What are your top assets as a hunter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've done this type of thread before about skills, but now I'm talking assets. What do you see are yout top assets as a hunter?

For me:

- Access to thousands of acres of land right out my front door.
    - A job that slows in the early Fall and all but stops by the rut. I have soooo much time to hunt.
    - An amazing and understanding wife. Not only does she support my passion but she occasionally participates :tu:
    - I'll throw the lake in here too. gives me an awesome way to access the areas I love to hunt.

2. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Persistence
    Only have to work 3 days a week. Off Monday thru Thursday.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Self employed

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Toilet Paper seems to be the top asset. Other than that, I have 42 and 64 acres to hunt all by myself. I also work with a lot of other hunters, the office gets pretty quiet during this part of the year.

5. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would guess persistance as well, but for a different reason. I work 7 days a week so when i see an hour or two i can get out I make sure i spend every free minute I can in the woods.

-Andrew

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest asset is I work as hard as anybody on attempting to improve my chances. I don't take shortcuts and I'm very anal about things.

The drive to read, learn, try new things and ask questions to always keep improving. Always trying to get better in every aspect.

7. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Patience and experience...both unfortunately came with age so you can add arthritis to the list but it's not an asset :rant:

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My ability to see deer in the woods and persistence. I will continue hunting through to the end of season if I haven't accomplished what I set out to do yet.

9. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My top assets are probably my close friends and father I can always call for tips or advice in a certain situation when I get stumped, and having the ability to always listen and try to learn something from any situation. And a very support huntress of a gf also helps quite a bit.

10. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say in general, our biggest asset as hunters is productive property to access and hunt. obviously, if you have no place to hunt, you can't even begin to get it done! I consider this mine too. in fact I was thinking this week that I probably have TOO many different properties to hunts. I know this might seem silly, but it wouldn't be so bad if they were not spread out all over the state. so I figure this season, if I actually get to hunt every other weekend through the season, I'll only end up hunting some of these properties for one weekend because it is an entire weekend's commitment to travel & hunt them. I'll end up concentrating on the higher producing properties first and foremost... there are a couple that are not so good, but are closer to home that I'll use on weekends when I might not have a full weekend pass.

my second biggest asset would be my experience in the field as a hunter. this, of course, covers a lot of different aspects of the hunting experience. I've been mentoring a new hunter this year and it's been challenging to try to pass on every bit of knowledge I can to him to help him be successful his first season out with a bow. but I can only do so much in helping him prepare... the rest will only come after making mistakes on his own and with experience in the field...

11. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest asset would be my strikingly good looks. It hasn't helped me at all with my deer hunting yet, but sooner or later that will change. Ha in all seriousness though, my biggest asset is the knowledge from these forums, reading magazines, books, etc. I grew up in a family that doesn't hunt, so I have had to teach myself along the way. I honestly couldn't have done it without the help of other hunters.

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't have a track record of killing big bucks, so I'm not going to blow a bunch of smoke on this subject.

I have killed deer consistently in big timber areas with populations between 2-5 dpsm though. I can find and get on deer in big timber very consistently. I also have no problem sitting all day. I know for a lot of guys sitting like that is torture but it doesn't bother me a bit and I can do it for days on end.

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My top Assets:

1) I'm Retired... I do work as an Adjunct Professor - but can set my own schedule to meet w/students.
    2) My Wife... She WANTS Venison - and throws me outa-da-house daily during hunting season if I'm hesitant.
    3) My 6th Sense... I seem to be able to 'feel' the presence of deer and can see them quicker in the woods than my cohorts.

14. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    200 acres of private land right out my back door and another 100 acres five minutes away. I'm also currently attending school that only takes up three days a week.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am very fortunate in that I live right where I hunt, the location of my land is another advantage my land backs up to a gated community that is 750 acres, no hunting allowed. I do not have an ag field within 5 miles of my land. I have no others to compete or even pressure the deer in that the neighbors do not hunt. I have the resources to put in food plots and feed the deer to maintain a healthy deer population.

One of the biggest advantages I have is scent control. I set up a tent and that is where my gear is kept, I shower in the house put on my scent free base layer and walk out to the tent to spray down and put on the cammo. I do not have to drive to hunt I walk.

My drive way is a half mile long every trip up and down is a scouting trip, I have cameras out year round and being that I live right there I can keep close tabs on the deer.

I get all the time I want off from work in the fall so I can be there hunting when the time is right.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am very fortunate in that I live right where I hunt, the location of my land is another advantage my land backs up to a gated community that is 750 acres, no hunting allowed. I do not have an ag field within 5 miles of my land. I have no others to compete or even pressure the deer in that the neighbors do not hunt. I have the resources to put in food plots and feed the deer to maintain a healthy deer population.

One of the biggest advantages I have is scent control. I set up a tent and that is where my gear is kept, I shower in the house put on my scent free base layer and walk out to the tent to spray down and put on the cammo. I do not have to drive to hunt I walk.

My drive way is a half mile long every trip up and down is a scouting trip, I have cameras out year round and being that I live right there I can keep close tabs on the deer.

I get all the time I want off from work in the fall so I can be there hunting when the time is right.

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not many:D

I live in close proximity to where I hunt, so I can hunt 6 days a week (Sunday's off in PA of course)
    I don't have children which makes the above possible
    I can manage the ground as I wish since it's my parent's.

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My top asset is simply one word.....OZONICS

LMAO!! but seriously my top asset is owning my own 40 acres surrounded by 1000 acres of soggy swamp. I'm able to and in the process of building food plots and sanctuaries.

19. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Patience and a whole lot of time and land.

20. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have to say having some experience at being out in the woods and having good mentors as a kid are my assets.