Less filming more killing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rory, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stop killing bucks for the sake of a video. Ive seen way to many bad shots on this show. Practice shooting not filming. It seems you care more about the video shot than the kill shot.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stay and watch the firewerks but I got an appointment with a deer stand smorn'in. :lol:

3. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow is all I can say to that. I think some one has a big stick. With little acorns.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy Here we go! I think these guys show the reality of hunting instead of editing it up so they can try and sway you into believing they make a perfect shot every time! We all make a poor shot from time to time and personally I think it is important to hear how there events worked out. These guys will be real with you and say that they gave the deer x amount of time because this is the shot I made. Many other shows make it seem like they shoot the deer and walk right up and find it!! Well that's not how it always works in the real world and I believe there are a lot of rookie hunters that make that mistake and lose deer because that is what they saw Michael Waddell do!!

5. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What show are you talking about?

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is one thing I do not get. All this video of people hunting, I really don't want to watch video of others hunting. I know it is my quirk others may enjoy it but it just seems so self promoting.

7. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea what show are you guys talking about?

8. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The troll has arrived!

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

~Bill

10. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think we've been hacked......

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be so hard on the OP it's not like he posted a pic from his high fence hunt.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:

I'm pretty dang certain that nobody on this show has "killed a buck for the sake of the video." If Todd or Troy had killed the bucks they were shooting at they would have been happy giving that buck a ride home, Johnny's deer died and there was no harm done. Secondly, I can't, for the life of me understand what "killing a buck for the sake of a video," has to do with making a bad shot. I've personally seen both of these guys shoot and they can both do exactly that. Neither of the shots were unethical... So please, enlighten me to exactly what it is you're trying to say. BHOD shows some of the shots that don't pan out because it's the harsh reality of bowhunting. If you haven't ever missed your mark you're either in the .001% of bowhunters or you simply haven't been doing it that long. If you think that every hunt you see on TV is a 1 shot kill, then you are either extremely naive or horribly mistaken.

I can't tell you how many animals walk by hunters with a camera in a tree that don't get shot or shot at because the situation isn't right for the camera. If there isn't any filming, there wouldn't be any shows to watch.

Thanks for watching the show, you may want to consider being a little less judgmental of the guys in the tree until you really understand how it all works.

13. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have to watch the show. That's all I'm going to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A

Pretty sure that is EXACTLY what he's talking about. Only shooting a buck if everything is right for the camera IS killing a buck for video. It's not right or wrong..........it is what it is and to each his own for opinions if it can cause negative things to happen.

I absolutely believe without a shadow of a doubt that MANY deer have suffered poor hits from the pressure of a camera being on or a lack of focus because the hunter is more concerned that the footage is right instead of picking his best spot. We've all heard it a hundred times on TV shows.......hunter and cameraman whispering back and forth "got him?".....or "now!!" "Wait!!!......shoot!!" You can't possibly say this doesn't effect some shots. I know when I draw back I shoot when I am ready and the deer is in a good position. I can only imagine being at full draw and having to wait or be rushed into a shot simply because what someone else sees through a lens.

Do I think filming has contributed to more bad shots?? Yes. Do I have more "respect" for guys that show everyone when they screw up just so you know they are human too?? No..........especially if I feel that guy would have not made a poor shot if he wasn't so busy worrying about his camera.

Having said all that if this thread is about Bowhunt or Die (no idea if it is)........NOTHING I have seen from the guys on that show or on these boards leads me to believe they are anything other then a bunch of good guys that I would be proud to share a campfire with. If the worst you have on them is trying too hard to get a big buck on film then I think you're just trying too hard.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Rory, No judging here. I am just not sure what you meant. I for one, would love it if you clarified. By the way these are some pretty good guys who are open to honest debate but it may take a little while for them to get to know you.

16. Rtkman

Rtkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the filming can compromise a shot somewhat but so can alot other things. I feel the shows do alot of good. I've learned alot watching their shows. I'm sure many others have as well. Hopefully it will help me in the stand some day and I won't make a bad shot and wound an animal for nothing. Keep up the great work guys!

17. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly just for me, filming actually helps. I know personally I get shook up pretty badly when a deer comes in, and having the camera to mess with gives that energy a purpose. Not saying it's that way for everyone, but I personally feel I make better shots when filming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most guys filming will actually quite often NOT take the shot that other hunters might take, just because everything was not perfect.

The only difference is that when a bad shot is made on film, everybody sees it over and over and has all the time in the world to criticize about it...
    When a bad shot is made when not on film, the hunter just keeps his mouth shut and no one hears about it...

I think filming your hunts makes you a better hunter, as it brings another level of difficulty and that you learn from your mistakes (and that of others)... because your mistakes are there to stay (and the good shots too).

19. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Sota is well on his way to replacing SnS here. As for the OP, you need to do some clarification here man. What show exactly are you talking about?

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry it may be a generational thing, I am not a big fan of the TV hunting industry, and as far as filming hunts I don't get it, it isn't the way I was taught to hunt. Seems the kids sure like it. Like I said I am 48 and much of what appeals to the younger set I don't partake in. Never been to facebook, titter, linked in etc. I am a very private person and only hunt alone a camera would change the enjoyment