Naming Deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So here's a good debate for the day...........

I've seen over the last 5 years or so a common trend of people starting to name the deer they pursue. It's apparently the "cool" thing now and it seems that everyone has names for the bucks they have on camera.

Do you name the deer you are pursuing? If not............why not?

:beer:

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I do. When I see a big buck I call him lots of things. Lol. Don't name them until I see them with my bow in hand. Never saw the point.

3. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if it's the cool thing to do but I enjoy it. I do it mostly to keep track of certain deer instead of just calling them "8 pointer" or "10 pointer". Sometimes I let my godson name them which he enjoys.

4. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only name deer with specific traits. And even at that, I've only done it once. I think most of the deer names are pretty cheesy. Especially names like "freak nasty" and "swamp donkey"

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My son and I name the bucks on our property just so we know which buck we saw or are looking for. names we have used are "chunk" "Clockwork" "bonsai" "lardass" "pirate hooker" (big nana doe who is off limits) I know it's the "cool" thing to do, but it does make it a lot easier to identify in conversation.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I generally do name the ones that stand out. This is the first year I have not really named any new ones. I generally try to be practical with the names and base them off of a first impression or specific traits to that particular deer. Tall ten, wide ten, meat hook, two towers...etc.
    I do it mostly because I have to share pics with landlords and family and it makes it easier for everyone to know what specific deer any one of us is talking about at any given time. It's a hell of a lot more convenient referring to an individual deer by name rather than, "You know that one deer with the antlers". :lol:

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No need for me to name them because I do not share pics....until the buck is reduced to possession

8. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that is keeping it tight to the vest there.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I name them so they can be identified in conversation. Plus, it does add a personal touch when you have history with a deer. Even though I don't tell many people about the bucks I still enjoy naming them.

10. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I name the bigger deer and identifiable deer. Its easier when texting to my hunting buddy from stand, speaking of a buck in conversation, and its fun to do. I have two named currently, one Junior because he looks like a young version of a buck I shot two years ago and another called Eddie Lacy. My buddies son named him because Eddie Lacy is a beast and the deer is a beast of a ten point.

11. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like most of the others, I name them just to easily identify them...not because it's cool.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not all the time but if there is a specific reason or trait that makes sense then we will. It's also useful when we call or text each other after a kill so we know what deer the other is talking about. It's for identification, not because it's cool.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

14. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think calling them a names like wide 8 or tall 8 are fine but some of the names people come up with are just down right stupid. Im sure that they get them from the Outdoor or Sportsman Channels..........Oh man Waddell and his gang named a deer the Freak Nasty Swamp Sasquatch Lurch Jr. so I'm gonna use it to give me a better chance to kill the deer.......Did i mention that i can't stand names like these haha

15. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife couldn't help but love what you and your boy's are doing to name the deer, or bucks. She is super sentimental and said to me tonight that those are the sort of things family are made of. Just our two cents, and thoughts.

16. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might call this guy Rick James:

[​IMG]

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why would I share with those who do not run a feeding program that try to set up close to where I hunt to reap the benefits, I get 3 people who do not know me a week asking to hunt where I do. I live in a high profile area and have developed prime deer habitat. Like I want to give it away, the area I developed over the last 20 years. People give me crap for not sharing I have spent thousands on feed and food plots and habitat yet they act bitter when I say no to permission. I earned it I paid taxes and own the land all along it has been my goal to develop the land the way I wanted I get pissed when people get an attitude because I won't share. If you want what I have buy land and work your *** off, don't get an attitude when I say no

18. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first year in a long time deer hunting and first with a bow. I saw guys naming the deer they pursue in videos and thought it was cool, brought a more personal touch to hunting and found it easier to refer to in conversation. My dad is almost 70 and has never named an animal he's pursued in his life. I never even talked to him about it but just started calling a few bucks "by name" this year and he's doing it an not even knowing it. But I have noticed it's easier in our conversations since you don't have to say, you know that one we saw wherever that had 3 on the left and 4 on the right? It's just easier to refer to them by name and identify them for me.

19. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im with the majority here...i name them to make it easier in conversation to identify specific bucks.

20. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly why I do it...I dont really like hunting by myself all the time. my hunting buddies and I share the the experience from start to finish. We are legitimately happy for each other when someone is successful. Naming deer is just part of both deconfliction and syncing efforts to be successful. Why would anyone give a flying ...... whether I name a deer swamp donkey or tits magee or your mamma.....how on earth does that effect you? GET OVER IT....