Practice the right way

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NY Bowhunter, Sep 28, 2014.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With seasons already started or coming up soon everyone make sure you are ready for the real encounter. Try to get away from shooting at a target in shorts, tee shirt and flip flops in your backyard with dozens of arrows at your disposal.
    It's time to get your hunting gear on. Boots, facemask, gloves, jacket etc.... Setup a practice stand somewhere in the woods. Shoot from an elevated position with everything you will have on while hunting. Have a view of timber and brush surrounding you rather than a mowed backyard. Anything we can do to mimic the real deal is greatly important. Put the target at different angles and yardages everytime you practice. Work on form from a tree.
    When you are dialed in and comfortable from shooting from a tree try this: Take one arrow up with you in your practice stand. Leave the rest of them home. Set your target somewhere in the woods. Sit, stand, hang your bow, whatever it is you do while hunting. Sit there for a few minutes and get up, draw and make the shot with the ONE arrow you have. No backups in the quiver. You dont (rarely) get a second shot. Make it count! Vary your draw time. Vary your yardage, vary your angle, etc... Hell I've even went for a jog to get my heart rate up then climbed a tree and try to shoot with my heart pounding lol.
    It can only help! Best of luck to everyone this season.