Non Rubber Boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So after many years of wearing rubber boots to bowhunt, I'm convinced at this point they really aren't the best option for most situations we see. After seeing some discussion about boots in another thread, it seems I'm not alone on this. I wanted to see what some others were wearing in both warmer weather situations as well as cold weather situations.

For me, I've seen that rubber just doesn't last like leather or cordura, your feet sweat like crazy and when you stop moving that moisture makes you cold, and if you actually walk long distances they don't give you the support and comfort that a real hunting boot does. I've also watched deer nearly turn inside out when walking across my trail when using rubber boots, so I'm not convinced they make a noticeable scent difference, there is too much of your body not in the boot to matter IMHO.

Anyhow......what non-rubber boots are you wearing? If you have multiple pairs for different types of temps/weather, can you share the details? How long have you had them? Anyone put serious miles (literally hundreds) and have feedback on them?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a pair of Irish Setters for about three years. Really well built and my feet never get cold. I am in creeks and ditches quite a bit and the side tread helps quite a bit. I think they were around $150.00. I will never go back to a rubber boot for deer hunting.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a pair of Field and Stream waterproof boots with Scentlok and I really like them. I've been using them for about 4 years now and would buy another pair.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You know my story a bit Matt. I had a pair of Meindl Denali for 6 years and loved them. They were uninsulated. They have amazing support and were bulletproof the first 5 years. I wore them all over the Canadian Shield in Ontario and beat the crap out of them. I even wore them as a work boot the last three years, which is what finally did them. I bet I wore them on average of 175-200 days a year. Conservative figure of 8 miles a day at 175 days a year for 6 years is approximately 8400 miles in them. Because of my good luck with them, as you know, I just ordered and received a new pair of Meindl Perfekt Extremes. They are 400 gram and have an 11" upper, compared to the 8-9" (can't remember) on the Denali. Wearing them around the house, they feel awesome, though I need to get used to the feel of the taller boot. I'll give you a full report when I put 100+ hard miles on them in November in Ontario.

5. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to rocky because this year I have to hike 1.25 miles to get to my spot and rubber dont seem to cut it.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh...what a great thread! I turned my back on rubber boots a few years back and IMO it's one of the best hunting decisions I've made. The days of cold, clammy feet are over.

This fall I'll be sporting 3 different boots. Two of them are the new LaCrosse Quickshots, one non-insulated the other with 600 grams of Thinsulate. I have the non-insulated ones pretty well broken in and I'm really liking them a lot.

When it gets real cold I'll do one of two things. Either put a set of Hot Mocs w/handwarmers over my 600 gram boots or switch to a set of 1200-1500 gram Pac boots. The past few years I've been rocking a set of 800 gram Rocky Lynx with the Hot Mocs and it's worked well.

I still wear my rubbers during turkey season, for some shed hunting, or when I know I'm going to encounter high water but I would say 80% of the time I'm in my regular hunting boots.

7. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My rubber boots suck! They were free hand-me-downs from my father-in-law. He passed away and they were new in the box. My mother-in-law wanted me to have them just so she didn't see the new box laying around. This is my 5th year in them. My feet sweat and I can't get them off. The soles come out when my foot does and now I think they are leaking. I wear them because everyone say rubber is better. The rocky's I have are more comfortable and more supportive and equally as warm. When did rubber boot become bad? This is a new one on me, but I like it

8. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ditched my mucks last year for a pair of Rocky L2 mobility hunting boots. They are incredible. 400 gr thinsulate and a gortex liner. I will likely never buy boots again that don't feature gortex. I'm a sweaty footed person in general, (so my mucks had puddles in them after a long hunt) but the gortex keeps me waterproof and allows my feet to breath. I sat some days with wind chill well below 0 and those boots with a pair of wool socks had me comfortable on 4 hour sits. I should have bought a few pairs.

9. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is a reasonable amount of money to pay for good boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Danners for both warm and cold weather 400 and 1200 and like them both!

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends what you're using them for, how much you'll abuse them and what your expectations are.

12. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of 2 year old Lacrosse rubbers and love them. I don't do long hikes in them but have to walk thru a 12" deep creek to get to and from my stand. I have never seen a deer hit my trail I walk and turn. I do see a lot of them walk the same trail as me, but they are mostly 1-2 year olds. Its the only reason I've kept wearing rubber boots, although I really like them and my feet stay warm. If I were to get a leather pair, I would almost certainly get the boot blankets covers like Justin was saying. I don't do any stalk hunting. My buddy has a pair of the Mendle's and Kenetrex Like the style Dan was saying and swears by them but they are $300-$500, now available thru Cabelas. I don't feel like spending that kind of money down in this part of the country.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    For midwest whitetail treestand hunters, I don't think there's a need to spend that much on leather boots either. The only reason I spent $359 on my latest pair, is because I'll be doing a ton of walking in rocky terrain with a lot of elevation changes. I also tried on a pair of $479 Crispi and $459 Kenetrek and they didn't feel nearly as comfortable as the Meindl, which was $100+ less.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Dan. $125-$200 will buy you a nice set of boots that will be more than adequate for hunting whitetails in the Midwest.

15. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Lacrosse Silencer 1000's. They are very light, and keep my feet super warm. I actually got them at a shoe store up here on sale for 40 bucks a piece. Normally 110.00. I should have bought 10 pair, I like them that much.

16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mason Shoe?

17. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of cabelas outfitter pro leather boots. They are not insulated, but I like them a lot. I think I paid $139 a few years ago for them.

18. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You bet. 3 years ago during their tent sale.

19. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually love my boots. They are just standard issue military boots. Not sure of the maker. Have put around 150 miles on the pair so far. They aren't to heavy they are breathable (one pair) but only water resistant. Also Uninsulated. My other pair is insulated a little more and with a pair of wool socks they are fine for NJ December. They other pair is also not as breathable but water proof. Only boots I'll wear. And they have great ankle support. This is the pair I use for turkey, summer and fall.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 pairs of Under Armour rubber boots that I really like. But as soon as it gets a little cold I switch. I had a pair of Rockies I wore for about 7 years and they were pretty beat. I recently bought a pair of Bushnell Avalanche boots and so far I really like them.

[​IMG]