Peeing from the tree stand.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by biscuit, Sep 24, 2014.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have heard and read many different thoughts on this topic. A lot of the articles I have read say go ahead and let it fly. So can deer make the connection and determine that urine comes from a specific animal or human for that matter.

Most animals have excretory systems for elimination of soluble toxic wastes. In humans, soluble wastes are excreted primarily by the urinary system and, to a lesser extent in terms of urea removed, by perspiration. The urinary system consists of the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, and urethra. The system produces urine by a process of filtration, reabsorption, and tubular secretion. The kidneys extract the soluble wastes from the bloodstream, as well as excess water, sugars, and a variety of other compounds. The resulting urine contains high concentrations of urea and other substances, including toxins. Urine flows from the kidney through the ureter, bladder, and finally the urethra before passing from the body. It all turns to ammonia in hours

I would like to hear some practical examples on this topic.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Either you pee or you don't. I don't I go to the stand with the intention of not moving for 3 hours, that's right sitting as still as possible moving just your eyes. I don't think the smell is a giveaway I think the movement is

3. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont. I carry in a bottle and tend to only need to use it once during a 4 hour sit. I try to introduce as little human related scent as I can to my hunting spots.

4. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This ^

5. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On the same page my friend, and to be honest if I can hold it and it seems like it should be an above average day (rut, overcast, right after big storm) I will. As little movement as possible is the way to go.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I don't think the deer associate the smell of our urine with "humans". I have experienced several situations where the deer have reacted curiously to the smell, but not alert. I have several examples of this. Once I was in a stand in a cedar thicket and had to pee, so I got down, went about 20 yards from the stand to a low spot near the edge of the timber and did my business. A little later, maybe an hour or so I doe came into the thicket and was walking in that area. She walked right over to that spot and smelled it. She never alerted nor was she nervous. In fact she stood there long enough to give me the kill shot if I had wanted it.
    Another example happened when I was a boy scout. We were camping at Philmont scout ranch. We had just had a rough day of hiking and finally got camp set up so I decided to lay down in my tent for a little nap. One of the other kids thought it would be funny to piss on the back of my tent. A little while later, I wake up to a sound at the back of the tent. I peak out the window to find a doe sniffing on the tent where he had peed on it. Again, the deer was calm and not nervous at all.

Do I pee from the stand? Not usually, but I don't bother carrying a bottle to pee in either. I usually can make it during all of my sits without having to pee.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pissed out of my stand last night while over 10 deer were in my food plot. When ya gotta go ya gotta go. One doe came over had had a sniff. I think she fell in love.....

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Urine is not a human related scent my friend. EVERYTHING pees :)

9. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any more I just pee from the stand. If I get busted it is from moving and not the smell of piss. I mean I use my own urine for my mock scrapes, and I gota say I have had some nice bucks and does checking me out lol :woot: "just the facts ma'am, just the facts."

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only time I'm going to piss in a bottle is to keep my hands warm :ninja:

11. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gatorade bottle

No way am I going to start peeing from the stand or anywhere near where I am hunting

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There probably more scent coming off the bottle you are grabbing all over and pissing in all season, then the piss its self. For me the less stuff to take in the woods the better, if it gets to the point I cant hold it I just go out the stand and try not to hit any branches in the tree Iam in. The first racked buck I ever shot as kid I pissed out my stand right into a scrape on the ground and not a hour later a buck came up checked it and I shot him.

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go right off the side of the stand.... Last season I did and not 10mins later 6 Does came by and didn't hamper the hunt at all... I'm with Skywalker... I'm not peeing in a bottle, chances are your missing a bit anyhow so your scent is in the air .... Doesn't matter much to me

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  14. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I gotta go, I just go with the flow....been known to crap off the edge a time or two as well when I was hunting from my nephew's stand. Didn't want to climb down and disturb anything nor did I want to crap my pants.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't do this but I had to like it out of laughter. :lol:

16. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You better patent this. Primos will make a fortune on the piss bottle hand warmer.

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pissing in a bottle and carrying around your piss is asinine to me. I piss right down the tree I am in so it makes no sound hitting the ground. It just runs down the side.

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Human urine will not scare deer away, I thought scientists have proven this? (Pretty sure ive read it from a few sources).

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little story about peeing in a bottle, sorry to hijack the thread but I have to share. I once followed my dad and sister in my own car for a 4 hour car ride when I was about 17 (sister was about 13). I had to pee so bad I peed in an empty Lemon Lime Gatorade bottle. Let's just say my color was fairly consistent with the color of that flavor. When we stopped somewhere to eat, I handed the bottle to my sister as I got out of the car and she said, why is this Gatorade so hot? I just smiled. I'm pretty sure she will never drink Lemon Lime Gatorade again.

20. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    would one of these "sources" be Selfbros.inc?
    :nana: