climbers and hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Itswhatwedooutdoors6, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just curious as to why most guys are now using the lone wolf stands and climbing sticks instead of a climber? what are they advantages and disadvantages? thanks!

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I recently sold my climber and will strictly be using my LW hang on and sticks for the simple fact that is more versatile. I hunt mostly public land and I had to skip over spots with good sign because I could get my climber up the trees in that area. I won't have that problem this year. It opens up your options way more than a climber. It may take a little longer but once you get use to it you can still be quick.

3. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With the hang on and sticks you don't need a tree that's straight with no branches in the way like a climber would need. I was in a tree last year with mine that had a 45 degree bend that I was able to set up in because of the versatility of the sticks. Takes a few times to get the process down in order to get in a tree quickly but I'll never go back to a climber now. Plus, I feel more secure with the hang on, pull those straps tight and no worries about the strap slipping!

4. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Muddy stand and sticks myself but I got that set up for more versatility. With a climber you need a straight tree with no limbs up to your hunting location. A hang on and sticks can work around some obstacles on a tree.

5. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love the challenge of using my climber. Finding a buck then finding the perfect spot to ambush the buck with limited options add's to the fun. Instead of making my setup more versatile, I chose to make myself become better hunter instead.

6. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Finding a tree that can handle a climber doesn't make you a better hunter. Lot more involved than just picking a straight tree that a climber will fit on. A hang-on and sticks give you way more versatility and don't limit you to specific trees.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel 100x safer in my climber than I do hanging a hang on so that was my reasoning for choosing climber over hang on.

8. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like many hunters, I use both.

Last season and this season, I hung my hang-on (with two sticks) and put a lock on it, in my favorite hunting area. When I hunt that stand, I simply carry in two sticks. I save my climber for when I want to explore.

I love that I can put the hang-on in almost any tree. It's just more of a pain to hike back with and setup.

I love both of them but, the climber is much easier and quicker for the straight trees I have in my area. There are time's I'm hunting 1.5 miles into the woods and the stand and 4 sticks are just too much for me to handle. The climber is lighter, faster, and quieter from start to finish. I am very comfortable in both stands.

All stands are LW Alphas.

9. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both, but am finding I use my Lone Wolf hang on more. The versatility is amazing and after some practice, I can be up a tree in ten minutes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to hunt bucks, not trees. In the swamps you will have a hard time finding trees that would work for a climber. And if you do you're probably not in the right spot.

11. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in east texas we have lots of tall pines and lots of tall oak trees. So for me here my LW climber works wonderful. Love it. Love the size, the ease, the quietness, and the ability to climb as high as i need. (some areas i need to climb 30 feet or so to be in the perfect spot.) As for the sticks, I love the idea of them. I am actually most like going to get them around christmas and just use them with me climber. Instead of using a hang on stand, i will most like just fasten my LW climber to the tree. Have any of you all done that before? Did it work or not?

12. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron, what part of Texas? I'm moving to Ft Hood in November, got some word that hunting on post isn't too shabby thankfully since I'll have to hunt public rest of the season until I can find a good lease for next year.

13. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Being limited to specific trees and still figuring out how to put mature bucks on the ground WILL make you a better hunter. Using a gun will also make you much more versatile, but I enjoy the challenge and limitations of bowhunting....and yes, that too has made me a much better hunter also.

14. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Ok well we agree to disagree. Being limited to specific trees does not make you a better hunter. Doesn't matter what stand you use, you still have to put the work in and pattern the deer and figure out their route of travel and so on.

15. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you talking about Fort Hood above Austin? Im as far east and north Texas that you can get without going into Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas! If thats the fort hood that you are talking about, its like 6 hours from me. Down there in the city, there are lots and lots of deer population.

16. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have about 16 different stands set up to choose from, and about 8 spots pre-prepped for climber. Always good to have otions :)

17. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a LW climber and just this year got the alpha and sticks. For me, the ability to go up in different trees makes the hangon and sticks a better overall setup. Especially with the offset bracket. I don't have to worry about finding a perfectly straight tree and being forced into that spot. I have to disagree with Gri22ly when he says it makes you a better hunter. If there is a trail and the better cover and prevailing wind dictates that you should set up on one side of the trail but because you have to be in a straight tree you end up 30 yards away with the wind blowing your scent down the trail and have a less than optimal direction, that is not being a better hunter. That is being handicapped by your equipment.

After having to set up in subpar spots or having to find an entirely new spot entirely last year with a climber I am happy I bought a hang on and sticks. If you are a smaller guy I would suggest going with the LW Assault. Small and light enough to easily get up anywhere. I have the LW alpha, and even though I am a big guy and wear size 13 boots I might still get an Assault for those really far hikes.

18. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, simple being limited will not make you a better hunter.....but being limited and defining those limitations will make you better, your forced to improve or fail.

19. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Being limited to a straight tree does not force you to improve. It simply limits you to that tree

20. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the replies! some very good points brought up I hadn't thought of before. Looks like ill be picking up a new hang on before too long:tu: