GoPro Black Users, help please.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So this morning I came into work with presents on my desk. My boss bought me a GoPro Black to use for videoing footage for testing on our targets, to use to video my hunts for future commercial footage and just to play around with and use for whatever video we may want. He also had another game camera in the bag which was just a bonus.

I personally have no experience videoing using a go pro, doing any editing, what editing software to buy or what accessories may come in handy for the GoPro. Now my wife on the other hand is a genius at editing photos and has a natural talent and passion for editing photo's and learning how to edit video. She has used just the windows movie maker and a cheap point and shoot camera with video capabilities to create some pretty cool videos of some of my shooting footage already. I have a ton of ideas in my head for hunting and other type footage as well.

So give me some ideas of accessories, advise on self filming using a GoPro and any advise on user friendly, affordable editing software. Also, is there an external viewing screen made for these cameras?

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They have an app you can use as a view finder and an external viewfinder you can put on the back.

Also I like this arm they sell. Very useful for all types of applications.

[​IMG]

3. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This looks amazing!

4. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look up the field archer on you tube, he does some really great angles and video using go pros. Some of the best I've seen. He is on Facebook to, not for sure if he is a member here or not. I'm sure he would be able to give pointers. I use a go pro hero2 as a 2nd angle cam for footage of me shooting. I just use a small gorilla pod and wrap it around a my bow hanger in stand or around a pole on my blind.

Also if you want to use with a tri-pod you have to buy the tri-pod mount.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing to offer this thread....I just wanted to say that compass on your bow is a GENIOUS idea

6. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want either a boss like yours or a job like yours. I haven't decided which. But, how cool!

No tips from me as I just edit in Windows Movie Maker.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say I am blessed to be able to do what I do. The boss is alright but, the people I have been in the position to meet has been awesome. This industry is full of great people.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I saw this online and will probably be getting one.

The handle bar mount came with a rubber insert that I believe will fit on my string stop bar. I'm not sure how the vibration will affect it but, I'll find out shortly.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Vibration should not be an issue with a gopro. No voom so it should be fine.
    I bought the handle clamp as well but what I like about this clamp is it come on and off quickly and you can then put it anywhere.
    On stand or tree limb facing you.

10. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That looks really cool!

11. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have to look him up on youtube. He's a member. And you're absolutely right, some of the best footage you'll ever see.

In regard to editing, If you have a Mac, learn to use iMovie. There are other programs like FinalCut Pro, but iMovie will get you started fairly easy.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The gopro software works fairly well for basic editing. I haven't really used mine much yet, but I did do some slow motion work for our softball team to help identify issues with the girls swing. Worked pretty well.

13. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    https://vimeo.com/103422403

No vibration at all. This is the second test run I did using the mobile app to control the camera. It works very well. The only thing is when saving it to your phone it changes the size so it's not as clear but, still pretty good.

14. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go Pro has a free downloadable movie editor...I can't for the life of me figure it out tho. I use Windows Movie Maker to edit. Its pretty simple but doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.

Go Pro cameras capture pretty amazing video, they are just hampered by not having a zoom which helps to see deer better at distance.

If you have a smart phone there is an Ap that lets you see the camera's point of view.

Just spend some time messing around with it!

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to play around with the time laps on it tomorrow at the show. I have a few other ideas for the rest if the modes too.

16. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you could, will you please face the camera forward and see how it does. I would like to use one for self filming. But I wanna see if it can see the arrow okay.

17. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won one at a carnival so I am gonna use it for a second angle as well. I plan to clamp it on the bottom of my stand, my bow hanger, really anywhere I can put it to catch me drawing etc. I am also gonna try and put it down on the ground and try to shoot a deer while its around.

18. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ton of go pro experience...

First, go pros can record in several formats and a real cool feature is that you can record in 1080p at 45 or 60 fps. This means badass slow motion which would be pretty good for playback of the shot. Also, you can set it to take pics in several delays. The distance will always look further than it really is, just the camera.

These cameras require a class 10 card to. E really effective. My advice get several 32g cards so that you have extras and spring for a couple batteries. You will not regret it.

As far as editing, nearly any editing software will do the trick. Some have more features than others and some are faster. The best thing you can do is get something with more than you think you will need and grow into it. The last thing you can do is get a good computer because editing software and video storage consumes a lot of computing power.

Most of my experience with mine is skydiving and strapping it to the kids at the water park.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

I need to use the slow mo more. How about using the remote and have the camera down near the action and use the remote to start the record? May be problem with the battery running dead before your pry shows up though.

20. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The remote works pretty good but it drains the battery. The feature does allow you to have the go pro off so that might save some juice. Just use the setting to turn the light and sound off. You could try setting it up during a session of shooting. If it were me, I would use it to get the shots of yourself and another handheld on an arm, but that's just me.

I will charge up my remote and see what I get out of it.