Quartering to shots...?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NY Bowhunter, Oct 16, 2014.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Applauded when the deer is dead. Bashed when the deer is not recovered? I'm confused. Is it a good shot if pulled off but bad when not? The decision either way seems like it should be black and white to me.

2. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait for the higher percentage shot. We dont have to shoot. We can always wait for a better shot. Let it walk until a better option is available. If that better shot does not present itself, oh well, there is always next time but we should be taking only high percentage shots to increase our odds of a quick kill and speedy recovery.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is black and white to me. It's a risky shot that I won't take. I wait for a better angle. If it doesn't come then I don't shoot. It's ok to not shoot, we don't have to shoot at every deer in range. That is something that took some experience and maturity as a hunter for me to learn.

4. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are right, it is black and white. At least it should be. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter the outcome.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very little in life is black and white, and this isn't one those cases. To look at only one variable is the hight over simplification. It's shows one would rather cast judgment rather then evaluate and make the best decision based on the shot presented.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Um...I don't see this much here at all. We congratulate the successful hunt, applaud the successful recovery and admire the animal but most of us will never applaud the shot choice of a quartering to.

The window of success is much smaller and unless on the ground, close and very confident would this shot ever be a good choice...I am not saying that for myself though, as I would never take it ever myself.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally I say congrats because it’s hard to argue with a dead deer. However, I SMH behind the scenes.

8. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to disagree with the majority here somewhat, and here is why and my thinking when approaching this shot and others like it. What makes a high percentage shot vs. a low percentage shot? The ability and likeliness of executing the shot. If you have never practiced a quartering to shot, then you have zero reason to believe that in a hunting scenario your chances of making a quartering to shot are high, thus making it a low percentage shot. Now, if you practice these shots to the point you can make that shot 100/100 shots..well, why should it be considered a low percentage shot? Your PERSONAL preparation and practice, to me, has now made this a high percentage shot

It's no different than say an archer can consistently hit the "12ring" on a broadside deer target at 20yds, but at 30yds it becomes sporadic and less consistent. In that case a 30yd broadside shot on a deer is a low percentage shot.

I'm not saying my point of view is right, but I definitely think it's not wrong. Would I take I shot I wasn't completely positive that I could make? Nope. No hesitation to hang the bow back up. Would I take a shot others consider risky if I know beyond a doubt I can make, because I've made it 1000's of times already in preparation for the season? Yup...without hesitation. I practice on a 3d target, like most, all summer at any and all angles to get a realistic feel and idea of my success rate at different angles. Besides, how can I kno my limitations as an archer if I never test or push them?

Just my humble two cents.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I think he is saying applaud the situation and maybe even say “great shot” vaguely.

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

When you see pictures posted you can see where it entered and where it exited and determine the angle. I'm not naming any names but I've seen at least one regular posters take a 1/4 too shot that I personally didn't think was very high percentage.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is a tricky one to answer as there's a lot of scenarios that may be described as "quartering towards". A very slight quartering-to shot still presents a very high percentage shot and exposes a lot of vitals. The more you start turning in the more it gets iffy. There's truly no hard line that says "This is when you no longer take the shot". Additionally I think the proximity of the animal, the height of your treestand and the position of the animal's leg will also determine when you do or do not take the shot.

I personally have never been a fan of the hard quartering-to shot, but I won't say I haven't shot a few deer in my life where the exit hole was further back than the entry hole. Ultimately it's up to the archer at the time of the shot to decide whether it is an ethical one. When it doubt, always err on the side of caution.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with JZ, and I'll admit on the ground level with a deer under 20 yards I take the shot because it is a great opening...however from a stand I feel the percentage is low enough, despite my proficiency with a bow, to not take the shot.

**edit: I address this in later post but I really should have stated "I would consider taking the shot...but situation has to be perfect and still isn't my preferred choice and is only remotely possible for me personally on the ground".

13. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    So are we also placing quartering away shots in the low percentage brackett as well, seeing how the arrow is following the same path, albeit in the opposite direction?

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't congratulate people on what I think are stupid/low percentage shots when they kill a said deer. I don't care how big he is.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. On a properly executed quartering-away shot the arrow typically ends up either in front of, or directly in, the off side leg/shoulder. If you're shooting an animal quartering away and coming out behind the shoulder you're a bit too far back.

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're confused. He is referring to a quartering to shot as the arrow entering between the brisket and shoulder blade and continuing from there. Essentially a 180 of a quartering away.

Wait, so you claim in one post that most of us will not applaud a quartering to shot then go on in another post to say that you would take the shot under 20 because "it's a great opening"? I think it's time to hand in your badge.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

I really need to stop impulse posting, it gets me in trouble as such. I stated I would take the shot, but in all honesty I should have said I would consider it...however like stated it would have to be on the ground and on a highly calm animal. I state this because I've been blasted before for saying any quartering to shot should never be taken...however after numerous discussions with guys here, and other hunters I've come to realize there are some that can and will take this shot everytime presented when on the ground. Do I feel it is a high percentage shot or similar to quartering away or broadside...not even close. However, it is the lowest percentage shot I would ever consider...but I would prefer and more than likely would elect to wait for a quartering away or broadside shot.

I truly typed too fast and gotta stop that because it is misleading. In the end I feel the mindset of "I gotta shoot or I'll miss my chance" needs to stop. I do 98% of my hunting up a tree usually and it is broadside or quartering away or NOTHING. Only in a perfect situation would a quartering to shot be a viable and deadly choice (especially on Elk from what all my elk buddies say).

Apologies for the apparent double lipped responses.

18. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What circumstances would you have to consider before taking the shot? All things on a level ground, what is it that scares you about the quartering to? You're only encountering ribs, just like a broadside shot, albeit the area is smaller. But, like it has already been stated, there is a time and a place for everything.

19. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you're right. And I'm speaking in reference to the buck I just shot the other day. He was quartering to and I placed the arrow above the elbow and in the middle of where the leg bones make this: "<" pattern...below the shoulder blade above the leg bone (see Rey mysterio video thread-shameless plug??-) and exited behind the last rib. I would consider a quartering away shot with that path, in reverse, to be pretty money. But yes I'm with you qtr away you want to aim for that offside leg/shoulder.

Attached Files:

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It is just the size of the opening is all...it is just making myself believe it isn't that much different of an opening. Personally it is a confidence thing boiled down...you give me a quartering away or broadside deer I'll hit a softball sized spot with confidence...you give me a quartering to and I'd start pressing probably which I know would affect my accuracy personally. I don't advocate them, but I've stopped being anti-them all the time, but it takes one to be on the ground and highly proficient hunter for me to begin to be okay with it personally.