Rey Mysterio won a free truck ride!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em, Oct 13, 2014.

1. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    *****WARNING--Long read, i'm telling a story and tried to keep it short....i wont hold it against if you skip to the bottom*****
    So this morning, my alarm goes off, i stagger out of bed shut it off and fix a (Mixing) bowl of cheerios, and remember i have cards to check from a day or two ago. So i take my cereal into the computer room, load up the card, start scrolling through the pics and BANG! The first daytime photos of Rey Mysterio! **He got his name because he randomly....and....mysteriously showed up on my cams about 3weeks ago :jaw:***

So anyways, daytime pics and he's dogging a doe in the last couple pics. This is a nice boost of confidence heading to the stand i have hunted 5 times since the 6th of October. I know it may seem like a lot, but I wasnt busting any deer goin in or out, and the card pulls on the way in revealed daytime buck activity and plenty of does rolling through, and if anything as the days...and consequently the rut...progressed i was actually seeing MORE deer each day.

Back to this morning, I walked down through the field along the standing corn, turn down the road that is cut in the middle, eased out into the corner of the field, hung a scent wick sprayed with Freedom Outdoor Adventures Smokin Hot Tail Doe Estrus (may sound early for that stuff for the rest of the country, but Florida's rut is in FULL swing right now...BIG TIME) to the left of the stand 30yds from my tree and then hang another in front of the stand again at 30yds.

The wind switched from a SE to a ESE as the sun rose...the deer typically come out from the W woodline/corner of the field. I know the wind sounds wrong, and i guess it was, but the deer around this crop field will enter it from just about anywhere, and i am confident in my scent control and scent elimination system and with the thermals rising I was sure i would be fine.

Fast forward to 7:40am...I was checking some messages on my phone and i look up to see 2 yearlings enter the field, both of which i have seen daily. So i get some footage of them, let the camera run and continue to reply to messages. After a couple minutes I heard what i thought was a grunt, i look up and see the 2 yearlings looking back intently in the woods, i hear another grunt, and shrug it off as it is probably one of the smaller bucks i have on camera. Just to be safe i turn on my 2nd angle cam behind and above me on, check my phone again, look up and there he stands at the field's edge :jaw::jaw::moose:.

I get the camera on him and recording, he starts running the doe yearling around checking to see if she was the origin of the estrus smell that had hit his nostrils. She runs off and he continues toward my stand, he is standing at 30yds, and quartering hard toward me, smelling the ground and looking around for this "Smokin Hot Doe" (see what i did there :D ), not seeing her or finding her, mainly because "she" doesnt exist, he begins to get nervous, but i have already come to full draw (and had been holding so for the 40seconds according to the footage i watched). He takes a step to his right offering a quartering too shot, but not harsh and perfectly make-able shot. (Before i get blasted for this, it is a shot i practice thoroughly and probably more than broadside shots, and is one i KNOW i can make)

I settle the pin just over his elbow, and with a smooth and crisp release the arrow was sent on its way. I watch it disappear above the elbow and he runs off tail tucked, as he turns i see my arrow dangling out of the offside, just behind the last rib....perfect. Blood is pouring out, i listen as he runs out of sight...leaves crunching, twigs breaking, palmettos thrashing...CRASH and a final kick....then silence....my biggest buck was a mere 40yds away....

I JUST ARROWED THE BIGGEST BUCK OF MY LIFE!!!! To say i kept composure would be an out right lie haha. I was so stoked, fist pumping, grinning, double fist pumping....after the intial celebration i sat back down and just let out a sigh of relief....all the hard work during the summer and the unleashed fury of an underground nest of yellow jackets resulting in an onslaught of stinging madness that i faced when hanging that stand has paid off and wasnt in vain.

i'll shut up now, here he is. guessing between 4.5 and 5.5yo. gonna get him aged at the taxidermist to find out for sure. Guessing him to be around 115" and while it might not seem like much to you lucky SOB's (meant lovingly) in the midwest that is a high caliber buck for down here.....back to shutting up and showing off....
    ***Obsession Evolution 70#, 443gr VAP, and 100gr Rage Hypodermic (gashed top of the heart and both lungs)****

***UPDATE: He gross scored 107 3/8***

[video=youtube_share;3cF8RgSDYWY]http://youtu.be/3cF8RgSDYWY[/video]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome buck! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wisBOWhunter

wisBOWhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet buck man and awesome story .

4. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrates brother! great story! Nice buck for Florida for sure!

5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great buck!!!

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    AWESOME!!!!!! Huge congrats on it all coming together for you! I love seeing hard work pay off!

7. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Im going to work on editing everything together tomorrow, should be short...haha didnt have much time for "B-Roll". Shot him at 8am i think....sunrise was at 7:21am i believe

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats on the great buck :tu:

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I am definitely going to eat a bowl of Cheerios before my next hunt.

10. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    Theyre like Wheaties......but for hunters lol

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a really nice buck!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck man, well done!

13. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know guys from here in the midwest that have not killed one that big.

14. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck and a great story to go with it. Congrats!

15. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on a great buck and an amazing story!

16. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck and story. Awesome that you got it on video!

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome congrats man!

18. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

19. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Sounds like you earned him! Im excited to see the video!

20. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Great buck!