Homemade cover scent

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by REMYNGTON, Sep 14, 2014.

1. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday the girlfriend and I grabbed a bag of leaves, twigs, brush and dirt from right next to the main hunting area. We put it all in a pot and simmered it for awhile and let cool. Strained it out and am planning on using that as a homemade cover scent. It kind of looks like tea and has a earthy tea scent. I'm thinking it should work pretty well being that it's all scents from right around the woods I hunt.

Has anybody on here ever done this or something similar? So what's y'alls opinions?

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You cooked it? Don't let the D.E.A. or A. Rod know. LOL

Who knows... you may discover something that really works... keep us informed.

3. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao. They might send the drones in after me.

I hope it works well. I'll definitely keep you posted Muzzy.

4. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It wont smell the same cooked as it did fresh.
    And since you asked for opinions, I'll give mine. Cover scents don't work. A deer can still smell you with the other smells. Just like you can walk in my house and smell coffee brewing, bacon frying and maybe just a hint of where the dog just farted.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've picked up leaves dirt, and twigs from my hunting area, put them in a one gallon zip lock bag in my scent locker and left the zip lock bag open. worked pretty good as far as i know.

REMY YOU READY BRO????!!!!!! Tomorrow tomorrow!!! so pumped!!!

6. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it definitely doesn't smell the same cooked down. And I agree that deer can and would still smell me also. By no means am I suggesting that this be a failsafe for not needing to hunt the wind. I will always hunt the wind first and foremost. I'm just hoping it will reduce my odor footprint to help with swirling winds and lesson the smell of my presence in general. :)

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And it very well may help. Best of luck to you!!

8. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you mentioned this Joe. Because I actually did this also. I have some left over materials, that I didn't make the spray out of, sitting in my clothes bin. :cool::D

BTW. I'm super ready brother. Can't wait for the AM. I'm excited for this season.

9. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bro. Same to you. :cool:

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    SWEET!!! Good luck man, hope you nail one!! I'll be heading out in the afternoon to drop a doe!:bhod:

11. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Same to you bro. Best of luck and stay safe. I'm gonna be pulling an all day sit to try and fill the freezer. :bow:

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the most unusual cover scent tricks I've heard of is a farmer who used diesel fuel as a cover scent. He had tractor equipment everywhere and deer never seemed to pay any attention when he was farming so he tried using it as a cover scent. He killed some nice deer, whether or not that helped.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best scent cover is hunting the right wind and hunting high.

14. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's taking smelling like your surroundings to a whole new level. Haha. Hey if the deer were used to it in that area I could totally see why it may have helped.

15. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    As I said earlier, this will and should never take the place of hunting the wind. I'm just trying it out, as a free(best part) and hopefully a little better way than store bought product, of covering my own scent in case of swirling winds or sudden changes etc. I will always hunt the wind first and foremost. :)

16. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A guy we hunt with cuts trees for a living and I usually get a bag or two of cedar chips once a month and keep that in a rubbermaid bin with my clothes and boots. Although you can never beat a deer's nose and should always hunt the wind, I do feel a bit more confident this way

17. Valley

Valley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Our human smell will always be with us. The closer we can smell more like the area we hunting the better chance we will have to blend in. I have plans to make a sent block the same way but I wasn't going to cook it down. I think that Coffee and bacon is a better smell and would bring in the big bucks. Dog farts not so much. I look forward to hear if this method is effective.

18. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make your own sent killer and add vegetation from your own area

I use this formula I had given to me and I add ferns and leaves from my back yard. I made up a gallon and last year and it worked well. I imagine it will be even better this year after setting for months.

I ran across this formula somewhere but can't remember where. Just thought I would share this with you guys.

Scent Eliminator Formula:

1.5 qt Hydrogen Peroxide (3% Formula)

You can purchase more concentrated bottles of H2O2 (Hyd/Peroxide) at beauty supply stores and swimming pool supply stores.
    Remember to dilute until you have a 3% solution. I also suggest the use of rubber gloves and safety glasses when using the higher concentrations as there can be some safety issues.
    There is no problem using the 3% as we will further dilute to 1% (+/-) by adding more water.

2 qts distilled water

½ cup of baking soda

½ oz of unscented laundry detergent

Mix in a large container

Pour into an opaque (can’t see thru if you use the S&O) 1 gal container
    Leave uncapped for several days to let the gases produced to vent off.

Store the “big batch” in a dark place as H2O2 deteriorates into water when exposed to sunlight.

Fill smaller opaque bottles to use in the field.

Oh yes, you can expect a white residue after using this recipe. It’s merely baking soda.

HUTCH

19. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:

I use this formula I had given to me and I add ferns and leaves from my back yard. I made up a gallon and last year and it worked well. I imagine it will be even better this year after setting for months.

I ran across this formula somewhere but can't remember where. Just thought I would share this with you guys.

You can purchase more concentrated bottles of H2O2 (Hyd/Peroxide) at beauty supply stores and swimming pool supply stores.
    Remember to dilute until you have a 3% solution. I also suggest the use of rubber gloves and safety glasses when using the higher concentrations as there can be some safety issues.
    There is no problem using the 3% as we will further dilute to 1% (+/-) by adding more water.

2 qts distilled water

½ cup of baking soda

Mix in a large container

Store the “big batch” in a dark place as H2O2 deteriorates into water when exposed to sunlight.

Oh yes, you can expect a white residue after using this recipe. It’s merely baking soda.

HUTCH

20. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:

2 qts distilled water

½ cup of baking soda

Mix in a large container

HUTCH