Having the worst time sighting in!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Huntingirl23, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Huntingirl23

Huntingirl23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what to do at this point. It's about 11 days until season and I'm not even sighted into 30 yards yet. I was doing great getting grouping so good i was hitting my arrows. But i switched sights and now no matter what i do, i can't get sighted in and my arrows are all over the target... I'm so stressed and angry. Nothing else other than the poundage was changed either. So I'm to the point where I'm so upset I'm ready to give up.

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go back to your old sight then if you were shooting better with it, so you will feel more confident for this season

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I know it's close to your hunting season but you should take a day or two off from shooting to clear your mind and relax. In many cases the problem isn't your equipment, it's your brain. Give it a break and it will undoubtedly do you some good.

Second, go back to the basics and start small. Don't worry about shooting 30 yards. Worry about shooting 10 and 15 yards. Focus on proper form and mechanics. Make sure you get that down and can group your arrows well, then slowly start moving back to further distances.

Also, how much did the poundage change? In most cases a pound or two either direction isn't going to throw you off too bad. But if it was a big move, say 5 lbs or more, you could have a tuning issue with your bow. If you have a local pro shop handy it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to have them look your bow over.

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great response Justin! Follow his suggestions and you should be on the right track!

5. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot better than my suggestion! Was only thing I could think of at first but Justin has some great advice there.

6. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find archery a lot like golf. A person can get in there own head real easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk