Bale blind questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scarps23, Sep 9, 2014.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a general idea of what we are going to use to make the blind and how to make it. Using some deck boards that we have around to build a base. Something we can get bale mover underneath to move with tractor. Carpet the floor. Use hog panels for frame. Black plastic around frame. Burlap or straw material for outside. Probably put something on the bottom to anchor on ground with stakes in case of storms.

I'm wondering how well they last in regards to little critters getting in them and chewing up plastic. We would be able to keep it in a shed most of the year. We have rodent poisen we would probably use. Any other suggestions or experiences with bale blinds over time holding up? How to keep critters out?

I read somewhere to leave the outside of windows black so the deer are used to the black window. Seems like a good idea to me. Not worried about it looking like hay bale to people. We are going to make it pretty big. Wondering if anyone has experience with this?

Any other suggestions from people that have built them? Especially for the windows. Thinking of just cutting out holes for windows and swinging them in and having something to hold them up. Any good ideas for doors that are simple? I don't care about pretty, but more effectiveness. Pictures are very helpful!

2. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't really know much about building one but have seen it discussed . If your state does not allow baiting then you would not want to use straw on it . Your conservation department would be able to tell you what materials would be allowed on it , might pay to check with them .

3. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't even cross my mind that could be illegal. I'm in Iowa. Anyone know the regs on this?

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you would be well within all regs by doing this. I also live in Iowa and built a bale blind last year. I used erosion control matting for the straw and then covered the entire thing with chicken wire to hold it all in place.

View attachment 51017 View attachment 51018 View attachment 51019 View attachment 51020 View attachment 51021

For the door, I just cut one from a cattle panel and used fencing staples to fasten it to the one side of the wood frame so it swings on them like a hinge. Super easy.

5. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll put up more pics this weekend, but basically I did the same thing as far as using erosion netting, cattle panels, and a wooden frame. For windows I just cut a hole in the plastic and left it hanging so I can close it and tie it up. The door was stapled and is just tied up. Not pretty, but it definitely works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Good looking pictures. Managed to find some chicken wire laying around. Should only need to buy the black tarp material and straw matting. My dad has it in his head he would like to not use straw and camouflage it in with some sort of wrap with leaves etc. Not sure which way would be better. We are going to make it big. Roughly 8 feet wide. We found some old big posts to connect the floor and wiring to. Here are pictures of where we will put it up. We planted buck oats here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our idea was to put a blind into the treeline to the right. To the left is a fence line with corn in field. Brushed in camouflage might work well for treeline. I feel like with the straw bale we could put it on the fence line facing the timber for a better vantage point.

Any thoughts on which way to go? Do the deer seem to mind the bale being in the wide open on fenceline? I would assume they wouldn't.

8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I once made a blind out of old corn stalks that didn't get picked. Pretty sure its not considered baiting. But maybe it is who knows.

9. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know when I've glassed this summer the deer walk right around it so they don't seem to care.

10. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. I think looking towards the woods is going to be better. See more of the deer approaching hopefully.

11. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Call your DNR if you're concerned about baiting. I did two years ago and they had a good laugh. No, my straw bale blind was not considered baiting. I bought one of those straw wraps that fits around my pop-up blind like wrapping paper. Going on season three and its still lasting. Getting a little less full each year but I leave it out a few months at least and take it down after season is over.

12. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a pic. haybale.jpg

13. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    I believe I know how you guys did things. My question is in regards to the black plastic and straw soil erosion mat. How to attach? Tip ties and where at? I have chicken wire too.

14. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that was good question timing...

[​IMG]

Yup, just some zip ties through the mat and plastic, I attached the plastic with ties then laid on the straw mat. Then just put the outer zip ties through both. Oh, and chicken wire works too.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I just made a 5x6 frame with 2x4s, then ran a board up on each side and across the top to hold the wire up. I had some siding laying around too, so I used a few pieces to give it more of a curved structure.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That cross beam ensured the top beam was square, I have another one on the right side on the other end of the blind.

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good. We have the basic shape formed.

[​IMG]

I figured that was the way to attach things but didn't know if I was missing something easier or better built.

Your blind looks good to me. I haven't figured what I'm going to use for ends and door. We are out of cattle panel that we had laying around. Trying to come up with mostly things laying around. If I need to buy some more stuff it will work fine too. So far I have $52 in it. That cost was for plastic and straw which isn't added yet.

16. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Giant round bale blind finally done. 8 ft by 6 ft. Cattle panels used with plastic. Erosion straw mats. Zip tied everything together. Glue wasn't needed. Didn't hurt, but I don't think it was needed.

Fits two people very comfortably. I'm 6'5 and can almost stand up. We'll see how it holds up. Windows and door weren't done real well, but I just wanted it finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good man. I wanted to make one but ended up running short on time so went out and bout one.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

18. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good!