Tips on Bowhunting in Rain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TheChurchArchers, Sep 28, 2014.

1. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly in my years of bow hunting i've never got caught out in the rain maybe a light mist but nothing hard. Mostly because seems Oct is a dry month here in the south. Whats some good tips on protecting your bow before and after you get drenched? Guessing i'm thinking more on a strings stand point. All tips and comments needed. Looking like a wet week for me opening week lol

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If my bow gets wet I fire up the woodstove in the garage and hang the bow to dry, rewax the string once it is all dried out. Typically I won't hunt in the rain because tracking is impossible if it is raining hard

3. Oletomhunter

Oletomhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Max the bow down very good prior to going out.

When done wipe it down with a dry towel and hang dry. Then i will hit every metal spot with a towel sprayed with CLP or gun cleaning spray, just real light so surface rust doesnt appear and the. Rewax the strings.

4. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dry fire it a few times to shake all the water off.
    :lol:

Seriously though,I don't purposely hunt in the rain but if I do get caught in the rain I hang my bow in front of a fan to dry it out.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got hit hard a few times already ! If I know it's coming before I go out on a hunt I like to sit in a blind just so it's more comfortable! I actually seem to have better luck hunting anything when it's raining lol so that's why I still hunt In The rain! I usually do the same as most of the other guys ! Let the bow dry off then wipe it good and clean with a rag and then go over some of the metal parts and oil it up again and usually I like to rewax my string to ! Also your hunting clothes you will want to completely dry out before you put them back in the tote ! If not they get a musty smell to them real fast !

6. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up one of these from Academy for $20
    [video]http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gorilla-Gear-Treestand-Umbrella&i=434136&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343334313336&kpid=434136&gclid=CPq_tMiohsECFSdk7Aod90MAxw[/video]

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Praying the rain away but if it does these tips will help. God bless

8. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love the tree umbrella has made a world of difference when hunting
    Also like to put my pack under my seat of my stand or use a rain cover if you have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. olddognewbie

olddognewbie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The umbrella also serves the purpose of keeping the sun from shining directly on you...therefore giving your camo an extra edge.