Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by spoon33, Sep 9, 2014.

1. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you planned to never live on some land you bought, and used it just for hunting or whatever you wanted, what would be the smallest amount. Obviously you should only buy what you can afford, but if you could afford 8-10 acres would u buy it, or would it be a waste of money because you need at least 30-40 acres to actually to make it worth the money and time invested into owning land.

A majority of the land I would buy would be mainly wooded here in Oklahoma if that matters.

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had looked for land for about 2 years before we finally decided on 40 acres here in MI. Ideally we wanted 80 acres but the price being asked all around MI just wasn't worth it for us. We ended up finding strictly hunting property under an hour and a half away and I couldn't be happier with it. No, I probably won't be able to develop any kind of herd on my parcel or hold big bucks but, I will be able to hunt those bucks very strategically when they cut through our lot heading from bedding to CRP. Another big thing we looked for is the possibilities of expanding in years to come. we have equal sized lots to the South and North we could pick up to make a solid 80.

3. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Location, location, location...I killed more deer off my old 6 acre mini-farm than any other place I've ever hunted. No BIG bucks but LOTS of deer. The trick? It was bordered by a dairy farm on one side, 85 acres of woods on the other and a multi-thousand acre wildlife management area to the back. It's the only thing I lost in the divorce that I miss!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would go as small as an acre if awesome spot. If I was looking to transform a place, I'd want 20 acres. Unless I go out of my area I will never own land more than likely so pipe dream for me to think about it.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    For me, just a few acres in the right place would be enough. Then again, I would never buy a few acres to keep as hunting ground AND not live on. If I was only buying 8-10 acres, I would want to live there or in very close proximity.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, location is everything. Just a couple acres may be well worth it in some areas, were 50 acres may not be worth it in others. As far as where I live, I'd want at least 10 acres in the right situation. 100 would be better though.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was buying it just for hunting and no other reason it's going to be over a 100 acres. If there are other reasons to own it, investment, to live on ect ect then I would consider a smaller piece with hunting as secondary benefit.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it is the right spot, the right price with the right neighbors and the right situation I would buy land for hunting that was less than an acre.

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heres a situation that could happen. Two guys have mega bucks in their wooods and connecting them is a natural funnel point 40 yards wide. that 40 yard wide peice of land would be worth more per acre then each of their woods, even combined probably and you would only need 1 acre

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have always said give me a 30 yard circle around a tree and it can be done. :)

11. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    80 acres would be about right for me. I would take 40 if it was surrounded by some property that had been managed well.

12. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    40 acres would be my minimum

13. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt thousands of acres and like others have said , location is everything . My favorite property is 20 acres but I only have 2 sands on it that cover a total of maybe 5 acres .

14. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well ideally I'd love 100ac but 40ac would be fabulous. In our area property sells for $4G to $10G per acre. I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt one of my uncle's 100ac farms at no cost to me, but there were 2 x 50ac parcels across the road that were sold for $500+G each a couple years ago. So unless I win to LOTTO it doesn't look like hunting property is in my immediate future.

TrackSoup

15. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the 10 acres was mostly wooded and there was good sign on it I would buy. My stepfather bowhunter 5 acres of woods years ago and killed lots of deer on it. Obviously if they aren't there then that's no good but I definitely wouldn't count it out. Obviously the more the better! My wife and I are looking for somewhere between 20-40 right now.

16. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me I would say 10 or more. We live on 5 acres and I guess if it was all wooded it would be OK but boy those property lines come up quick if you were to shoot a deer. Not to mention neighbors out doing their thing on their property when you are looking for a little 'quiet stand time'.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, I'd say about 20 acres assuming it has other things going for it. In reality, there really are no parcel less than 20 in my area. Most are 40 acres and up.

The biggest issue I see when you get to properties less than 20 acres is tracking your wounded game. I guess you would need to know who the neighbors are and how they would react when you tell them a deer you shot went onto their land.

With all that said, something is always better than nothing so if you don't have other opportunities, then a small piece might just be the ticket.

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If for hunting alone, 5-10 acres could work easily but there are a lot of ifs to consider. It needs to be in a great area with good deer traffic. It needs to have good neighbors, as others have mentioned you need to be able to recover game. Last but not least is it needs to be surveyed for correct size and access right of way needs to be deeded along with it.

You don't want to end up owning a small plot of ground back in the middle of nowhere and no legal access to it. Verbal agreements won't cut it, they don't last and aren't dependable.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Outside of tax sale acquisitions it's illegal in IN to sell a parcel without access to it :)

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It may be that way everywhere, I'm not sure but OP'er is in OK. Law or not, deals get done and sometimes these things wind up a hairy mess that takes a court to fix...certainly is easier to think about beforehand and not have the worry later.