Blood Trailing Flashlights.........

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious what others are using.

A couple of years ago I had a 5w white LED Cree headlamp that I originally bought for coyote hunting. It was great for blood trailing, etc. Someone broke into my truck about two years ago and decided they needed it more than me. Since then I've been using cheaper LED lights, but after tracking Mike Pearce's doe last weekend I realized I really need something better. Preferably a headlamp too.

Anyone have a suggestion on a high quality light? I'd prefer LED and I'm not afraid to spend some $$$ if it's something that will last and work better than the $30 junk 230 lumen Bushnell LED flashlight I have now.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am old school I go with the coleman gas lantern with the globe half covered with foil

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently carry an EagleTac T20 XM-L with something like a 800lumen output. This thing is absolutely great for tracking deer. The amount of light that this style of light throws out is ridiculous. I can highly recommend a light like this, but with that being said if I was going to buy a new one today it would be a different brand with a little easier function.

I am thinking my next one will be a Klarus Xt11 XM-L2 820Lumen. The only reason I would make the switch is because of the user interface on the Klarus is easier. It has a double button on the tailswitch to go through the different outputs of the light rather then turning the head like the EagleTac.

If you look for online coupons I think you can pick up a light like one of these for between $60-$90 through Goinggear.com or Batteryjunction.com?

I took a little grief from some buddies for spending so much on a flashlight when I bought mine, but now a couple of them own the exact flashlight as I do..haha!

Here is a couple videos if I can get them embedded:

EagleTac:
    Eagletac T20C2 MkII XP-G S2 & XM-L T6 Flashlight Review - YouTube

Klarus:
    Klarus XT11 XM-L2 820 Lumen Flashlight Extended Review - YouTube

These videos should start playing at the real world test part, but if you are interested in more on the lights watch the whole video. The guy at Goinggear does a very good job of showing all the functions/accessories for all of the lights that they sell.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    $60-$90 on a flashlight? I have lost and broke so many a maglight is the most expensive I will go

5. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Haha Thats what everyone I know says until they see the things perform. Did you watch the video comparing the lights to your maglight?

Also when you spend a little bit on a flashlight it tends to be something you wont lose.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Kill them when it's light out. Problem solved. :D

I've been very happy with my Cyclops lights for blood trailing. I have both the Flare and the Mevo. They work great and they won't break the bank.

MEVO 255

As for headlamps, I've been using the same Streamlight Trident for the past 3-4 seasons with no complains. I like the fact that the switch is very tactile so I can turn it on and off easily with gloves on. I typically use the white LED when walking into my stand and then switch to the lower power green LED for in-stand duties like setting up my camera arm, getting my bow ready, etc.

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Costco has some kick *** flashlights that are small and cheap and they make one that's a little bigger and adjustable but they aren't headlamps like you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Petzl Tikka 2 and haven't been happy with it's brightness (expected for this model I suppose). I'm looking to upgrade as well and the Streamlight was one I was eyeing up. I definitely like the R/G modes for treestand setup in the dark.

9. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a cabelas branded Princeton Tec headlamp that i love. Hi and low red and hi and low white. I use these to walk in and out and also have a back up almost identical, still princeton but not auite as bright.

If trailing i also use a handheld and have about 4-5 that all run on aaa and put out about 80-115 lumens. I keep them all over the place so i dont worry about the strongest and best light. When they get lost or all break ill likely pick up a regilated styled light and use it every time.

10. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LED lights are it for me. The white light they produce makes for easy blood trailing. I prefer headlamps so I can have a free hand.

11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Surefire... awesome but expensive and the batteries aren't exactly cheap either. Also it is important to always carry an extra set. Only get like an hour of runtime on them and they give no warning before the die, just goes black and always at the worst time. I have a Petzal headlamp and it is OK, but recently picked up a Duracell headlamp (LED) at WM and I haven't used the Petzal since. White and Red LED's and it is both compact and BRIGHT!

12. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Almost bought a Streamlight ProTac HL-3 today on impulse when I went to Cabelas on my lunch break. I love the size and output, but am a bit concerned about battery life.

I'm trying to determine if I want to go the spotlight route with more/bigger batteries so I get more runtime, or a smaller/compact tactical type flashlight with ridiculous output and limited battery life. I'm starting to think I'll go the route of a compact light and just carry spare batteries..........

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking for something for quite some time. I remember when the staff guys got the cyclops at the gtg a couple of years ago. It was a good looking light.

Is it a must that good lights run off if expensive batteries?

15. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I also looked at the Cyclops Sirius and Flare today. If I was going to go the route of a spotlight I'd probably pick one of those, they have great reviews online and seem to be a good option. I'm thinking eventually I might buy one of those and keep it in the storage compartment in my ATV. They are just a bit too big though to be carrying around in my main hunting pack.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My Flare stays in the truck until I need it. If I happen to hit a deer at dark and the recovery is short and sweet my head lamp works just fine which is always in my pack. If it's going to be a search & rescue mission I'm waiting a few hours anyways so I'll be back at the truck to get it.

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my flashlights from Dollar General.

18. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest if you go the tactical route with limited battery life then check out batteryjunction.com to stock up on batteries. I have the option of running 1 18650 or 2 cr123's. I use the cr123's and use the Rayovac lithiums from the website. I did not want to hassle with recharging the 18650's.

I pay $10 less then I would for the highly rated Surefire batteries and do not notice any difference in runtime.

Then again if you have somewhere local you can buy them, then thats great but I dont have that option so this is the best deal I can find with the shipping costs and still keep me under what I would pay local.

19. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, if I go this route I don't really care about the cost of the batteries. The ProTac HL-3 takes 3x cr123's so I kinda have to use them based on the odd number. I would likely only use this light when actually blood trailing so if I kept it loaded with fresh batteries and kept 6x spares in the pack it should be plenty for what I need and would give me 4.5 hours of light. You can buy a 12 count bulk pack of cr123's for $25 or so, that's a small fee to pay for two years of the perfect blood trailing light.

20. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah thats basically the only time I use my light. I think after shipping through them a 12 pack comes to $19-20ish..? Im just a cheapskate anything to save a few dollars..haha! If you order from them dont forget to google coupon codes as well, they generally have a couple to save a little $