Broadhead questions.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by joshua.waymire.1, Aug 24, 2014.

1. joshua.waymire.1

joshua.waymire.1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a nee member and have only been shooting for a little over a year. I've shot before but never took an interest in bow hunting. I'm shooting a Hoyt rampage with a QAD drop away and an HHA optimizer ultra. My question is has anyone shot the toxic broadheads and if so can you tell me what you thought of them. I've been looking into them since last year and I believe they would be phenomenal and perform perfectly. I just haven't talked to anyone about them or seen what the damage and blood trail look like. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot them and they fly ok and will definitely kill if you have the right setup. It goes back to the laws of physics more surface area means more drag. While these broad heads have a 7/8 inch cutting diameter they have 5 inches of cutting surface right. That means a lot of drag. If you have a low KE setup I would probably steer clear. If you have a bone busting setup. Go for it. That is just my opinion and observation and based on no fact other than what I think. Others will have a different opinion I am sure.

3. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I have enough force to keep them going. I'm at 65# right now, I would be shooting 70# but my shoulder can't handle it anymore due to the army. I'm just curious as to how much damage is caused and how good the blood trail is. I've watched multiple videos on them and they seem like they're amazing and the deer usually drop within 20 yards. I'm just looking for any and all info on them that I can get before I commit to them.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking for a fixed blade the one I would recommend would be the QAD Exodus. Its a solid head with thick blades that leaves a decent blood trail in most cases. I fyi are really courious though try the toxic heads you might like them. Will never know if you don't try them.

5. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm more than likely going to try them just to see what they are this season. I also thought about switching my blazer vanes out for starrflight fobs but after seeing them or should I say hearing them at the local range I decided they're too loud to hunt with.

6. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    swhackers man!! all the way.. oh and thanks for your service. everything you and your buddies have done/are doing is greatly appreciated, especially by us bowhunters. without you guys, what would we have? certainly not this. im pretty sure i can speak for everyone when i say we all really appreciate you guys.

7. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. But I'm not too fond of mechanical broadheads. I've seen too many fail or not open so I try to stay away from them.

8. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was scared of that too.. But with a lot of research and testing, there's nothing that can make these fail. There are no parts.. The blades just pivot. We are all entitled to our own opinion though. Good luck this year!

9. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking into them more and I kinda like what I see. I'm torn now between toxics and swhackers. I like both for different reasons so it's going to be a tough choice.

10. TIGGLEBITTIES

TIGGLEBITTIES Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was wary of them - I've been sucked into many a fancy looking fishing lure that catches the buyer quicker than any other animal

But after research & accepting the fact that shot placement and power behind the arrow are what kill, I went for it.

It was my first season bow hunting instead of rifle
    So, I got to see many of my arrows fly past the deer... Haha they fly just fine and dropped a couple snowshoe rabbits in two feet.
    Probably doesn't help ya much
    But what I always go back to is the fact that long ago, people killed animals with bows and arrows made of sticks and tree limbs with obsidian arrow tips. We've got a badass compound bow and a carbon arrow with razor blades on the end. Hit the heart & lungs and you'll kill something easy.

11. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I was just curious about how they fly and the blood trail they leave

12. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love my two blade rage...Many a deer and bear has bowed to these devastating injury inflicting broadheads....honestly though you can kill an animal with a field tip if you hit the boiler maker. I did a lot of research on the blood runner too. That would be my second choice.
    pic is from my bear hunt last week...230 lbs Canadian black bear shot in the heart. Bear went less than 30 yards...
    20140818_170237.jpg

13. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a big fan of rage, I've seen too many blades get broken on rib cages

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its about shooting sharp broad-heads through the vitals. Game over. Avoid gimmicks... they don't help one bit. My.02

15. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just torn between 2 broadheads, either toxics or the dead ringer rampage. They both look very effective and durable. I've seen both go through steel barrels and still be fine. I can't say the same for rage or swhacker

16. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line is get whatever you want, make sure the blades are sharp and hit the vitals! Some may require a little tuning, others may fly just like your field point. It's all personal preference, same as bows themselves. Practice, practice, practice no matter what you shoot!

17. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I Have not experienced any issues with the original 2 blade Rage and have been shooting them since they came out. Maybe I have just been lucky. My friend tried the Rage Hypodermics last year and I agree those things are junk!!
    Good luck in whatever you decide. Perhaps take a few different brands that you are considering to a 3D broadhead course and shoot them if you are able?

18. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I am confused.

19. joshua.waymire.1

Dislikes Received:
    How are you confused?

20. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    You sound as if you have no experience with selecting broad-heads ... but are choosing based on your experience.

Anyway... FWIW... Your choices are mechanical vs. fixed. Light vs. heavy. Radical design vs. tried and true. IMO You can't go wrong with anything Muzzy or Slick Trick. As far as mechanicals go... there are too many guys shooting Shwackers to dis them. Shooting through a barrel proves little. Take it from the guys who use them... stick with something proven that flies great and penetrates great from your set-up and you will do fine. I have never seen a deer lost that was the broadhead's fault.