Cheating or not?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dstever66, Sep 15, 2014.

1. dstever66

dstever66 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was watching a hunting show last night and they were hunting with an outfitter. I was just wondering how many of you think using a outfitter or a guide is cheating?

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it's cheating at all, I just can't afford it.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think using a guide does nothing to prove your hunting talents, you just show up

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't really consider it cheating nor can I think of a situation where using one would be.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

5. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not cheating,Do what you want to do in life. Some guys will never get a chance either by not having ground that has mature deer or the time it takes to narrow down a lot factors and put up stands and find great entry and exit routes. If you got the money enjoy what ever kind of hunt you want. I bet you would learn a lot from it.

6. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what I understand, some guides get you more involved in the process than others. I don't think it's cheating. I would love to do a guided or semi guided elk or mule deer hunting trip someday. That way I can learn some about the process before getting out and trying it on my own.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course it's a cheat in the purest sense of the word. You're taking advantage of a short cut, ie...another persons experience in finding animals or hunting specific game.

Do I have a problem with it, not at all..no more than using ATV's, food plots, top gear. I'm proficient with whitetails, take me out of that comfort zone and my range of experience and it would be stupid and in some ways, dangerous even, for me to go tramping around in the Rockies chasing Elk or Cougar, etc, species and country I'm not familiar with....without someone with experience to rely upon. It really depends on a persons definition of "cheating".

9. olddognewbie

olddognewbie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it is any more cheating than asking advice, or drawing from the experiences of the posters on this forum. I like the person who mentioned his "comfort zone". We all have areas of expertise, experience, and knowledge we can gain from. Proverbs says a fool learns by experience a wise man is taught by others. I have been the fool way too often, but I cannot afford a guide. So I draw from the experiences of other bow hunters here. I started into this game late in life, and it has become a passion, and compulsion now. I was planning a hog hunt later this year, (or January of next) and I would need a guide, and land to hunt, because I have absolutely no knowledge of hog hunting, or area to hunt, or experience to draw from.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think using power steering in vehicles is cheating as well. :evilgrin:

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^What he said^

12. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think its cheating, you still gotta make the shot! If I could afford it once, ide go!!

13. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    though i believe it is best to get out and learn from the good and bad, that is how you become experienced as a hunter not everyone has the time to do that so they basically pay someone to do it for them. An experienced hunter should have no need for a outfitter to help with a hunt but if you are hunting in an area/game that they have no experience in hunting before and they are using the experience of the local outfitter to show them the way, i would not call that cheating. example, you never hunted alaska for bear hunting you are not going to just fly up there, go to kodiak island, and start hunting. that would be a quick way to be the bear's next meal.

now driving across the state to pay a outfitter to hunt something you can do in your own woods, that is cheating.

14. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont believe its cheating.. Well as long as its not inside a fence, But thats another story. Is it the same as killing one on your own property?No Or taking a animal on public land?No. .. But its not cheating in my book as long your abiding by the laws and regulations, No free range hunts are absolutely guaranteed especially with a bow in hand. Some people dont have the time to put in to hunt weeks and weeks to try to harvest a big whitetail,antelope,elk,ect. And going to a good outfitter should raise your chances on trying to kill whatever your trying to kill. Some people dont have access to ground that is plentiful with animals and in my opinion id rather pay for a trip every couple of years rather than trying to lease a small property around home and not having much more luck than what i can hunt for free around home. Say if someone had a dynamite deer hunting spot with big bucks running around everywhere and could harvest a big whitetail easier than most would that be cheating?

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's no more cheating than using food plots, compound bows, scents, scent eliminators, ATVs, game carts, camo, maps, the internet....

I don't think it's cheating when friends come to hunt with me?

High fences on the other hand...

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    That's like bringing a gun to a sword fight....

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Change the species to fish, is it cheating to pay a guide to take you out deep sea fishing? Outfitters provide a service to people who may not be able to normally have access. I've paid to go deep sea fishing, reef fishing, salmon fishing, and peacock bass fishing. None of which would I have been able to do without the guides since I wouldn't have local access nor the gear necessary to do it.

Also, there's a big difference from using an outfitter compared to high fence hunting. I would consider high fence cheating.

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cheating? Some places require an outfitter by law...you would be cheating without one.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Someone's mind just got blown!
    [​IMG]

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Meh. Not worried if someone else uses an outfitter or not. On the priority list of things I am concerned with this falls at about 1,598,456 from the top.