practice habits?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Aug 19, 2014.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how often do you guys practice? how many arrows a week? throw some numbers at me. im sort of thinking im a freak for shooting every day..:p

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe 10 arrows 3 or 4 times weekly this time of year. Winter and never honestly.

3. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 3 to 4 times a week. I might shoot a dozen shots, or I might shoot 50-60 shots during any one session. As the season gets close, I will go to single arrow practice. I'll shoot one arrow, and if it hits precisely where I want, and my aim and follow thru is good, I'm done for the day.

The single arrow session pretty much simulates the hunting situation. It works for me, and I have been doing it this way for over 20 years.

4. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a little more than 4 weeks here before the opener. I am shooting every day around 60-100 arrows a day. I can hardly shoot much when the weather is humid. I am struggling with trying to shoot that much, but I am doing it.

5. Nocturnal Machinist

Nocturnal Machinist Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot a few dozen every day if had the time and place. Practice makes perfect and all that!

6. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I'm shooting at least a quiver (5 arrows) a day. Quickfletch's are expensive!

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    20 or so everyday. (Helps that I have a range out to 60 yards @ my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now I try and get out more days than not and shoot however much I have time for, anywhere from a dozen to a few hundred, usually a few dozen average. Last week shot over a hundred from climber and ground blinds as I finished clearing lanes for them and just making sure everything was good to go. I'll try and get up on my roof for some elevated shooting once a week now and set my targets around my yard for different angles and distances. I do the one arrow shoot before heading out to hunt just to "loosen up" or refresh the feel for the day. Sometimes I'll shoot more before an afternoon hunt too.

9. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As the season gets closer I will just shoot one arrow every time I head outside to get in the mindset you need to make that one arrow count. In the off season I'll shoot as much as I can. I just need to be careful to keep my practice sessions useful. It does no good to go sling a hundred arrows just to say you shot a hundred times today. Unless you are working on strengthening your 'bow muscles' I suppose.

10. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot about 15 - 20 arrows 3-4 times a week right now. I do try to work on different things such as holding for 1 minute before releasing arrow and moving to random distances and shooting 1 arrow. I always try to perfectly place my 1st arrow of the day as I consider that my money shot. As season gets underway I practice less as hunting time and less daylight limit my time.

11. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly what I am trying to do right now. I need to strengthen my 'bow muscles' a bit. I lowered the poundage on my bow just a little to allow myself the chance to build. 1-2 weeks before opener I will put the poundage up where I will use for hunting.

12. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all of the replies, you guys! Some of y'all's practice habits are very interesting. Goodluck this year!

13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've pinpointed and improved on several areas of my draw and anchor that needed work with lots of repetitions and thought, aside from the enjoyment of the sport, and always quit as soon as I feel any fatigue. Every shot I take is useful and enjoyed, just so my habits of more shooting than others doesn't get stereotyped in with people shooting that much for other reasons...

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the time and enjoy it just do it. I don't shoot as much as I like and shoot as much as time allows. Mainly because I enjoy it and find archery relaxing. Its quiet and I can set my own goals so no pressure. Have fun with it and we are all freaks in one way or the other. :tu:

15. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have this buddy, and I am sure most of us here have a 'buddy' just like mine...He is one of those kind of guys that buys a used bow with less than a week before season starts. He goes out maybe a total of 2-3 times and shoots maybe around 20 arrows and thinks he is ready to hunt. There is no talking to these kinds of people. They just don't get it.

16. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My apologies if you thought I was taking shots at your shooting habits. I was not. I was more referring to my own INability to set the bow down when I start to feel that fatigue. Quit hitting spots, groups loosen up, and I start wondering what in the world am I do wrong. I know for me that can make things turn ugly quickly haha.

17. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like many here, I shoot maybe 15 to 20 arrows during an average practice session...most at 40 yards. No one else has mentioned this but I suspect that others do what I do...most of my practice is in low light situations. I either wait until right at sundown or get up early or shoot in shady areas to try and duplicate the lighting conditions I will see when hunting.

18. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. Wasn't sure if it was or not so just figured I'd explain a little more why I practice like i do. Lots of people don't shoot as much as I try to, some shoot more, some less, so sometimes it's taken as pointless shooting.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot like I used to but that is ok. Right now I am shooting about 20 arrows, 3-4 days a week. I just put up an elevated stand in the back yard and will start broadhead tuning soon.

20. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much go right along with everyone as well. I'm shooting a few dozen arrows now and as the season gets closer I'll taper off to just a 3 arrow group and really focusing on all three. If the shot is perfect and everything felt good I'm done if not I'll keep shooting.