Core4element for stand hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jemcmichael, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been thinking about upgrading my camo gear and have seen the guys at Heartland Bowhunter wearing this gear. Anyone use this gear for tree stand hunting? It seems like it would definitely be good for out west, just not sure of in the Midwest.

Anyone have any opinions on the warmth if you've worn them? It doesn't seem like it's that thick, but if I go with the merino base layers, will it keep me warm into late November? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have/had couple items, the Element Jacket, and two base layers. both merino wool. Their line up is ill suited to stand hunting, as its geared to layering and mobility.

Take a look at Sitka Gears Whitetail line, and also First Lite's heavy offerings...Both are better suited for stand hunting.

3. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. Looked into those, but was trying to avoid the price tag.

Just curious, what's the problem with a layering system? I was thinking if I properly layered I could use the same outer layer for a variety of conditions. Would it not hold up to the cold? Thanks again.

4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have pretty much the whole Core4 system. I like it for stand hunting. Of course when it gets that cold you are gonna probably need some bibs to go with it. With all the layering I stay pretty warm down to around 30 or so. I just wouldn't recommend it for winter hunting.

5. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. I've never really done a layering system, but the idea seems to make a lot of sense. I'm usually done by end of November anyways.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When the HB crew is wearing the Core 4, it's usually early season whitetails or spot-and-stalk elk/mule deer. When it gets later in the year, with similar temps that you'll see in Ohio, I believe they are wearing UA gear.

Having said that, they usually look extremely uncomfortable when it comes to stand hunting in the cold.

A start to a good system is a wool baselayer. Get a pair meant for against the skin then get another pair for colder temps. Then look for a insulation layer and a weatherproof outer layer. I just ordered some Kuiu base layers but a lot of their gear is currently on backorder.

7. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have a bit of cash to spend and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the archery clothing. Any other suggestions for gear designed for archers as temps drop? I find a lot of camo to be too bulky, but don't want to drop $700 plus on a Sitka Fanatic Set.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The less bulk, the more expensive it will be. At least that's what it seems like.

Kuiu is a little cheaper and with the right layering could work in a stand type setting.