Doe with her fawn

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Simplicity, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this afternoon I passed up a shot on a doe... She was pretty good in size and had a good shot on her but it didn't feel right. She had her fawn with her. This made the 3rd time so far this year that a doe and a fawn walked in on my hunt. It's also early in the season which also helped ease my decision.

I'm relatively new to bowhunting but I've been out in the woods plenty of times. I know that if she was alone I would've taken the shot but seeing she had her fawn with her... I found it really hard seeing myself shooting her. I know it's just a deer and all but I have some moral, enough not to take a mother from her fawn. So I didn't shoot.

What's your guys take on these situations? Shoot her and try not to think about? Shoot her and feel bad? Shoot her and not even cross your mind? Don't shoot her and feel good? Don't shoot her and feel like a wasted opportunity?

,Thanks.

2. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's all personal preference really. In reality almost any doe you shoot will have a young one with them or near by be it this years fawn or last. At this point in time the fawn will be fine. But I understand not wanting to take the shot.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to get a mixed review of answers.

Mine is shoot if you want, pass if you want.

My opinion, I shoot. Either one of them, we're there to help control the population. Almost every doe that is shot probably has a fawn that she was either chased from or ran off leading up to the rut.

I'm not compassionate or emotional, just try to make a humane kill and fill the freezer. In the end that's what we're there for.

It's no different than shooting a spike or passing in hopes of a booner, personal preference and neither choice is wrong.

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I guess I understand the point in which any doe probably has a fawn near by at this time of season... Just at the time it didn't feel right and plus I'm really looking to fill my tag on a buck I've been keeping an eye for.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Always up to the hunter on this one.

... I'm shooting that doe all day :evilgrin:

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it was my first doe I would shoot if not then I would pass

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly share your thoughts. I've shot a lone doe early in the season, only to have the fawns come in. The doe dropped in her tracks about 12 yards from my stand. The fawns came right to her, nudged her, and bawled for what seemed like forever. Even after I ran them off, they kept coming back. After that experience, I have just decided not to kill a doe in the early season. Just a personal decision by me. I don't think any less of people who choose otherwise.

8. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the fawn still has spots, then i pass the doe. On some of our properties, late bred doe won't drop their babies until August so their fawns are still quite little by the time season starts.

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will not shoot a doe with a fawn.

10. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm afraid that would happen if I shoot one with a fawn and I'm not sure if I would be able to go through that without feeling terrible. But I do not think less of people who choose to.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it looks like the fawn is bug enough to survive on its own I'm shooting. Matter of fact shot the one I shot this year had a fawn with her. Have seen it couple times since and seems to be doin just fine.

It's still a kind of hard decision, but it doesn't take long for the feeling of guilt to wear off. For me anyway.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Twice I have shot either a solo doe or a doe with other adult doe only to find they were lactating. So they had a fawn somewhere. If the fawn doesn't have spots you are good to go.

I do not think saying you have morals is the correct term. It is not immoral, it is a personal choice. My choice is I do try to pass on does with fawns and only take lone does or a doe from a group with other adult does. But as I just said that does not always mean you are getting a dry doe.

13. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot a doe w/ fawn in early season, but I will shoot the same doe in December. In 2 weeks that doe hanging around your stand will become buck bait.

14. rtabaka

rtabaka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my wonder is at what age are fawns self sufficient? If you do see a fawn and it's older, then I say think if your little ones at home and take the doe. If the fawn send young and you want to pass then sleep easier at night and pass it up

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same.

But that's my preference, and I'm not against anyone else doing it. If you felt it wasn't right, then you did what you felt was the right thing to do.

16. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spotty fawn? Pass

Non-Spotty? :bow:

17. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doe with spotted fawn = bow stays in hanger....A yearling doe with no spots is a different story