Lethal hit?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gutpile323, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I hate to make my first thread about this but I'm looking for advice on a long night. At 1030 this morning I shot a 8 point at 18 yards broadside. However my arrow did not exit and the shot looked farther back than I aimed. He ran off.. Not a death run but not a gut shot hunch either. I waited 90 minutes in the stand and left without disturbance.
    Went home to have lunch and came back with my pops at 2 o'clock. Its now raining very steadily. I bumped the buck and in a thicket on the edge of a field 100 yards from the shot.
    The arrow was still in him but looked like it was working its way out backwards and closer to the lungs than I thought. He ran 100 yards down the field then cut back in the woods.
    I feel horrible. He was calm and so was I. I know its my second buck tag of the year but I did the legal two does between bucks and he bedded 40 yards away at 9am and I had to wait him out before he stood up and walked past with very favorable winds.
    He's probably 175 pounds on his feet so he may survive but I just feel horrible I went in too soon and the shot didnt go through.
    Anyways what are your thoughts on a lethal hit a deer that size that didn't pass through but was bumped 3 1/2 hours later and made to run at least 100 more yards with an arrow working in him.
    For what it's worth all efforts by me will be spent on his recovery just need to hear opinions to pass the time.

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a definite gut shot to me, or else he would be dead by now. Give him the night then move in slowly. Putting money on it that he is dead or dying.

3. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for reading the post. With the down pour and plugged hole blood trailing was difficult. We backed out afterwards. He looked like he had a limp when he was bumped but no way was it an entrance shoulder hit that was all muscle. He was quartering a hair away if anything.

4. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Patience. I would wait another 6 hrs. I just recently shot a doe in the liver (not my best moment, or shot), and she took almost 7 hrs to pass. It sucks to hurt these majestic creatures like that but it happens. Give it time.

5. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I won't be touching it until the morning. Its at my work which is a large golf course.

6. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say he'll lay down and stiffen up and die tonight if not already. This happens. Let him die, go find him and move on.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would begin looking again in the morning. From your description it doesn't sound like a gut shot because you didn't get a pass-thru. You may have hit the off side shoulder or stuck a rib. In any event, I would be out there tomorrow after it gets light really well. I would go to the last place I saw the deer and search from there. Good luck to you.

Blessings........Pastorjim

8. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I feel real bad. The opportunity presented itself and he was calm and a shooter 8. Maybe heavier than 175 on his hoofs. The shot looked a little back but when he bumped it looked ok and he limped a bit. My other three deer this year since having my bow restrung have been pass through and quick recovery.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would not track until daylight tomorrow.

10. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. No energy will be spared in his recovery. Again I hate for this to be my first thread but I knew I could find help during the long night.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like a liver shot, he should be dead pretty soon. I won't worry about the blood trail so much as long as you paid attention to the direction he ran.

12. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I did watch his direction. Hopefully the arrow and run worked him some and he bedded right down again.

13. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck finding him! the way it sounds hes dead, get in there in the morning and put your hands on him. he wouldn't have bedded down so close if he wasn't really hurting.

14. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud. I'd feel so much better to close the case on it no matter the size or sex. Hopefully if he doesn't survive I find him on the property tomorrow I can still gut him and do some diagnosis to what exactly happened with the arrow.

15. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Well no luck today guys. Searched 3 hours with a buddy 20 yards away screening with me. There's still plenty of fingers to search tomorrow. I think I would have bumped or seen him if he was still alive. No buzzards. Bumped a fox near a thicket and was real hopeful but no luck.

16. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait until light....good luck