Safety First then teamwork! accident and lucky.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jtrump, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So for us in Florida the season has been going for almost a month now and the same ole routine has set in, and this tends to lead to mishaps.

Well This morning I got in my lone wolf climber and scurried up the tree as fast as possible got 25-26ft off the ground, and the mosquito's were eating me alive "FLorida" so, i quickly pulled my thermacell from my pack and turned it on, First mistake I was distracted. I then sat down on the seat and attached the side clips, first gave the left side a little snug, and then the right side. I then pulled them both at the same time to get them firm and I hear "SNAP".. Right side breaks and sends me out of the tree.... I never attached my safety harness as I usually do the moment I get there.

Needless to say, I am ok. I was in shock felt like I was falling for along time luckily I didn't go head first I guess i subconsciously grabbed the stand and it put me going down feet first. Hit the ground hard and have a nice set of bruised ribs compliments of a Cyprus stump next to me, and the heals of my feet.

Attached is a picture of what the climber looked like zoomed in from the ground looking up. and the other is the picture of the latch that broke. The worst part was having to bear hug the tree and climb up it 25feet to get the damn climber back down :rant:

Side note: does anyone know where I can purchase those types of clips maybe made of a little more solid construction? Not blaming the stand was my fault however I'd like to feel safe getting back up in it?????

Anyway TLDR: Keep your head on a swivel, be safe so everyone comes home to their familys at the end of the season

Attached Files:

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go buy a lottery ticket, today is your lucky day

3. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just might do that considering the drawing is tonight. Got ice on my ribs at the moment though ;(

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear that you got lucky. Doesn't always happen.

5. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone have an idea about the replacement clips?

6. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow!! Close call!! Glad to hear you are only sore! Could have been a lot worse!! I don't leave the ground without being attached anymore!

7. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you are ok. That is a long fall and could have ended very very differently. I'm not sure where to buy the clips. I'm sure you can get replacements from Lone Wolf. As far as stronger ones, you can probably find some online like at amazon or something. Local hardware store would probably have them as well. I clip on to the tree before i step up into the climber and don't unclip until i am on firm ground. Takes me longer to work up the tree because i am constantly having to undo the strap and raise it but Id rather take it slow and be safe. Glad you are ok!

8. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This was the hand climber or the sit n climb?

9. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad that you are okay and nothing is majority wrong. Could have been a heck of a lot worse. One thing i am confused about is how that clip breaking sent you out of the tree? I have the lone wolf hand climber and to me that doesn't make sense to me. Sitting down in the stand and pulling the straps tight to fully secure the top into place so it won't move when you stand up. But if you were siting down the whole time and the clip snaps nothing should have moved? Because sitting on the top should fully lock it to the tree. So i guess i am asking how that clip snapping made you fall out of the tree?

10. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your lucky. I've seen fatalities from no more than 8 ft up.

11. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was wondering the same thing, i don't see how that strap breaking would lead to a fall. I'm glad your ok, a fall from that height could easily be deadly.

12. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering the same thing...

13. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get the thirdhand stabilizer straps, I have them and they really make the stand solid in the tree.

14. Mankey2k12

Mankey2k12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lone wolf has a problem. Buckles. I have 2 busted in my sit & climb. Is there a warranty?

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you re ok man. Do like I do and light the Thermacell before you leave the truck. I do it so it will be working really well by the time I start to climb the tree. Clip it to your stand or backpack so it is working for you as you climb.

16. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, when I placed the seat part of the climber to the tree I like to leave it canted quite a bit so that when I sit down on it it isn't perfectly flat or angled down of course, so it acted almost like a spring, when that one side popped from the tension it caused the right side "popped side" to spring up and the left side to lean down, therefor tipping me over the edge. As the day goes on I'm getting sore in more places. Nothing is broken, ribs and feet hurt, few bruises on my arms must have been when i tried to grab the climber as I was going over.

I bought my lotto ticket 10 minutes ago and had dinner with the fam, everyone be careful out there!

17. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for clearing that up, and again I'm very happy your not hurt worse.

18. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So glad you are ok. Lucky for sure. On another note, LOVE the title of this thread!!

19. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you're able to post this. My climber makes me nervous in the dark mornings. Thinking a about a lone wolf lock on with steps

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

20. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    Always stay harnessed from the ground until hunting height. This is a perfect example of something going wrong that one would never expect