Early antlerless seasons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tacklebox, Oct 14, 2014.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you live in a state that has an early antlerless season? What state is it, and are you allowed to harvest antlered deer with archery equipment during that season?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, New Jersey. We have an antler less season that opens 9/13 and it's earn a buck so you can shoot bucks in that season after you harvest a doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    OK but I am asking about a little different set of circumstances, states who have an early firearm antlerless season. Antlerless only for gun hunters. In these states which states will allow the take of antlered deer with archery equip.

4. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I've done a bit of research and from what I can tell it isn't many. Alot of the regs regarding the issue esp. here in KS are very grey.

5. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh okay, our firearm season don't start till late November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do :lol:

7. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pennsylvania has a doe only muzzleloader which is October 18-25. Then they also have a Junior/Senior doe hunt the 23-25. Yes, we can still hunt archery and shoot a buck.

8. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    duh.....

Thank you this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for....

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ohio has an early doe only muzzleloader season (this past weekend - October 11 & 12). The doe only rule applies to bowhunters as well. So not only do we get to wear don't shoot me orange, we get to see all the bucks that we can't shoot. What doesn't make sense to me is, Ohio is a 1 buck only state so why they didn't just make it either sex is beyond me. No matter what you hunt with you can only take 1 buck, so the weekend only hurts bowhunters.

10. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree, IMO if they want to have an early antlerless firearm season, then ALL antlered harvest should be closed for that weekend. Keep the honest people honest as they say...... I am seeing and hearing of waaayyyy too many bucks being killed with a gun last weekend during the early "doe" season in KS. It completely defeats the purpose of having a post rut firearms season IMO. I am not really against the early season, as I think it has its merits. (I'd rather see the early season and they should get rid of the late season where way to many "does" killed are shed bucks)

Which is why I posed the question on how many states allow archery antlered harvest vs do not, during any early season antlerless firearm season.

11. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa has a early muzzle loader season for 5 days in middle October but it is for anything. Buck or doe. Makes a guy nervous when he is out hunting and you hear one on the next property go off, really wonder if it was that buck you have been chasing.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But the limit in Ohio is still 1 buck per person so when they take one doesn't really make a difference. If you kill a buck in early season it can't breed with a doe but if you kill a doe in early season then it obviously can't birth fawns either so I really don't see the purpose of it. In my opinion they should either have it open to both or don't have one at all. If they wanted to reduce or increase the population they can play with the bag limit rather than adding an early/late season.

13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    KS is a one buck state as well BUT having a post rut firearm season vs an early season when there is a possibility of some chasing going on can directly effect buck harvest numbers.....

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa doesn't just hand out tags to every person who wants one.... unlike KS

15. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Doug. I had to pass on a buck last weekend due to the antlerless regs. I wouldn't mind an earlier gun season (before archery opens), but to have a doe only weekend mid-season doesn't make sense to me. Ohio also cut antlerless tags in many counties at the same time they implemented the early gun season...

16. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    No they don't. The early ML season is res only also...

17. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    The idea behind a mid Oct antlerless season is to insure the harvest of truly antlerless deer. I think many people are missing this point. Have the season too early and you will see BB's being harvested, as in Sept you often cannot tell a buck fawn from a doe fawn, whereas by mid Oct it is usually pretty obvious. Save your antlerless season till the end (beginning of Jan for example like here in KS) and you will see a high percentage of the antlerless harvest being shed bucks..... personally I would not mind giving up one weekend of chasing bucks with my bow in mid Oct to help insure the antlerless deer being killed are in fact does.....

good chance this also plays into the reduced doe tags you are seeing. KDWP finally woke up and reduced some units here this year as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  18. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    KS really needs to cut back on the # of tags IMO, way too liberal. When was the last time you heard someone apply and not draw? Everyone wants to hunt KS, well..... keep up that model and they won't.

19. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, for my zone it takes between 3-4 points, I know some zones you can get lucky with 2. But I live in one of the better zones so It is a little harder. Think Matt started buying points this year, so hopefully 2 more and he will get to make a trip up.

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not missing the point, I just disagree. I'm not advocating for it to be earlier, I'm advocating for not having one at all. Ohio has a late muzzleloader season for either sex in January also, which as you said will result in shed bucks being killed as "does". Instead of having an early and late muzzleloader seasons I would rather they got rid of both and increase the bag limit back to what it was. If they wanted to ensure does are being killed to help control the population they could easily accomplish this by extending the regular gun season by an additional week when does and bucks are easily distinguishable. Problem solved and no limitation for bowhunters.