Hunting blind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keith Mako, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a hunting blind and want to use it on public land. I don't want to leave the blind in the woods and have it grow legs. I have heard a lot about leaving it out so the deer will get use to it being there. I was woundering if any one had any succsess with puting it out on the same day?

2. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on location and how much local vegetation is available to brush it in. Set it up in your yard for a while so it can air out.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Public land ground blind seems like it would be tough. Blinds work best when they are permanently brushed in and have been established otherwise they'll stick out like a sore thumb. If I were using it on public land, I'd only hunt the afternoon- when I had time to brush it in and spray it down real good. Not sure it's the best way to go but good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy bought a Baronnet Ground blind and set it up the first day we hunted state land last year. Less than an hour into our hunt he had two bucks within 15 yards. They looked at his blind with some caution but, they took too long and he shoot one.

5. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^this. that way it won't walk unless you got sticky finger neighbors. won't hurt to pre treat it for ticks also

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will have to find an area to let it air out we have dogs and the yard is about the size of a side walk. I will consider all that was said. I hope it all works out. I want to get a climber I think my wife will kill me if I spend any more money this month. (so I wont) I heard that they are noisey and don't work very well. I hate having to go by hearsay but I am new so trial and error.

7. n432cal

n432cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just brush it in very well, you should be fine.

8. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keith -
    I think that if you find a location away from the "easy" access areas, brush the blind in really well, then you should be ok. If it's brushed in well enough so the deer don't pay attention to it, then most "theives" won't see it either. The other thing to remember is that the thieves are looking for a quick, easy take, so if you make it tougher for them to find you should be ok with leaving it out. Now having said that - if it is one of the more expensive blinds, personally I would reconsider. It's a tough choice.
    I leave my $100 blind out for the season. Of course, it only lasts 2 seasons, but nobody steals it! Blinds are not really noisy and will cut down on the wind and hide your movements.

You could also consider making a blind out of natural material. Right off the bat - you wife will love that! Second, no one will steal it and thirdly, they are easy to make. Just a thought.

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I decided since I'm not gonna leave my blind out there maybe it will appear more natural if I wear my leaf cut out real tree Camo top and sit against or behind a tree so they don't see the huge square that wasn't there last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely cannot get away with it here...It really takes a lot of time and vegetation to brush in a ground blind and hunt it that day or even the next couple days...Even then they will still notice it no matter how good it is brushed in....I think you would be better off doing something like Midwest Machine described or creating a homemade blind using brush and tress in that area....

11. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done it, and had some success. Last year the first day out using my ground blind I had a forkhorn about 2 yards away and had a doe with fauns come in at 30 yards and graze. Another time I had a bunch of turkeys walk by, as well as a couple does. Brush it in some when you get there and get after it. It helps to have solid backgrounds. Between a couple large trees or in a patch of leafy saplings or shrubs has worked well for me so far.

12. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brother:
    I have hiked in in ND. Set up by a hale bale. Sprayed it down and waited. Had a doezilla and two fawns come in to 15 yards and one of fawns stuck its head in the blind. Pattern them and it will work.
    Pastor Scotty