My son has chosen bowhunting over football

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bigwoodsbowhunter, Sep 1, 2014.

1. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Games were played on Friday nights and were over between 9:30 and 10:00 which meant not getting home until 11:00 and livng an hour drive from our hunting spot and plus the 30 minute walk to our stands he was faced with a choice and he chose bowhunting. I taught him to bowhunt since he was 5 years old, he is now 15 and he truly loves it! I struggle with this decision because I love the game of football and it kills me to know he will never play again, but it would hurt me more if I missed these precious years hunting with him. Has anyone else had this dilemma? Just looking for some advice.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    my son is 14 and loves to Bowhunt, but he also Loves hockey and plays for a travel team that starts up tonight. He only made it out in the woods 3 times last year. I told him he is only young once, and can only play hockey like this in this situation one time in his life.....I told him the "deer" and "bow hunting" will always be here until he is old and grey. Play high school sports now, and THEN hunt the rest of your life.

3. fakto30

fakto30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I chose bow hunting over basketball and even had scouts come watch me practice. I have nightmares till this day and I'm 32. I regret it all the time. I had the rest of my life to bowhunt but only a few years of basketball. If I could go back today I would in a heartbeat. It actually caused some bad blood between me and my dad and my dad loves hunting but he knew that I could've went somewhere playing ball.

4. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pick football and if its to late for him to be on the team just look at it as it wasnt meant to be the man up stairs will take care of the rest:tu:

5. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Which does he enjoy more? Unless he is throwing away scholarship opportunities hunting and football are the same thing, hobbies. Let him make his decision and it sounds like you'll be happy spending time with him either way.

6. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I played hockey from the time I was 4 until my senior year of college, which meant sacrificing a lot of my social and hunting/fishing time. I would give ANYTHING to be able to go back and re-live those days. If I had any advice to give, it would be to support your son's decision to do whatever he wants to do. However, I'd remind him that he's only young for such a short amount of time, and the opportunity to be an athlete disappears before you know it. He only has a few years left to leave it all out on the field, but he has a lifetime to bowhunt.

7. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats actually kind of funny you mention that. Because I can either start bull riding this spring or I can keep the 1 grand that I would have spent on equipment and get a new bow or something. Its always hard when the 2 things you love come head to head. But I think I'm going to bull ride and keep my crappy 90's bow.

8. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that unless he wasn't really into football as much I would say that he will miss out on football more. You can hunt a lot longer, or just hunt sundays and saturday evenings. Missing out on football entirely is likely something he would regret later in life. Especially that time with friends out on the field. That isn't something you get a chance at later.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really? there I a whole lot of hunting once season is done, let's jut hope the lad doesn't take up soccer

10. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's wrong with soccer?

To the op i would really recommend you pushing your son to play football. He will regret it later in life.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I coached football for many years, football and the Midwest apple pie and ice cream any thing else is second fiddle

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stop it

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Stop what?

14. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I played football through freshman year of high school, and then it quit being fun. Mostly because all I could dream about was being in a tree.
    I joined cross country the next year, which allowed me to be active and on a team, and still get to hunt.

When I quit football, I heard it from all the coaches... "You can hunt the rest of your life/You can only play football for these few years" and I will tell ya, that I wish I had quit football earlier. 10 years later into the "rest of my life" phase and I don't hunt nearly enough. Support his decision, and be thankful he shouldn't have any ACL surgeries in high school

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WOW it just wont end. I see you are trying to be clever putting in Olivia into his comment. SMH

16. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am faced with a similar situation. This year I chose to play for an elite fall and winter traveling team instead of hunting. I'll get out a few times but not nearly as many as I would like.

17. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I played sports all through high school and was glad i did but all i did was think about hunting. If he wants to hunt over football then youll have more time with him and you learn the same things from hunting as you would from any sport.

18. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    That was my bad I think. My daughter's name is Olivia and I type it often so my phone must have changed it.

19. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just remind him, your only young once. He is going miss out on a lot of fun, and friendships if he gives up Football. Like others have already stated. Bow hunting will always be there. Until he gets married (lol)

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough one for me as I coach football. But all I know is he needs to make his own decision either way.