Shooting a 100 grain tip vs. a 125 grain tip

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mab, Sep 7, 2014.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see where some of you are shooting a 125 gr. tip. Some of you are not shooting with that much DW. I have (after reading some of the other posts) wondered what might be some of the advantages of going with the extra 25 grains. Currently, I am using the Killzone low KE bh this year. I am (despite my signature) shooting at 28" dl and 55 lb. dw. I was possibly considering using the 125 gr NAP Hellrazor.
    One of the advantages I suppose would be greater penetration. What other advantages or disadvantages would there be? Thanks everyone.

2. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    while penetration did increase quite a bit, the extra weight really helped by quieting down my set up.

3. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 125 because it may just be in my mind but the extra 25 grains seems I need up the broadhead. The heads seem sturdier to me. Also you get just a lil more FOC. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 125's for the following reasons: Higher FOC / Increased Penetration / Quieted the Bow

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X2!!! I have always shot 125 Gr. heads...

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot 125's. With some broadheads it is also a bigger cut.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    only you can decide if it makes a difference to you or not; but one disadvantage of shooting a 125 is fairly significant drop in trajectory. At 40 yards I'm about 6" lower than point of aim vs. a 100gr head. I shoot a 31" 350gr arrow from about 67lbs. Last time I chrono'd it I was at about 285fps.

May not be a big enough drop to keep you from using it, but for me it messes with my sights big time - the pre-sets no longer work once I get locked in at 50.

8. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting.. I just got out today to dial in my HHA sight. I was shooting some 100 grain and 125 grain heads, and I was pretty surprised by the results. I got a drop of maybe 4" at 40 yards between the two. My arrows are 370 grains with the 100 grain head, and 395 with the 125. 29.5", 55 lb draw weight, 286 FPS on the chrono. At 20 yards there really wasn't a difference, and at 30 it was maybe an inch and a half to two inches. For whatever reason, my arrows grouped better with 125 grain heads as well. I'll be heading out to the longer range again here in a couple of days to confirm that.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So yeah, you're seeing about the same thing as me. I never would have thought it would have been that big of a drop/distance at 40, but there you go. Wait till you dial it out to 50 or 60. The drop is exponential.

With my V5 pre-sets, using 100gr heads I'm good with the top pin being 2" high at 15, ~dead on at 35. Pins 2-5 are then set for 45, 55, 65, and 75. All I have to do is set my middle pin at 55 and everything else falls into place with minimal (none in my case) additional micro-adjustments needed.

With 125s I'm already on my 2nd pin to get dead on at 40, 3rd pin is already a little low at 50, 4th pin is 55, and 5th pin is a touch low at 60. So I run out of pins at 15 yards shorter vs. 100gr tips.

10. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me I hunt wooded areas and won't be shooting further than 30-35 yards to begin with so the change at shorter distances is pretty negligible. I can see where it would be an issue at 75 yards. I guess my deciding factor on which I shoot is going to come down to which montec flies better, the 100 or 125 grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quieter set up, more penetration, and greater KE.

I not gonna take a shot beyond 30 yards. With today's bows, the drop is negligible at those distances compared to benefits of heavier broadheads.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, I also add weighted inserts even :)

13. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting 225 gr single bevel broadheads this year. Total arrow weight of 623 if I remember correctly. There is a significant change in trajectory, it's not as bad as I would've thought. I use an HHA and my new 20 yard spot is at the old 25 yard spot, my new 30 yard spot is at my old 37 yard spot, my new 40 yard spot is at my old 49 yard spot, and my new 50 yard spot is at my old 62 yard spot. For comparison purposes, my old arrows were total weight of 493 grains with a 125 gr head. The pros of a heavy arrow far outweight the cons, imo.

14. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. I am quite surprised, I thought for sure I was going to "start it again" by mentioning what bh I am using and which one I might switch to. To my surprise, no mention of it. Thanks again. I might just try out a 125 and see how it does. I do have a few target points in that weight.

15. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I swiched to 125's and it very noticably shrank my shot groups and overall accuracy.