mechanical or fixed blade broad heads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Deercrazy21, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard a lot of debate about fixed blade or mechanical broad heads. what do you guys shoot and whats your opinion on this topic?

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh sweet Jesus. Please use the search function. This is a road best not traveled.

Oh, mechanicals suck.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Rage titanium never had a problem. I also use an arrow that weighs a little over 450 grains. I would not use a mechanical on an arrow any lighter than that, just my bias.

4. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used both with fantastic results. Experiment and let that be your guide because you will not get really good info from the web. One guy will say the exact opposite of the guy before him. Who will you believe? Its worth finding out on your own.

5. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I shoot a mechnical, I used to shoot a fixed. My opinion is that I'll continue to shoot a mechanical. Oh wait that's a fact.

6. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my mechanical broadheads. I have my son shooting Montec G5s. It just depends on the setup.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL the dreaded M vs F threads....gotta love 'em! You just have to remember opinions are like....welll....everyone's got one! LOL

I've shot both fixed and mechanical and liked the results of both. I'm back with fixed as I just prefer to keep it simple and practice with them to make sure they hit where I want them to!

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just like in business... location-location- location.

I have shot both... both work great. I have noticed no real difference in either the amount of blood or the length of the blood trail.

I will say... complete pass thrus are the key to great blood trails. Whichever one achieves that is the one I want to shoot.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's according to what I'm hunting at the time. Wether it's in a ground blind with mesh. Other than that I don't care I like them both. Both hit exactly where I'm aiming. This week I'm using hypodermics

10. Thebrotherhood

Thebrotherhood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love both a lot but this year i am using muzzle 100 fix 3 blade

11. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot mech heads NAP Killzones and Killzones MAXX's loved them both, but now I am shooting a fixed head. Went with Solid Boradheads and am pretty pleased with them so far. Went with the 100 grain Legends since the 125's were taking so long on backorder, but I stacked some good weight upfront to get to my 13% FOC goal. Just cant wait to see what they will do on a deer already!!!

[​IMG]

12. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot them both depending upon what I am hunting. Favorite expandable is the Killzone, fixed blade QAD Exodus with Slick Trick as second runner up.

13. Lineman317

Lineman317 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Killzones now..great penetration, holes and blood trails..never had a deer go more than 40 yards. I also love G5 strykers,,great penetration and blades are razor sharp.

14. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's up to you. I like fixed. Slick Trick standards is my favorite right now but anything will do the job if you do yours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a can of worms you've opened!!!! Lol. You'll hear ninety different answers but, here's my opinion. It doesn't matter what you shoot if you take ethical and accurate shots. Some things to think about are this. With fixed blade you'll generally have less cut width which may mean a harder to follow blood trail but, the penetration and impact resistance are far better with a solid sharp head. If you happen to make a shot that will hit hard bone, you may be able to salvage the shot with a fixed blade. One other thing is the tuning required for fixed blades. The other side of the coin is mechanicals have a larger cut width meaning usually larger and easier to follow blood trails. The other side of mechanicals is the moving parts that could fail and that they take away from your KE opening. Also they are more likely to deform and deflect if you take a poor shot and hit a hard bone. The plus to making a poor shot with a large diameter mechanical is that you are more likely to hit a vital area. I shoot Slick Trick Magnums. They fly great, hit hard and are sharp as razors. I tuned and have no issues hitting out to 60 yds (not saying that Id take a shot that far). I've used Rage Hypodermics with good success as well and I only have a 26.5" draw and am pulling 63 lbs. There's my humble opinion.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing EVERYONE needs to realize is that the tuning required for a fixed blade head is same for a mechanical. Just because your mechanical head hits the same as your field points does not mean it's hitting square.

An arrow flying sideways is an arrow penetrating sideways.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to pick one broadhead and I was stuck with it the rest of my life it would be Solids.

So there you go ...fixed for me.

18. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both, out of high poundage, 80 lbs, heavy arrows, heaviest were fmj 300's, currently shooting gt velocity pro 300's. I prefer a well tuned bow with a 100 grain montec to anything other head. fly good, pass through pretty much every time. have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 plus deer with them and a 500 pound bear, can only remember one time I didn't get a complete pass through with the arrow stuck in the ground right there. Hit that deer square on the left front shoulder, broad head buried into the right front shoulder joint. but to each his own, people will say it doesn't matter if you hit them good, for me, it is the what if it is a sub par hit, I want performance in that situation. I want to know if i hit a deer in the shoulder my arrow is going through that thing! I get that kind of performance with montec's.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Dude, my mechanical BH's hit the same place as my FP's therefore my bow is tuned perfectly.

20. Thebrotherhood

Thebrotherhood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude where did you get theme wow so sexy broad heads.