Why I favor solo Hunting (long read)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AshAid, Sep 10, 2014.

1. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday was my 1st chance to get out in Maryland (as the season started Fri the 5th) and a friend of mine who has never been Deer hunting before tagged along.

Now all off season he prepared and practiced shooting his bow so that wasn't a concern of mine going into this season/Hunt at all. Also, when it comes to matters of what to shoot, distance you decide to shoot etc I'm not 1 who gets into battles over those things cause that's a personal decision on the person and it's something that we all differ on anyhow. My feelings are different then some but 1 rule I always share is as long as it's legal (Bucks).

We meet up (suppose to be) at 5:00 at a near by McDonalds, he doesn't get there till 5:15 or so... Then he's not dressed and ready so he has to proceed to do all that so by time we head toward our spot it's almost 5:40....

So we get there and walk to the spot I wanted to get set up on and once there he tells me that the climber he got was purchased at a flea market for $10.00... Why not mention that at the truck?. Upon inspection I inform him there are several pieces missing and he can't use this, I brought a extra hang on stand in case but it was almost a mile back in my truck... So he didn't want to walk all the way back so he decided to hunt from the ground. So I get set up in the tree I chose and after I get settled in I hear noise on my right, on the trail and it's him in the opening of that trail laying down just moving around and making all sorts of noise lol... I text him and tell him he has to move from there cause that's where the Deer travel to and from their bedding areas/feed areas. Fast forward 2 more hours and he's walking behind me in the woods making noise and rustling through the leafs and breaking sticks etc... At this point I've really had it, so again I text him and alert him we won't be getting anything (yet alone see anything) because of his moving and making noise.

Fast forward to our evening hunt. I bring the extra hang on with us and set us both up in the same tree (big mistake). Not 5 mins in the tree and he's already restless, moving around making noise etc. But the last straw was we had a Doe come in on my right in the brush 15yds straight and making a line for the opening of the field we were set up on and he had placed a empty water bottle in the tree earlier and I told him several hrs before he might want to remove that and he stated it's fine etc... So when I get up and grab my bow to get ready for a possible encounter guess what happened, he got up to see and when he did bumped that water bottle and it fell and hit the brush next to us at the bottom of the tree making all sorts of commotion and spooked the Doe so much that she pounded her legs and was breathing heavy through her nostrils of course after running away.... And that was 30mins or so before last light, and didn't see anything again... And the day was slow anyhow.

In closing it's great to help others out who are new to hunting etc... But the lesson I've learned after that was maybe I'm just not the guy who is patient enough for the task... I mean I got my then 7yr old Son last season in the stand with me for his time on several occasions and he was nowhere near that noisy in and on all our hunts as this friend of mine was yesterday.

Sorry for the long Rant!!!

<>< + ><>

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm probably the same way. I have a hard time hunting with other people because I have to compromise too much. I want to hunt my way and not worry about making sure the other hunter is taken care of. I hunt alone 95% of the time.

3. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope it doesn't come across as if I feel better then cause I don't.

And I agree with you, like you stated we have a style and know where and when we want to hunt and noise level and scent control etc are of upmost importance... I have several friends who have hunted longer then I and have and don't have issues like this with them.

<>< + ><>

4. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of people that i talk to have this same problem, My girlfriends father especially. He has told me stories of time after time this happening to him so he said he will rarely take anyone out there with him. Last season, a fellow student in several of my college classes who has never been hunting said he wanted to go. When we went, he always drank a large red fanta that smelled like fruit punch. I could even smell it downwind of him. Then when we got to the place we were going to set up, we got in behind some brush. The bugs were pretty bad but ever five seconds we would swat at them and make a big commotion with his hand. He would stretch and make groaning sounds. After the hunt, I talked to him about tall these things and he apologized because he didn't know. I realized it was a failure on my part. I should have gave him an in-depth talk about deer and deer hunting. The deer's sense of smell. Sitting in the stand quietly and being still. So i talked to him about it and everything continued to get better.
    Now with my girlfriend, she hasn't really ever hunted either. Grown up with it, been around it, been to deer camp, but not actually in the woods hunting but maybe a few times. We went coyote hunting last winter and I talked to her several times in the stand at a slight whisper. At the end of the hunt she said that she was scared to say anything because of the stories and the things about not making any sound that her father has said about hunting. Now there were two extremes, one being extremely loud in the stand and the other not wanted to make a sound because she thought she would ruin the hunt.
    So i definitely understand your frustration with this hunting partner. Just relax and take it one step at a time showing him the way of a hunter.
    P.S. i think i convinced my girlfriend to climb in a tree with me this year! I'm excited!

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I think a lot of new bowhunters that are moving into the sport from gun hunting just don't realize how different it really is. There's a huge difference between killing a deer at 100 yards with a rifle than trying to get one into closer than 20 yards with a bow. There's a leaning curve for sure, I had to go through that myself when I started bowhunting and the first 3 years or so I was a pretty crappy bow hunter. It took my making mistakes and learning from them before I was finally successful. It's hard to make someone understand how different it is until they get out there and start making mistakes. If I take someone hunting, I will make sure to set them up nice an FAR away from me. That way their mistakes don't affect my hunt. Like I said, it just takes time in the woods and mistakes being made for most people to realize they can't bow hunt like the gun hunt.

6. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron Jones and Skywalker... Totally agree with both your responses... This friend of mine understands hunting cause he's been a turkey hunter for years, though I've never went with him... So his awareness of hunting and all should have been a lot better. Also, had spoken with him several times the weeks leading up to yesterday and told him I have 2 extra hang on treestands, and extra harnesses if he needs them, he Said no he was getting a climber and had harness.. The main issue with me is just the noise level (trust me I'm not 1 who believes you can't speak, or move) cause I know I move around .... It's just I felt he releated Deer hunting with Turkey hunting and I explained to him it was totally different IMHO leading up to us hunting yesterday....Both challenging no doubt though

< + >

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the same way.

The one time I did take out a newbie, I accepted the fact that it would be more of a "hiking trip" than a hunting trip. We setup on the ground with a small wall-type blind, the kind you would use for turkey hunting. Brushed it in a bit and sat. Didn't see anything.

It wasn't that bad though because I already had a low expectation of hunting success. I think if you try to take a new person out for a 'normal' day of hunting, it will probably be far from normal. There's just too many variables to consider, especially if both people aren't on the same page or they haven't hunted together before.

8. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree... My Wife even said since it was my 1st chance to get out (you, RugerRedbone and Finny) all got out on opening day didn't you? That I should have planned this later on in the season with him, my expectations were high for that reason (1st time out) and he really wanted to get out as well and him being a turkey hunter I really didn't expect what happened to happen lol

< + >

9. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't go out Friday or Saturday b/c of the heatwave lol. Monday and yesterday were my first days but I definitely wouldn't bring someone out during the first few hunts of the season. Those are for me to enjoy by myself :)

At least now you know and lesson learned right?

10. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

:woot: I hear ya

11. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I took one of my friends hunting in November, it wasn't 20 minutes before he was cold and stood up and started to rub his arms and legs trying to keep warm. He is still my buddy, but that was the only time I hunted with him.

12. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I have figured out there are some places to take friends and there are some places they will never see.

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I look at taking noobs hunting just like lending money to family and gambling on stocks, never wager anything you can't afford to lose.
    If that guy acts like that turkey hunting then I'd hate to have to survive off his ability to produce food.

14. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

.... I Agree with all these responses !!

15. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am right there with you...Me and my Dad and brother hunt together occasionally which is fine and I have taken my oldest son a few times...Other than that it is Me, Myself, and I.....

16. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am thankful a friend of mine took me out for the first time. Granted i sat 1/4 mile away from him in a line of trees. Within 5 minutes of being there i was busted by a doe for moving too much. Lesson learned. It made me a better bowhunter. Not knocking anyone, just giving you the other side too. I have been busted more times then I have shot deer. It is that endless pursuit to be the best hunter i can that brings me back season after season. Good luck to all of you this season, be safe!!!!!

17. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy hunting with people it's a great time and is a chance to make great memories. But I don't like babysitting people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess what really matters is how much you like the people you hunt with. I hunt with my brothers, dad and best friend. We have all tagged up and done 100 things dumber (and funnier) then spooking a doe with a plastic bottle. I wouldn't trade any of the priceless memories I have with my family and friends over the years for a deer encounter.

If you get THAT bent out of shape over spooking a doe in September you either just don't like the guy or you need to relax and not take yourself so seriously.

Hunting is a lot like golf..........it CAN be incredibly fun if you share that time with the right people, yet terribly boring to do alone.

19. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

All 3 great answers... People you hunt with that are experienced or as Lastoneout stated that you don't have to babysit are fine and I have a few that that is the way it is they are experienced and even taught a old dog like me a thing or 2. Also being that he has turkey hunted numerous times posted on his FB account the pics etc I wouldn't and didn't consider him a beginner, granted he has never deer hunted but still the woods aren't anything new to him...

I guess the entire day was set ablaze when I wanted to meet at 5 and be there around 5:15 and be in the spot set up and ready way before sunrise...but due to being late and not ready I wasn't set and ready till actually sunrise lol

20. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your not early your late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk