Cant win with neighbors

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buggs, Aug 13, 2014.

1. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We own a cabin on 10 acres, sits next to 30 acres (no cabins) of members from our deer camp - so - 40 acres altogether. Being honest, we have homesteaders across the road who are very decent people - except - they don't like it when we shoot or sight in deer rifles - ever, scares their animals?. They also make left handed comments about "City folk cabin owners" coming up every deer season and shooting does - even though most don't with the exception of a youth hunter or one of the elderly members of our camp (completely legal). Most of us (anywhere between 4 and 10 of us depending on the year) consider and practice QDMA (to slightly differing degrees). I (not everyone else at deer camp) also have exclusive permission to also hunt 2 nearby 40's that touch the neighbors property. More left handed comments about hunting borders even though I don't have a stand within 300 yds of the neighbors property. We put in food plots and bait - yet more left handed comments about attempts to "hold" deer. My point is - what are we doing wrong? We quit shooting rifles altogether (just small caliber) and always call first before we do so. Everyone is legal in every aspect - no exceptions. This cabin has been in the family since the 50's. 2 years ago we had bullet holes in our trailer, outhouse, signage, etc and a broken front window, could have been anybody - right? Is this common place, does it happen in your little slice of heaven, and assuming everyone reading this are decent people like we strive to be, how would you handle this? Frustrated!!!

2. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd turn in to an ******* real fast.

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just ignore the comments. Not worth your time.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have a good alibi :ninja:

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is yours and you can do as you like. I have seen a bunch of these situations play out over the years.

Very long story short, don't sight in close by and take them over a fresh pie and a smile the next time you are around.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What French said^^^^

Several years ago when we were raising a lot of produce, I had several propane cannons on loan from the MDC and KDC and the neighbors all the way around (keep in mind the closest was over 1/2 mile away) would call about three times a week during produce season complaining about the booms. I'd just laugh and apologize and take them a bag of sweet corn and a melon once in a while and things were fine.

(For those that don't know, propane cannons are devices on timers that send off a shot once in a while to spook birds and deer off crops like produce)

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would just ignore the comments. Words cant hurt you, sounds to me they are against hunting, and we all know non hunters dont like us ! Best of luck, keep us updated.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!

9. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your saying kill them with kindness.

10. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its a control issue "I live here year round and so I set the rules", even though our cabin has been in the family 60 plus years, and they've only been here 10. They do hunt as well, do have farm animals on a large tract of land and otherwise are cordial and mind their own business - until it comes to deer hunting. No issues with coyote hounds, beer around the campfire, ATV's, etc... just October and November bow and firearm season. Saw a thread on another post called "territorial hunters", but that primarily referred to public land hunters staking out their claim. It would be easier if they came across as ***holeish, but honestly that's not the case. Baffled because we want to be known as decent people at deer camp. We do get along great with most all the locals as every year they visit us when we're up.

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir. Kill the situation with kindness. No need for enemies that close.

12. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The man is completely right, your property and permissions, it's legal so do as you please. Slow to anger. Good things will come your way.

13. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone else. Be as honest and polite as possible with them. It's not your fault they have an attitude, it's theirs. If for some reason they want to be cutting towards you, the less you let it affect you, the more it will bother them. Maybe one day they will realize the only ones they are affecting are themselves cause no one else cares what they think.

-Andrew

14. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill them with kindness and just keep doing as you are

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you ain't going to win by being nice, F'em. You tried.
    Now myself if I tried being civil and that didn't work I'd gather up all my people that enjoy target shooting or training and start planting lead and brass into an appropriate berm.
    Every weekend if I could.

But that's just me and people thinking they can have any influence on legal activities that don't take place on their property just piss me off.

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly.

If you are law-abiding whatever they say doesn't matter! Just keep being polite when you encounter them, but continue on your own ways. Camp should be fun and memory making moments, not filled with neighbors who ruin that.

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a guy and his wife up the road from us that are like that. Hates cabin owners. So if you don't live there you are pond skum and should not be there.

18. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind that this is your property and you can do with it as you want. That being said, a bad neighbor is one of the worst things you can have so don't piss them off too much. I doubt you'll be able to please them so just have some fun and don't piss them off too much.

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

If someone tried to give me a pie I would think they were bat crap crazy. Who gives away a perfectly good pie? Cupcakes, maybe. Cookies I guess. But pie?

20. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Killing them with kindness is the best approach.

Not sure I could keep killing them with kindness after you have tried for this long. It is your property....not theirs. They dont like it? Too F'ing bad.

I would think about setting up a cell phone text to trail cam system high in a tree for trespassers. Prosecute.