Grunt call

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stem2sternum, Sep 30, 2014.

1. stem2sternum

stem2sternum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As most, out season is about to get underway. But was thinking, is it too early to start hitting the grunt call? I just started using ine the last few years and have done so around the rut.

I dont want to scare deer away, so what type of grunt, if any, should i use during this early part of the season?

2. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Silence is your friend in the early season.

3. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^. The only time I would even consider it in the early season would be to try & get the attention of a "shooter" that wasn't headed your way. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    early season no as frantzracing0 said above silence.... right around mid to late Oct. i would start with the grunts only if shooters are seen... early to mid Nov. i like to throw a few soft grunts early morning and late morning not consistent tho... maybe every few hours... because you never know which I've had this happen to me many times... your not seeing much so you grunt a few times and then all of a sudden they appear just over a ridge or something to investigate! I believe many people will agree with me there.... but right now no maybe test waters with it when you see a buck to see what happens but no... and do soft grunts not just big heavy hard old *** mature buck grunts....!

5. MNBowBender

MNBowBender Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer make communication noises year round, its just a matter of simulating the correct sound at the correct time. I personally don't even use any calls till late October. I do however know of a guy who uses a turkey call almost every morning hunt during the early season when he is getting into his stand he lets out a couple Gobbles or Clucks, he believes it calms the deer from the noise he has made going in, he seems to always do pretty well