When should I plant food plots?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When should I start planting food plots in the spring so i can get them some of the nutrients to help them grow their antlers? Any specific thing I should plant in to help that in the spring? And same thing for in fall, when and what should I plant in the fall to help get deer in near my stand in the early season, because I live near a bunch of farm land and they take along time to cut it, and sadly i cant hunt there. So I want to compete with the competition!

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's really no way to answer that question. Food plot planting is determined by your location, weather and what you are planting. Do you want an annual(something you have to replant every year), or a perennial(plant once and lasts for several years). There's no magic bean that's going to grow deer antlers. Genetics is the #1 factor in antler growth. Good nutrition can help the deer reach their potential, so having a quality food source and minerals can be beneficial to antler development.

We really need to know what you are thinking of planting, the size of plot, location, deer density, soil quality, equipment available and then we can give you an educated suggestion.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: