Ground Blinds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BlindHunter, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BlindHunter

BlindHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I've become more and more comfortable hunting out of ground blinds. I started when my son (now 13) was 5 and wanted to go hunting with me. I even shot a 160 incher with my bow last year from one. The only issues I've had is when they blow away or collapse and support poles bust. Was just looking on Cabela's and saw a couple new products and wanted to see if anyone has used these and what they thought of them. Here's a link to them:
    Search Results : Cabela's

Love to here any comments as I'd like to set 3 or 4 blinds up soon and leave out for the season.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks just like the screw type stakes that some folks use for dog tie outs, but I would bet you could buy those cheaper.. :) That being said I've always used larger stakes then what typically come with a blind and haven't had an issue with them blowing away. BUT having them stay put in a strong wind seems, at times, seems to result in MORE damage to the blind than if it had come free and just rolled a ways......

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think those would help. The biggest issue I've had is leaving the blind out during the season, getting a snow load that melts then turns to ice with more snow on top. I've had it collapse my blind and snap one of the side poles.

FYI, if you need to replace one of the poles on a hub style blind, an electric fence post is the right size and does the trick nicely.

Zareba® 48 in. Fiberglass Rod Post - Tractor Supply Co.

4. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see some cheaper Ameristep blinds at some local farm stores for around $75 bucks. I know you get what you pay for....so if you got a cheaper model and bought these anchors would you be ok?

5. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Ameristep Bone Collector. I hunted out of it this weekend and it was awesome!!!

6. BlindHunter

BlindHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:

7. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law and I are building a few that look like hay bales. Cost about a hundred each.

Start by building a 6 x 6 frame our of 2x6's then we used grey pvc to create 4 equally spaced arched which we then cover with wire fencing. That will be covered with black plastic then straw that's the stuff you lay on a freshly seeded lawn. You can place the windows and doors as you want.

We stake these down and they won't blow away. They are semi permanent but light enough to move.

8. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used cattle panels in the past for semi permanent blinds. Two 16' s cut in half make a nice 8x8. Four t-post, then elevate 4-6" off the ground. Start brushing it .. Make your own, camo netting, let your imagination run wild. Cut your shooting windows and door. Use some wire so your cut outs will hinge... Open and close like you would in any blind.
    This may take more time, but is worth the effort. I've build a handful of these, they will withstand the elements.
    My last blind is more permanent and elevated. I set poles and built a roof ) I still lined it cattle panels. The last I checked, they were $22-25 for a 16'
    I will try and dig up some pics of the plain panel blind.
    Here's my permanent blind :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://youtu.be/kwmPyocmnPs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know some guys that use t post and wrap it with camo burlap for blinds...they wont help in the rain but they do keep some of the cold wind off of you. I have a ground blind tucked underneath a big cedar that has worked well