Guys who pack in...How do you not sweat!!!!???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Oct 7, 2014.

1. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been packing in my stuff for years (stand with pack) and every time I get to the stand I'm soaked. anyone have any recommendations on how to stay dry while walking in? I've tried taking my time and that doesn't work well either. I usually go anywhere from 1/2 a mile to a mile in and am carrying around 25 lbs. total. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys.. If you see a naked guy walking in the woods.. its just DoubleLung making his way to his tree. :lol:

For real tho.. I think its a problem we all have. I just wear as little as I can and wait until I start cooling off and getting cold in my stand to put more cloths on.

3. Nathaniel4545

Nathaniel4545 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I have the same issue, regardless of weather, and find myself in a tee shirt walking around even if it is below freezing. I have had days where the foam straps on my pack are soaked through. I would say that you may need to work on your health and exercise but I am not really sure that is a factor. I am considered overweight but workout five days a week so that I can hit the field in fall with no issues and have done so for a while now and still sweat. I am sure it is just genetics but you have to really find what works best for you. Also I did purchase a set of firstlite clothing last year and the way the merino wool wicks moisture away from the body seems to work great for me. I would recommend checking hunting gear/breathablility and make sure you have a proper layer system.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will try to wear just the essential base layers in and pack most of my other clothes in with me then finish getting dressed at the stand. I will often times change shirts as well if I am really sweaty.

Another thing you can do is in the off season take long walks or hikes with a pack on so you get used to carrying that weight. The better shape you are in the better you will fair come hunting season.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe try going a little earlier and walking slower? I don't know, I have a short walk but it's just something that I thought of that might help.

6. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:

This is last resort, but I think I would give it a shot or at least shorts and a tank top and then get dressed when I'm at my stand site, but then I have to carry more gear on my back.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hoverboard....

8. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:

I have been thinking of utilizing my mountain bike... don't know how well that will work

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get in better shape.
    Wear only your base layers.
    Cut down on weight.
    Take a bike in if it's all trails.

And the last option would be to just deal with it.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take off your hat. Wear light socks. Wear only a tshirt or under shirts that wick away moisture. Remove gloves if possible. Roll up your pant legs.

Then when you get to the stand set your stand up. Then put on your new warmer socks. Climb the stand and then start putting on your warmer upper body stuff only when you have cooled down. Probably like 10 minutes or so after you sit down. Keep your hat off until you cool down.

11. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brothers
    When I pack in my ground blind I pack it in with a black tee shirt and jeans. I try to get my wife to drop me off as close as I can. Then I set up my ground blind and change my shirt and wipe down with towel I packed in. I then spray down with 99% and apply my cover scent even in my hair, and in my arm pits. I hunt the wind and pray.
    Scotty

12. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try to go in with shorts and a tee. I'm not fat and work out so don't think thats the issue.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear minimal. No hat and a thin base layer shirt inside out. Practice your stalk and walk slow. When I get up the stand and get settled I'll take off the the base layer shirt and turn it back outside in but sit for a while with my shirt off and just cool down and dry off. I can only imagine what my scent must be doing to the area but I'll start layering back up as I start to get cool.

14. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I do public land hunts from my boat I usually still end up with a good walk with my stand and gear. At least on the first trip anyway. I leave my stand in the same spot for at least two days. If I don't find a spot good enough for two days, I keep looking until I do. I wear light weight clothes and have a change packed with me along with heavier layers when appropriate. I have long carried a scentproof bag to put my sweaty clothes in after I change at the tree.I just use the ones scentlok makes as they are big enough for my small daypack and pants ,shirts ,socks. Seems to work great. Usually only have to do this every other day as im not packing weight on day 2 . If im dragging a deer, I figure it doesn't matter then anyway.

15. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Recently bought a game cart. I'm going to rig it up better for packing in. I just used it for taking out a deer. So much easier!

16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kinda fat... I sweat sitting on the couch!! I just wear a base layer and get dressed once I'm in the tree all cooled down. For morning sits I'm in the tree two hours before legal shooting light to accommodate the issue, so even by the time I've cooled down and dressed I still have plenty of time before shooting light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pack in with climber and other essentials, probably have about 26-28 lbs that I hike in. Definitely get sweaty, especially when I climb up the tree. I strap my jacket to my pack and go in as little as possible (And still get sweaty). I reco taking your time and not putting the warmer gear on until you cool off. Also good to wear sweat wicking materials (IE wool socks).

Next year, I'm going to do my best to get fixed stands in place well ahead of time to make getting started easier. This is my 1st year so definitely still learning as I go. All part of the experience!!

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been known to take out in my gym shorts and a tee shirt in warmer weather and get dressed at the stand then. Be in shape, and take your time.

19. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear shorts and t most of the time early season to walk in and will wear only under armor and boots in winter. I still try to stalk in slow and dress at the base of my tree. I work outside every day and I sweat ) it is my defense mechanism against being hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    game carts are great for packing in and out I use a game cart all the time and I just wear what i have too to get to my stand and get completely dressed when i get to the stand and cool down.