Mock scrape dripper.......when and where ?????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StringPuller#1, Aug 15, 2014.

1. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm dying to go hang this thing up. I'm hunting an area where there's about a city block area sized soy field(I don't know acreage by eye). When should I hang this thing up ? How far off the field edge ?
    In my mind I see it hanging in a semi secluded area no more than 100 yards off the soy with a cam on it. Big NastyRack visits it evenings on the way to the soy or mornings coming off the field to bed, I get the time stamp off the film and set up tree high opening day and wait.
    Any advice is appreciated, I've got a large buck on film in the area from a few weeks ago and I really want to get this deer. It's public land so I need to get first crack at him before hunt pressure drives him nocturnal or the rut makes him roam away too far.......or someone else gets him. Thanks and good luck to all this season :D

2. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    3 days on here and 50 views........no one wants to talk to me ?

3. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt worry too much about a dripper this early on. Just find where he is feeding and try and cut him off.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had too much luck with a dripper but I will say I have been told to have them on a field edge or somewhere along a path to and from bedding.

5. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tine dispenser from code blue works well when the time is right.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to hang a dripper this week sometime. It's not too early to get a scrape established. Deer hit some scrapes year round. Mine with be along a treeline that I know is getting used a lot, but I think in the smaller area you're talking, they'll find it where ever you put it. Wouldn't hurt to have it within range of a stand site :tu:

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would never encourage a scrape along a field edge unless it is a secluded field edge that is still gonna feel safe...otherwise the main activity at it by mature bucks will typically be at night or un-huntable times. I always try to encourage scraping in the interior portions of properties especially routes from bedding to plots that are easily accessed yet safe to visit for them during the day.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and yeah deer use communal/community scrapes year long....

[​IMG]

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually start my mock scrapes within the next couple weeks, but don't use any in heat scents, that would really throw them off. Just use some mock scrape starter or regular deer pee and hang it somewhere that also has a licking branch. Clear away the debris on the ground and you're good to go. I would just put it on the field edge somewhere near where he enters or exits.

10. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips. I'm about to go hang it today. Hope to get more pics of this nice buck in the area. This is my first time since starting bowhunting 3 years ago I have cam pics and am after one specific buck............I feel like a semi-pro.......all I need is a few sponsors and a cable tv spot.........BOWHUNT OR DIE !!!!!!:wave: