New cam, not quite there yet?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tomekkplk, Aug 21, 2014.

1. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I was out shooting (practicing at a local archery shop) until I got fed up with why I could never group the arrows and every sight adjustment did nothing. So I go to the guy at the desk who runs the place, ask him for some help. He then gladly walks out with me and checks how I shoot. He concluded I need a longer draw length.

I go to a different shop with the equipment to change it and I went from a 28.5 to a 29 since they were out of 29.5. After I gave it a try, it shot bulls eye. The string was a little bit short of having my nose touch it. So which leads me to my question, is that still okay? or should I go to the 29.5?

Also, he called my arrows K-Mart arrows lol, they were cabelas carbon hunters, which I only practice shoot for now as this will be my first hunting season. I'm planning on Blood lines with G5's

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Extend your arms and measure, then devide the total by 2.5. Tis will give you your approximate draw length.

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your fine, It don't need to touch your nose. I know a lot of folks do though. Everyone anchor's differently. I'm got you got it set up right. I see a lot of folks shooting too short it seems like.

4. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I think it's the initial adjustment when you buy it. People tend to lean into the bow and lift their shoulder. Couple guys at work said they did the same when they first got theirs.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Consistency is key. Doe stye draw length feel right to you. Also you can play with your d-loop if you have one to extend or shorten a little. As long as you are grouping good you should be ok. And that applies to you "K Mart arrows" too. You don't have to shoot 30 dollars down range to be accurate :) Those arrows are a relabel of another brand anyhow. Sure it looks good but not a necessity.

6. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Feels much better, more natural? If you will. No need to move shoulders, lean in and actually the 55lb i have it set to is actually starting to feel a bit too easy to draw

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those K-Mart arrows are made for Cabelas by Beaman, tell him to pound sand if they work for you they work