What a day......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RugerRedbone, Oct 7, 2014.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This year I picked up a new piece of property near my job site. I got written permission and printed out maps from the state showing property lines, in other words I had my **** together to hunt hunt this property. An older guy caught wind of this and flat out told me him and his group had permission there and I would be trespassing if I showed up. He told me he had no problem calling the law on me and had done so on others before. He told me the guy I got permission from did not even own the property, and wouldn't listen to anything I had to say about it.

Well today after work I climbed up a tree and had just settled in for a hunt when I saw the old guy coming through the woods. He went to a tree about 10 yards from me and started setting up a stand. I whistled at him and when he saw me he got bent out of shape telling me I'm trespassing and he's calling the cops. AGAIN I tried to tell him I had every right to be there and he would not listen. We had about an hour wait before NRP showed up and I showed him many times the paperwork I had but he wouldn't even look at it.

When the officer arrived he looked at my paperwork and the older guys he consulted the tax maps on his laptop. And guess what? I have permission to the parcel we we on NOT him, and he doesn't actually have permission on any of it anymore. Since he got permission for himself and his group that property has been split up and sold numerous times. I almost feel bad for the guy but if he had just listened to me we could've worked something out. Instead he has to call the rest of the guys in his group and tell them the written permission they are carying isn't worth a thing.

2. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow sucks your hunt for something that could have been taken care of before the season. Good luck on the new parcel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you made it clear to HIM, that he's not allowed on that property again!

4. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I did what he should've done before season started. I told him I could care less what he does as long as he realizes that I have the right to be in there and he doesn't mess me up again. I'm not trying to run the guy out of a spot he hunted for 50 years wether he has permission or not, I just wanted a place to hunt after work.

5. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

wow what a horrible situation there Ruger....hate to say this but your a better man then me cause I actually think after the run in today and previously you had with this guy I would have more then likely said some things to him that I would be shameful of later on but sounds like he was just a stubborn OLD man who thought he was in control......sorry to hear this Brother but glad it all worked out in the end...and it's great you had all your ducks in the pond before the season...good job there

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man Ruger, this property has been nothing but problems for you. I would say stick with it and maybe you will be rewarded with a big buck this season

7. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too think your wisdom in these matters will lead to some great harvest and rewarding experiences.

8. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope so, I knew what the outcome to this was going to be and tried like hell to stop him before he called. Like I said I felt bad for him but at the same time he was trying to get me a $450 trespassing ticket so I don't feel that bad.

9. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing you had you *&@% together!

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I'm always telling folks on here that no matter what the situation is, get permissions in writing. A handshake and exchanging phone numbers just ain't good enough anymore.

Glad it worked out for you. I bet the old guy knew darn well the current status of the property. There's no telling how many people he's bluffed out that way.

11. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    In MD permission has to be in writing, verbal agreements mean nothing.

12. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say he got exactly what he deserves. So, did your hunting territory on the property just increase exponentially?

13. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    No it's still exactly what I had before. The property maps I printed from online show the lines very clearly.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ruger, you are a good man.

15. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir, I try.

16. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish people realized being ignorant gets you no where