Question regarding the Success of Others

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AshAid, Oct 10, 2014.

1. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honest question here, and would love to hear others feeling on this.

Yesterday, my Cousin put down a nice 8pt on his GF Fathers property at 3:00pm in Pa....got the text as I was driving to work for the 6p-6a shift...then last night around 10:00pm while at work a friend of mine texts me a pic of a Doe he got at 6:45ish in Md on Public Land....

My question to you all is: when you see this is there a bit of wow that stinks I wish it were me, (trust me I'm really happy and glad for them, more so cause my friend is the 1 who I made a thread about last month who this is his 1st season Deer Hunting and this was his 1st Deer ever) I only felt this way knowing I'm sitting on a goose egg right now and haven't had any encounters and actually haven't seen anything the last few times out...and the Public Land my friend got his Doe on I was there on Monday for a early morning- till 3:00 sit and didn't see anything, not even in the distance.

Again don't think I'm not happy for them cause I really am, but there is a human nature side to us all and I really wish that were me lol...if anything it makes me what to get back out as soon as I can and put extra effort into each hunt but sadly which isn't until next Friday the 17th....with my Childrens Birthday party tomorrow and work on the 6a-6p shift next week.

Don't shoot me for this post either

2. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope I am just happy for them and like you said it gives you a little more motivation to get back out there.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am happy for them, then again I don't have anyone else hunting the land I do

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I often want to slash their tires.... :evilgrin:

5. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think its in our blood a little bit to wish it were us that harvested a nice buck a buddy texts you. Its even ok to have friendly competition. As long as we remember were all in this together its all good.

6. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When my lovely husband gets something while I'm at work - I get so irritated. But I mean I am happy for him, but just makes me mad I'm at work and he gets something. Especially since I put just as much time in, lol.

I'm always happy for everyone (If it is legal!) - it's an accomplishment.

7. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    all the responses from everyone thus far are great, but this post is exactly how I felt at the time lol..same way and thoughts as well, more then likely cause I was going to work and at work and knowing it is going to be awhile before I get back out there lol

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I figure there will always be big deer killed, either in my circle of friends or just my hunting area. I think it does put extra stress on me to harvest a mature buck.
    Every person has their own way, their own ethics, their own luck. There will always that "guy" that kills the monster every year, and in the back of your mind, you're thinking...@@&)
    I've come to realize, if I do everything I can do, 200%, my season is a success. The big deer will come, as a side effect of doing things right.
    To conclude this ramble..) if the person whom I know has had the "luck", is doing everything they can, when they hunt, I am truly happy for them. I will not lower my standards in the way i hunt, just to kill a big buck. That way the jealousy.. Seems to just go away. We weren't even playing the same game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When friends or family get a deer I am happy for them even more so if they have put in the effort to take that animal and not just shot their bow once went out to a random spot and killed something (I think we all know somebody kind of like that).

But even though I am happy for them it doesn't mean that I don't harbor a certain amount of jealousy that they are out hunting and I am not because of work or w/e. In my group of friends and family that hunt we like to blow each other some **** about anything and everything so even though we may tell them great job its usually followed by some sort of jab or funny comment so that usually makes me feel better.

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When this happens I just call the game warden!!!!!!! LOL

11. Celtic Viking

Celtic Viking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get a little envious sometimes, but that just usually motivates me even more. I'm a competitive person by nature. This year has also been one of my worse, I have only seen the same couple of spike bucks over and over again. I'm going to try to change up tactics and hope for some better results. You know what they say, perseverance is a hunter's greatest attribute.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be honest and say I get jealous of the bow hunters who hunt states/areas that produce allot of nice bucks.

13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always happy for them. If there was competition involved there would be little jokes/jabs about it but if anything maybe get some inspiration or motivation from it. I've got some people I know that get overly bitter about others success and it really illustrates from the outside view how it can bring down someone's happiness. Usually if bitter/grudging about something there's more too. Human nature I can understand some envy and all, that's realistic, but some to the point of holding grudges or losing friends, sabotaging, etc is sad at best. I figure someone's always gonna get bigger better deer, have better house, job, cars, wives, kids, pets, toys, and anything else, and some will always consider what I or anyone else has is better too. I try and work for something different if I want it, and if it doesn't work out keep trying or be ok with whats there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I happy for all my friends...well except one....lol. I swear guys, I got a buddy who only hunt maybe 3 mornings a year. He is just lucky, kills a big one every year that I can remember. The issue is, he is not hunting some super land either...lol. Oh well, I do wish I was that lucky though.

15. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always happy when people that I know get deer, but I'll admit that a little part of me might get a little jealous or wish it was me, especially if it's a big buck. My dad and I were at work a couple years ago when his buddy called from the tree stand saying he just laid down a big 10. He came to work and showed us. I was definitely a little jealous that day.

16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most definitely!!! I'm tickled to death that my friends have had success but it makes me just that more anxious to get out there and get hunting. I'm the eternal optimist and I'm a very competitive person by nature. I always think I'll have success when I go out.
    Yes, I'm like you. I wish it was me. If they call to help track/drag a deer I'm just as excited!!

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing that bothers me is when people don't work in the fall so they have every day to go out and shoot a big buck or a limit of ducks and then parade around acting like the king of whatever species they are hunting just because they do it 24/7. Not really jealousy just annoying to me.

18. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love seeing hunting success pictures. I hate knowing that I still have such a long time before I can get out and hunt. It should get better because we are at that stage where we can start scouting hard and not have to worry so much about the deer completely moving. The temps are dropping and the rifle hunters are out in full force.

19. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am happy for them no doubt, but as you said I do get, I would say, jealous. Just a smidge and it is only there for a second or two then goes away. I also love putting people on big deer and take so much pride in doing so. I'm ready to knock a big one down for myself though!

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't care less what others get from an envy standpoint. My success or failure rests squarely on my own decisions. I'll be happy for whatever anyone takes. If I want to be in the winner crowd I just have to work a little harder.