First black bear hunt in 5 days, any advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by turkish621, Aug 12, 2014.

1. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I won a bear hunt and I am going to Ontario for a week to hunt black bear. The place baits, so I will be setting up in a stand or a blind. I am bringing my bow and I am super pumped. Besides bringing lots of ThermaCell, is there anything other recommendations people have for a first time bear hunt?

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bring more ThermaCell.

3. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where ya heading? i did one in northern ontario last year dont be afraid to pass on a bear if its smaller

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you know the anatomy of the bear and where to put your shot...awesome hunt to win, have a blast and best of luck!!!

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make a good shot. I don't think you want a really mad bear coming towards a ground blind! JK, good luck and sounds like a great opportunity! Post pics!

6. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bear 2.jpg bear 3.jpg bear 4.jpg

Black flies are not as bad this time of the year as for the spring hunt, still bring a net...

For the hunt itself, be patient and very quiet. They are not too concerned with human smell at a bait, but they will know right away that you are there if there is any noise...
    Ask whoever has done the baits, how many bears are hanging around there. Hard to judge bear size compared to other game like deer and moose, but if the first one that shows up looks nervous... wait there is a bigger one near.

7. turkish621

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the pictures Chopper. I am not sure of the name of the place, it is by lac des mille lacs.
    Patmcm, that is the thing that I am most nervous about. I don't want to pass on a decent one early and never have a chance later. But I don't want to shoot a small one and then see a monster. I guess that is why people go back year after year, ha!

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. If (when) I am successful, I will make sure to post some pictures

8. choppersk61

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing with the bait is that the bears are comfortable around it and they will come back as long as you don't spook it. So if you are there for a few days, you can let one pass if you are not sure if it's a shooter or not. He'll be back.

It's not like passing on a deer that you will never see again.

Also, on well established baits, they are very difficult to hear when they approach the bait because they mostly travel the same trails in and out. You might just hear one or two branches crack and that's it he's there.

Pay attention to squirrels... they normally freak when a bear walks in the area and they let you know something's off. So if it's quiet for a few hours and then the squirrel starts yapping...get ready.

Good luck and good hunt.

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have donuts or candy in your pockets...

But seriously that is awesome! hope you have a blast and good luck!!

10. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a lottery ticket. Hot hand and all that. Otherwise, have fun and make sure you know your target. I personally would want to carry a sidearm for bear hunting, but I don't know the laws for that kind of "international" travel or how Ontario deals with that. Good luck!

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Give the bear some time to settle down at the bait. Relax pick a spot and let her rip. Use the barrels to gauge size. If there is a 55 gallon drum standing upright and the back is over the barrel shoot!! Just make sure it is a 55 not a 35. :) Also if the guide will let you take a 5 foot long stick and throw it out on the ground to use as a gauge as well. You are looking for ears that look small and on the side of the head. Give the bear at least 15 minutes on the bait just to make sure that it is not a sow with cubs. Most of the time they come barreling in but some times she runs them up a tree to check it out first. last but not least just have fun and enjoy the hunt. Good luck. :tu:

12. choppersk61

Dislikes Received:
    No side arm in Canada...

Unless you're a cop on duty!

Best way to miss your hunt, and be sent right back to the States is to bring a side arm through customs...
    Same for AR type weapons... leave them home. Good old bolt action with a 5 bullet clip or less.

No problem whatsoever taking your bow north, which I assume is what you'll be hunting with, this being a Bow Hunting forum...

MINIMUM Broadhead diameter to legally hunt in Canada is 7/8''

Black bears are easy to kill, soft ribcages almost like a cat.

Arrows are almost always through and through and they just run back the same direction they came from when they're hit. (Normally turning on the arrow exit side... don't ask me why...)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No side arms but if you feeling uneasy you can always invest in bear spray after you cross the border. Its essentially mace for bears. I don't like using because it sucks to get hit with that stuff and I would feel guilty for days but its better than being a chew toy.

14. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun your guide.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Have fun and good luck to you. Make sure to get some pics with or without a kill. Pics are always fun.

15. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good advice already. What I have noticed is that most of the times, especially during the fall is that the bears tend to circle the bait site and are pretty wary when they come in, at least the bigger ones. They know the score when they approach a bait site and are careful. They can hear very well, had one come in and was about 40 yds away when I clicked my camera on, the shutter opening made a very slight discernible click, the bear stopped slowly turned and left the vicinity without coming to the bait, I honestly could barely hear it. Another time a big bear came under my stand smelled where I laid my pack down to climb the tree and left without presenting a shot opportunity. Being absolutely still the last couple of hours before dark is essential and has been already stated they can move extremely quietly, it always amazes me to see something that large move through the woods without any sound.

Best of luck.

16. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has covered it. I'm a avid bear hunter and live in bear country ontario. We're baiting like crazy and we too are going up to our camp this weekend and next.

As was stated above be still and quite can't stress that enough. Deer come through the bush like a lawn mower. Bear will be at the base of your tree looking up at you and you had no clue he walked in or was their. They are incredibly sneaky. So you have to behave the entire time in the stand as if there is a bear right in front of you. Because you never know when they are actually there looking at you.

When the bear arrives just relax no rush. He will normally sniff the bait barrel then start rolling it around, jumping on it etc. way too much movement for a bow kill. And they are still so weary you will never draw that bow without spooking him. Once he got food all over the floor from the barrel and is beginning to indulge. Now is your time to shoot. As others said the boiler room is a little more back then it is for deer.

Oh and ya don't forget the thermacell. Yes black flies are "less" then spring doesn't mean it's pleasant. Noseeums, mosquitoes are all alive and well. I own plenty of long summer gear. So pants, long sleeve shirt, balaclava that are all a thin breathable material. I even wear thin gloves. Only thing exposed is my eyes. Which yes they go into.

Have fun and welcome to ontario.

17. turkish621

Dislikes Received:
    DSC_0185[1].jpg working on getting pictures up

DSC_0175[1].jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  18. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, congrats to you man!!! Glad it all worked out and came together for ya!

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Good looking bear.

20. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Congrats!