Hang on stand and sticks HELP!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by joshua2236, Oct 6, 2014.

1. joshua2236

joshua2236 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know this subject has been addressed a million times but please help. I have a millenium stand and lonewolf sticks. I get so frustrated hanging the sticks and stand by the time I am sitting I don't want t hunt anymore. My routine must be horrible. I had a summit climber and got tired of not being able to climb trees with branches. Please help what do you all do to make on trip up the tree.

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a muddy stand with muddy sticks and hang in one trip up the tree. I have rope loops on the bottom of each stick, I set my first stick then hook one sticks on the linesman belt loops on each hip with the ropes with the second stick in hand and stand on back. Climb the first stick and hand the one in hand, then continue with the the two hanging from my hips. Set my stand then pull up my bow and gear. I can set my stand in 10-15 minutes pretty much silently, if I want to get high I use the rope loops as an additional step. Hope that helps.

This video is fairly similar to my setup. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing.
    How to Hang a Tree Stand in 5 Minutes!: http://youtu.be/z-fQeTZ_kpM

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a game cart I bought from sportsmans guide I put some pipe insulation on the bars to give them padding and to keep the metal on metal clanging down I wheel out my stand and sticks out to the tree and I can usually get two up without leaving the ground then i use my equipment pull up line and tie additional sticks to it and use a carabiner and hook it to my safety harness and pull them up one by one i keep them spread out so they don't hit each other and hook my stand on the carabiner on the end once I have the sticks up i pull the stand up hang it and then retrieve my gear and I can get about 23' and stand hung in about 10-15 min. with very little sound

4. joshua2236

joshua2236 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thx guys

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hang my stand almost the same way except without the paracord loops on my harness. I have Lone Wolf sticks so I simply attach both ends of the strap to the Versa button as if it was going around the tree, and then throw the strap across my neck - one on the left and one on the right.

Personally I think the one area a lot of guys make a mistake when first starting out is not using their lineman's belt properly, or at all. Without that belt you're not only unsafe but it makes things a lot more difficult.

I hung a stand the other night including screwing in my bow holder and backpack holder, and putting up my camera arm, in just about 11 minutes.

6. joshua2236

joshua2236 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How do you all get you back pack and your bow up with yo r treestand on your back do you have a pull rope for those?

7. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a Lone Wolf hand climber and climb around branches and crooked trees.

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have it down to about 10 minutes, practice on a tree where there is no pressure to set up and do it until you are comfortable. Also using the harness in the way he did in the video is a great way to lesson the trips

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very similar to purebowhunting as well.
    I have a full muddy setup.

1. I attach 1 pull rope from my gear to the back of my harness.
    2. I attach 1 pull rope from my stand to my back harness (2 ropes total).
    3. I put the first 2 sticks on as high as I can get them
    4. I hang the 3rd stick on the 2nd stick until I climb to it.
    5. I take the quick mount and put around my chest like an ammo belt
    6. I put a stick on each side of my harness
    7. Climb with linesman rope
    8. Put the 3rd stick on
    9. Put the 4th stick on
    10. Put the 5th stick on
    11. Put the quick mount on
    12. Pull the stand up and hang it on the quick mount
    13. Secure the stand
    14. Climb into stand
    15. Attach safety harness to tree (do not disconnect linesman rope until this is complete
    16. Attach bow holder to tree
    17. Turn around and sit down
    18. Pull up gear using second rope

it's an almost silent process when done correctly and only takes about 5 minutes, when practiced.
    Before I hunt, i make sure everything is set up.
    The straps are all rolled up and rubber banded
    The linesman rope is not knoted up and rubber banded
    The pull ropes are not knoted up and rubber banded

Making sure everything is going to run smoothly when you get to the tree is key. If you're digging for straps, undoing knots, adjusting things... this causes heat, stress, and time.

Practice over and over. It took a while to perfect my method and know everything is in order.

I go as far as to store all the straps for this setup in 1 small plastic tote. Because it's hard to carry in my pack, I move it over to a large ziplock bag. I have a checklist of what shoud be in the tote on the lid, and go through it as I move it to the ziplock. Also, I can put it in the ziplock in order of need.

This all sounds like a lot, but if you really think about it, it takes basically no time at all. however, it ensures you a nice, smooth trip into the tree.

10. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a lineman's belt, but just use a ratchet strap with two hooks. I place on on each side of my harness. Then use it just like a lineman's belt. Then at the top of the tree, I use it to attach my harness tether. Is their a lineman's belt out there that is made to also be used at the top of the tree to hook your harness to? does someone have a recommendation of the best/cheapest lineman's rope to use? I have just been using what I have?