what would you do?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by aleeco77, Sep 15, 2014.

1. aleeco77

aleeco77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0056.jpg IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0425.jpg IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

Alright guys, as you can see I have quite a few pictures of bucks, however, the bigger bucks only showed up on that one day. I consistently get pictures of the two small bucks. This will be my second season hunting ever, I managed to connect with 2 does last year, but never a buck. So my question to you is, would you shoot the smaller buck if you were me, or would you hold out and hope one of the bigger ones came around again? There are couple things playing into my decision. First, my property is near a major roadway and every year we lose at least one buck to a car. Second, this area is heavy with gun hunters, I own 70 acres and everyone around me owns about the same amount. Last year, I was bow hunting during the first day of gun season and heard around 10 gun shots before 8 am. The one thing I have going for me though, is my property was logged a few years ago so it is kind of a sanctuary for the deer when those gun hunters hit the woods. So I could either take the small buck early season, or wait for the rut and hope a bigger one shows up. If I wait till the rut and dont see anything, I could also wait until after gun season and hope a couple of them make it through and catch them in the late season. Let me know what you guys think please!

p.s. Sorry if the post is written poorly. I am writing quite hastily as I have to leave for class in about 5 min.

2. aleeco77

aleeco77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    sorry, didn't mean to put the picture of doe and fawn in there

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same problem with gun hunters. I have no chance of bagging one after gun season. And its really hard for bucks to grow and mature because it seems like they shoot about anything they can. Last year I got an anysex tag and a doe tag because I didn't have any big bucks on cam and I planned on only taking a does unless I found a big buck I didn't know was there. Ended up with 2 big mature does that weren't producing as good of fawn as others. If you know the bigger bucks are still around id wait but if it gets closer to gun season and you know you might not have a chance after I would probably take a doe that isn't producing fawns as well but the buck in the 4th picture isn't bad I would probably take it if I had a perfect shot.

4. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot whatever makes you happy.

5. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, shoot what makes you happy. If one of the samller bucks shows up and gives you chip shot, dont pass it up. A bird in the hand.

6. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first buck was a smallish six point and I have no regrets about taking him. The first one is one you'll always remember, no matter the size. Definitely do what makes you happy and don't let rack envy get the best of you. Best of luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about the gun hunters until you get around that time. Until then just be patient and take one if you like it and it feels right

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^

9. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This ^^^^ hunt for yourself and do whatever makes you happy !!

10. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. I have shot a spike and a spike with lots of trash so I'm looking for my first branch antlered buck and any will do the trick. Any one of those bucks would be a nice first!

11. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    only you can decide what to shoot.