Self-Filming

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grizzygoose, Sep 22, 2014.

1. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that self film, what kind of camera do you use or what would you recommend based off of experience?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a basic handycam and realized I wanted more options and better performance. I upgraded to a Canon XHA1s. That's a great camera, but it is tape based which has some drawbacks. I sold that camera this spring and had been going back and forth between The Sony HXR-NX3 and the Canon XA20. I like the options and features of the NX3, but loved the size of the XA20. I almost pulled the trigger on the XA20, but Sony announced a new camera on their facebook page and I decided to wait. I just got my new camera in last week. The Sony PXW-X70. So far, I LOVE it. The size is excellent, yet it packs tons of real pro features.

With all that said, it really depends on what you are looking for and what you can spend. If you want footage good enough to be used on TV or internet broadcasts, then you need to be looking at a more professional camera. If you just want to record your adventures or share them on Youtube, then a more basic consumer grade camera will do the job. Keep in mind that audio is just as important as the video, so you will want to get a camera that give you the option of a shotgun mic and or a wireless mic. Another very important feature(especially for self-filming) is a LANC remote. Being able to control the camera without having to touch it helps keep the video smooth and also keeps your movement down.

3. WIYouthBowhunter

WIYouthBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a jvc everio. It works good although the buttons are a little small to use with gloves on and the battery life isn't great. Camcorders are definitely the way to go for self filming

4. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Canon HF-G20. It's a great camera except for the 10x zoom. Two weeks after I bought it the G30 was released with 20x zoom. If you want a great camera but want to keep it below $2000 for a complete setup, I would go with the Canon HF-G30 or the Canon XA20. Now if you really want to take it to the next level, get a 4k camera...not necessary for the clarity of the footage, but for the ability to maintain a wide angle on your target to make sure it doesn't walk out of footage and zoom with your editing software. With 4k clarity, you can zoom 4x with your editing software and still have 1080p clarity. The problem is it comes with a price tag...about $2000 for a bare entry level 4k camera (Sony AX1000) or about $4500 for a bare prosumer 4k camera (Sony FDR-AX1).

Other things...don't get the cheapest shotgun mic you find. There's a big difference in the cheapos vs the mid range ones. Lastly, the LANC remote is worth it's weight in gold for a self-filmer. Vari-Zoom makes a pretty good and inexpensive one.

5. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a canon g10, I feel like it's a good option for just getting into things. It's good quality and not a bad price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it :) Should be enough info to get me going. Good luck on your self-filming this year

7. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do a lot of self filming anymore, but here is a list of my kit.

Sony PMW-EX1r
    Rode Mic
    Azden wireless Mic set
    Manfrotto 501 Head/LANC controller
    Vanguard CTX Carbon Fiber Tripod
    Muddy Camera Arm

Canon DLSR T3i
    Rode Mic
    Multiple lens attachments/filters
    Vortex Monopod

GoPro Hero2 with wrist remote
    Various mounts

I use the DLSR for most b-roll and time lapse. I am a big fan of Astro time lapse as well. I feel time lapse is the best way to link the story of the hunt.

GoPro is generally used as a 2nd angle cam. I have used it overlooking barrels at bear bait sites as well.

The EX1r is a lot of camera to transport into the woods for self filming. I would agree the Canon XA10- or XA20 is a better choice for transporting up into a tree.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I would start with what you have. I say this be cause 1000.00 is a huge investment for something that you may not like. Self filming can be addictive but it can also be frustrating. So I would recommend starting with a low end camera to get the feel for it. If you like it you can upgrade from there and use the low end camera for second angles and what not. You can also do a lot of filming with your phone if you have a smart phone. My first setup was maybe like 300 total then I decided I liked it and over time upgraded. Either way good luck and let us know what you go with. :tu:

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a JVC everio on ebay refurbished for $40 last year to try self filming. Fell in love with self filming and editing. I used a muddy micro mount on a bow arm mounted to the tree. Costed me $100 and change. This season i'm still using the jvc (shoulda upgraded over a new bow) and bought a muddy outfitter tree arm and a fluid head.
    Last years setup:
    [​IMG]

Good advice!!

10. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't ha it on a hunt yet but I'm just getting into self filming this year with a go pro and if I decide I like It enough I will upgrade next year

11. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I decided to use my buddys camera that i'll be hunting with all year. I'm not sure what kind it is to be honest but i know its about $900 so assume its pretty good lol i got a tree mount from the3rdarm.com which i've heard a lot of good things about. Hopefully i like self-filming and if i do then i'll get my own for next year. Being a bowhunter is expensive as it is but when you become a self-filmed i now realize how much more money it adds to your equipment. Lets hope all goes well, good luck to you this year as well :D

12. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Overall how did you like the JVC everio? Obviously its not the best video camera out there but for the price how'd you like it?

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a Sony Handycam and I like it because it's not bulky and it's really easy to use. I agree, just use whatever you have provided it's not a nuisance hauling it into a tree or mounting it to a camera arm. You don't want to spend too much money and then realize that filming your hunts isn't for you.

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For what I paid, I have zero complaints. I bought an extended life battery cause the stock battery only lasts for a few minutes. But it is what it is, an entry level camera. Great cheap way to start out.

15. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nikon DSLR
    Rode mic
    Huntingbeast camera arm

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to get off track but I am using a cheap Pine Ridge Pro-Bow-Cam camera arm. This is my first year and I wanted to start cheap (Canon HFR500 camera) in case I decide it's not for me. Do you guys use ratchet straps for your camera arms or something different? This one came with a ratchet but it seems pretty noisy since I will be putting it up and taking it down each hunt.

17. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine has a strap and versa button. Gets the camera arm snug to the tree.

Hunting Beast Camera Arm - The Hunting Beast Shop

Hunting Beast Camera Arm Review - YouTube

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was only $40 LOL. Guess I'll deal with the ratchet this weekend and try to come up with something better down the road.