Shot my rage practice head

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by joshua.waymire.1, Sep 1, 2014.

1. joshua.waymire.1

joshua.waymire.1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out and shot my rage practice head in the backyard. It was only at 20 yards but it flew a lot different than I expected. It was hitting low right for a few times and then just in the rings a little higher for a few times. My field points were all right where I know they should be. Has anyone else shot the practice head and had similar results? I'm just wondering now if the actual heads will do the same thing. I just don't want to shoot them and dull them before the season starts to find out.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have never heard of it, try the head on different arrows

3. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try some more tomorrow since I have it off. If I had more time today I would still be shooting. I only shot the practice head about 10 times and I couldn't find any consistency other than what I stated above. I'm hoping that the actual heads fly much better

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot other heads recently to compare? It is very possible your bow could be slightly out of tune.

5. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had that happen yesterday. I was shooting field point and they were dead on. Then I shot the rage practice head and it fell low, real low. So I shot my grim reaper practice head and it was dead on with my field points. So I thought it might have been me since I had shot about 40-50 arrows and tried again. Same thing happened. FP dead on, Grim Reaper dead on, Rage low… real low. All were 100gr on Maxima Reds. I may try again today and might even try a real rage BH to see if it falls too. You may try that and see if the practice head is just junk. I noticed that the screws that hold the "blades" in on the practice head stick out where the real broadhead is flush but I'm not sure if that is the reason or if it's something with the weight or flight.

6. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what it is but I'm a little confused about it. If the real heads fly this way then I just wasted my money on them. I know my bow is right and I'm sure it wasn't my fault since my field points are right where they always are. I'll be looking into them more tomorrow just to ease my mind

7. fakto30

fakto30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I buy replacement blades and I shoot what I'm going to be bunting with so I don't have any surprises.

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take it as one of life's little lessons and use a different head. It's better then missing an animal or worse wounding one. Stick with what works and forget about the advertising of a crappy product.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just because your field points are hitting their mark doesn't mean your bow is properly tuned, hence why the practice broadhead is flying majorly different than your field points. It could simply mean you adjusted your sight and got your arrows hitting in one spot.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What rage practice head ?

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It's not 100% certain, but there's a good chance you may not quite be in tune. As another poster mentioned, just because your field points are hitting dead on doesn't mean your BH's (assuming you're not 100% in tune).

Start here first (scroll down to your section on BH tuning).

Also, a little information about your setup would be helpful. Poundage, spine, point weight, arrow length?

The inconsistency of your POI makes me think it could possibly be a torque issue, but mechanical's tend to cover these flaws up a bit more than a traditional fixed blade, so it seems odd you're high, then low, etc.

12. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is in tune I just replaced the strings and cables and set it all back up last weekend to make sure its ready for this season. I did a walk back tune on it so it should be right. I'm shooting a Hoyt rampage set at 65# DL is 27 inches arrows are Easton bloodline 400s 7.7 gpi tip weight is 100 grains. Sight is an HHA optimizer ultra it was just redone when I did the walk back tune. Its dead on other than I need to bump it to the left a hair.

13. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    This is the field points. I had to aim in a different spot for the 4th shot just because I didn't want to bust an arrow

14. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    It didn't post the first time

Attached Files:

15. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    This is a field point (top) and the practice head (bottom). I know my bow is a hair to the right but that's because I haven't adjusted the windage knob yet. The only thing that gets me is the practice head is so low. I shot a little higher on purpose with the field point just incase I hit my arrow. That was the last shot. Every other one was either lower or higher and I'm not too sure why.

Attached Files:

16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could just be a bad practice head, do the fake blades looked warped at all? Are the blades loose and wobbly?
    I've never experienced this problem, I'm shooting 3 practice heads and there dead on for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    They looked ok to me but I'll check them again tomorrow morning before I get some more practice in. I'm just hoping the actual bh doesn't perfom this badly. Granted it would still be a kill shot since the head hit in the bulls eye every time but I'm not too fond of having a bh do what it wants to and not what I expect it to do.

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ya i hear ya, you definately need to have the utmost confidence in your gear when your trying to seal the deal. how many heads do you have? it might be worth using a real one to make sure? I bought 2 3 packs of the rage HD last year and before i went in the woods, i used a real one to make sure it would fly true even though the practice one was dead on.

19. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought one pack yesterday because I wanted to get new arrows and a bh target so if I dint want the wife mad I could only get one 3 pack. But I've been thinking about getting another pack just to see what a real one doe.

20. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received: