Tips on surviving an all day hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KDORSETT12, Aug 29, 2014.

1. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As the rut approaches us, I've read about a lot of hunter's doing all day sits. I have never done one and plan on doing a few this year. Anyone have any pointers?

2. n432cal

n432cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a dang comfortable stand...

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, have a comfortable stand. I have a elevated blind (floor at 11') that has windows, heat/stove and a very comfortable swivel seat. Bring a magazine or book. Bring lunch.

I also have 4 stands close by to go sit for while if I want. One is a box blind (no heat), 2 are hang-ons and a ladder stand. To break up the day I can go spend a couple of hours at a different stand.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pack a Lunch, Stay Hydrated, Get Comfy, Layer Clothing, and dont fall asleep!

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wear the right clothes and quit eating at about 2 pm the day before. :tu:

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just suck it up and do it.

But really.. You will become uncomfortable, cold (layer up), hungry, and tired at some point. It'll be worth it though when that buck walks by

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you have a comfortable stand. I do 5-10 all day sits every year in my Lone Wolf Sit & Climb. I've modified it with a seat from a Summit stand and footrests as well so it packs easily, but is also very comfortable for long sits.

Nothing will kill your all day sit quicker than being cold or wet. I'm not much of a gadgets guy anymore, but I do spend money on and have a nice collection of clothes. This is the number one thing that will keep me in the stand longer.

Food and water are also important. Also, being cold burns calories quickly, I pack more than I would normally eat in an average day. My average pack list for an all day sit would include at least 20oz of water, 2x 5 Hour Energy Drinks, 2x granola bars, 2x sandwiches, and maybe a piece or two of leftover Halloween candy. Usually every couple of hours I'm munching on something.

I also bring a smart phone. This year I bought myself a Mophie case as well so it more than doubles the battery life of my iPhone. I know it's not ideal to be messing with the phone, but if it keeps me in the stand longer it's worth it to me. I don't screw around with the phone during peak hunting hours, but mid-day I'll use it to harass my buddies and surf the web.

Other than this, I'd say don't be afraid to nap in the stand. Sure, you can miss things when napping, but it's part of the enjoyment for me to take a good nap up there. You are still more likely to kill a deer napping in a stand than you are sitting in the truck eating lunch.

8. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A comfortable stand helps a lot, but you can do it without a completely comfortable stand. Just be sure and scan your area and alternate standing/sitting while you're in it. Plus, I nap. No telling how many deer I've missed sleeping in stand though, so nap sparingly.

Also, breakfast, a lunch, and dinner, some drinks (bottled water), and snacks make the day pass quicker. I always have a hard time doing the day sits because I usually get hungry and bored.

For the boredom, I usually pack a few books. If I finish one I can move onto the next one. Paperbacks are lighter to pack in than hardcover. Lol. Magazines also work and are easier to pack-in.

You can always switch to reading after your phone dies...because it will. And since that is the case, packing in a small digital camera for taking your pics with your buck is recommended, because your phone will be out of commission towards the end of the day.

Resist the urge to climb down and walk around. The urge will be there. Just don't. Also, take a slam either the morning before you leave or the night before. You don't want the urge to take care of paperwork to happen while you're in stand. Taking a leak, however, is no big deal. Just let er fly!

Best of luck on the all day sits. They're trying, but can be rewarding.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a Millenium stand. PROBELM SOLVED!!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ Also, take a Pee Bottle with you. I use to have a problem with sitting all day until I found out about Millenium stands. Then, you have to focus on not falling asleep! :tu:

11. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by "as the rut approaches us"? Did I just miss September and half of October? Man I am TOOOOO busy at work! :rant:

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just plan ahead. Don't drink huge amounts of water. Don't eat lots of food. Don't drink a bunch of coffee on the way to the stand...

I did 2 last year. I simply took 1 bottle of gatoraide, 1 bottle of water, and 1 bag of a softer "chip" like cracker combos. Jerky works well too.
    I took the approach of making it more taxing on the body rather than have to deal with bodily functions, if that makes sense.

Really it wasn't that bad. I have a muddy stand and it was plenty comfortable. I didn't get too bored. time went by really quick.

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My phone and a thermos of hot apple cider have gotten me through many a day-long sits.

14. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah a charged cell phone! And some water.

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love all day sits!! Being in the woods from 1 hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset is what it's all about for me. I do between 10-15 per year. Everyone pretty much summed up what i would say and recomend. Just sit back and relax and take it all in...If you find yourself talking to squirrels...then you have a problem!

EDIT: I also highly recommend a stanley thermos full of coffe or somthing warm. It really keeps your spirits up when you've been on the stand for 9 hours and your shivering. That warm coffee really hits the spot!

16. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the feedback, I think y'all covered pretty much everything! Thanks!

17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its a must to wear a diaper. Have a PB&J and a bottle of water. Good for over 24 hrs!

18. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    take naps, and plenty of them. :bash:

19. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice given above. I've done several and the only advice I have is pack clothes to layer, bring plenty of snacks, plenty of "entertainment" whether it's your phone, book, tablet, whatever. My phone dies after about an hour of constant use out where I hunt because its always "searching for signal". On more than one occasion I've gotten groggy enough to where I actually climbed down, stretched out against the base of my tree and slept for an hour. It never hurt anything as far as I know .

20. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some apple trees in one area I hunt and will take some apple jolly ranchers in with me. Helps pass the time when Im trying to get the darn candy unstuck from my teeth!! Take the candy out of the cellophane wrappers though and put inside a baggy or re-wrap in wax paper.