Buck of a lifetime?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeffrey Jones, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello fellow bowhunters. I was just wondering really what u guys consider a deer of a lifetime? I personally have never harvested a deer bigger than then about 110 or so inches but I definitely consider the ones ive killed trophys. If u hunt somewhere along ur life an have taken a deer before an thats the only buck u ever kill well I guess that was the deer of your lifetime lol. Has it mearly become just a term used to describe a monster 180 inch or better deer or is it just a matter of opinion?[​IMG] Milo Hanson sure gave the world a different viewpoint on the term "Buck of a lifetime" with his 1993 kill. Or what about this bruiser of a Non Typical taken by Neil Morin in 1991 which scored a wopping 279 6/8. Any thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    110-120 range for me. I enjoy everything about my hunting trips. My two best bucks are always my last one and my next one.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any deer taken with a bow to me is a trophy! Not all of us hunt where their are 180" monsters. To me whatever floats your boat! Best of luck

4. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
  5. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    I know thats right muzzy

6. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To me "buck of a lifetime" could be a lot of different things. Like that double main beam buck that Victory shot last week. Not the highest scoring buck out there but so unique he will probably never see another like it.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those records haven't been broken for a reason. Not saying there won't be bigger, it just happens very rarely.

The buck of a lifetime will be my first bow buck. It doesn't have to be a certain score but it does have to be mature.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd probably fall out of the stand if that thing walked in range. Idk how anyone could not be shaking like hell when they drew back on that..

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken deer with bow and arrow most of my life, managed deer and plotted since 1988. I have deer on the wall ranging from 115" to 168 5/8 with a 7.5" drop tine (net).

I have yet to lay a Booner on the ground in spite of chasing the goal for 20+ years. I've had near misses with two I thought would make it. The buck last year that the neighbor shot with a rifle after I let him walk...turns out wouldn't make Boone net. The other one should have been dead but for a mechanical malfunction.

Given my history, a lagitimate Boone and Crocket buck is the proverbial buck of a lifetime. I think any hunter can achieve P&Y deer rather cheap and easily with a little travel if needed but it's a very realistic goal. Booners aren't readily obtainable to anyone except from a high fence farm situation, not on demand at least. In our modern age of larger and more mature deer populations, even now, taking a buck that scores a net minimum for Boone is still a very tricky goal. If one is lucky enough to bag one the odds of ever bagging a second are just stupid.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I change my mind all the time on what I would consider a trophy but size of deer isn't everything, for me the weapon used changes the definition of trophy.

11. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine killed a 150 class buck a about 5 years ago in Arkansas. When I saw his deer, I decided that I wanted one and that it's probably an almost unreachable goal.

So a 150 class deer is my "buck of a lifetime."

12. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also believe that any deer taken with a bow is a trophy. I also believe the deer in my avatar is a once in a lifetime buck.

SCFox

13. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What I consider a buck of a lifetime is a buck that's 200+. I've seen a few booners on the farm I hunt in the last 6 to 7 years but I have never seen a 200 incher. Any animal I shoot is a trophy but a swole up, 200 inch, Midwestern sad daddy buck is what does it for me.

14. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    U guys say it best when u say its in the eye of the beholder it really is an honor to be able to hunt whitetail with the hopes of taken a Boone an crocket given the right circumstances an hopefully its a free range deer thay has matured to that point . It would truly by something.

15. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, my little brother shot it when he was 14. Lol grossed 199.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We chased it for two years with Caleb (Siman/oh) having him at twenty yards with no shot the year before he was killed. Hunt cam be seen here. The story has been all over the forum in the past.

http://youtu.be/BaUx6Pem8qE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  16. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny right there.

I think people are talking about two different things here, the buck of a lifetime and a trophy. A trophy can be anything a person wants it to be but a buck of a lifetime is something really special for the way and area you hunt.
    Since I hunt in KY and we don't have any big deer here I nice fork horn would be a buck of a lifetime :deer::lol:

17. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Lol yea it really does vary from state to state u make a gud point there but not too long ago I was talkin with a guy here from oklahoma an I happened to see a deer head to the bone laying on his steps which he found that had to have been every bit of 150+ it was a lil palmated an what not but the mass was really there i mean it was big so that was a testament to me that there are freaks of nature everywhere an its all about there habitat an what have u but one day maybe I can get me a buck of a lifetime

18. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    When I saw it my jaw dropped this definitely wuda been a deer of a lifetime imo what a shame tho the guy said he's pretty sure it was poached shoot I got a nice set of mittens myself and my hands wouldnt go around the bases of its mainbeams[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  19. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    That is a giant boy I tell u what an to take a deer like that at 14 says alot bro he is nice an looks every bit of the inches

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A buck of a lifetime to me is exactly that. A buck that I will not likely be able to have a chance to take the rest of my life. It may be a giant in inches or it may be a buck that is extremely unique for one reason or another. Either way, when I use the term "once in a lifetime" I am referring to a deer like I will not likely see its match as long as I live. My biggest deer to date is a 159 inch buck with approximately 20" broken off. Given where I hunt, I honestly believe that is a once in a lifetime buck for me.