What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ArcheryGirl, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

Question. I got Cabela's giftcards for my birthday and how things are looking right now I'll go out hunting this year instead of waiting until next year. Yay!

Not sure what I should buy from it. Binos? A tree stand? Knife? I already got all the camo there is except gloves and a winter hat but other than that what should be a priority?

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tree stand. Not much gonna happen without a good tree stand. Can never go wrong with a nice comfortable tree stand.

3. ArcheryGirl

ArcheryGirl Guest

Any ideas which tree stand that won't break my bank?

4. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good binos are irreplaceable, but so is a nice knife. Cabelas usually has a good sale for the upcoming holiday so maybe wait until then. If you are going in store rather than online try the bargain cave you may be able to get a great deal. I usually stop by there with my little boys every Saturday just for fun and you can find great stuff.

5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bank is a relative term. Nothing breaks Bill Gates bank. I would take a serious look at the Lone Wolf stands. Yes, they're pricey, but they're also considerably lighter and easier to manage. Summit is also a good brand.

I think the general rule is, if you buy a cheap tree stand, you'll be the proud owner of 2 tree stands relatively quickly. The 1st one, and it's replacement. On the bright side, it's never a bad thing to own multiple tree stands.

In short, buy the best one that your budget will allow.

6. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can never have too many stands! I like 'Big Game', API and Summit.... quality, comfort and wont break the bank.

7. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All three are important but you can make do with an old knife and a cheap pair of binos but unless you already have a ground blind it's gonna be awfully hard to hunt without a stand.

8. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All those thing are important, I agree, but theres a pirce of gear that without is gonna make for a miserable experience. Ive been hunting a long long time and I rarely go into the woods without a quality self inflateable life preserver.....shop around though....theres some knock off out there that just rob you :p

9. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get some nice warm clothes from the bargain cave if you can, otherwise I would get a stand. Doesn't matter what stand you have if you are miserable. A solid wool baselayer or something similar will keep you warm and give you the greatest overall bang for your buck. Anything in there with an XXX on the tag means it was a discontinued item and typically not a return (I used to work at cabelas). Generally speaking, even the cheapest Gorilla hang on stands will run around 60 bucks when its on sale (80-100 if its not), then throw in another 50-60 for sticks. Watch your local craigslist for deals. There are some good deals that can be had on Lone Wolf or muddy stands, and they are some of the best, lightweight stands out there (Recently missed out on a LW assault for 120 plus 3 sticks for 90.. 200 for the package).

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Happy birthday!
    2. Congrats in being able to hunt this season.
    3. I personally wouldn't get a stand, and here's why. I believe you mentioned hunting with your step-father? I'm sure he will already have stands hung to hunt from. I would get a harness, some broadheads or like mentioned a good set of base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second Max, I think a harness is a good idea (with a Spyder or something similiar, to lower you to the ground if you were to fall out). I never used one gun hunting - but now I wont go without one. I feel so much safer with it.

12. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this isn't cabelas, but I would look into the tree stands at ****s. Yes they aren't as roomy and are heavier but for just starting out you can't beat a $40 stand. Or you could go with a ladder stand if it's going to be in one place all year.

13. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a trail camera. All the other things you "need" but a trail camera is more of a want. I always try to spend Bday money on wants. Needs come out of savings.

Technically we don't need any of this stuff but luckily my wife agrees with my philosophy.

14. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would probably grab some flares to go with this!! Lol!

I always make a list of items I would like to purchase and then put them in order of importance then I decide which I can afford this year and what has to wait til next year! This year I bought my new Onza XT and a couple trail cams. Next year I will save for some other things.

15. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait, your name is Archerygirl, you have 200 posts but don't hunt? I'm confused.

16. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a horrible problem to have and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Just go ahead and send me those damned gift cards and I'll be sure they are disposed of properly. :)

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is more to archery than hunting. And people come to sites like this to learn. What is there to be confused about?

Archery Girl I may have missed it but where will you be hunting? Midwest, the SE, etc. It will be hard to recommend gear without knowing. Example: many recommend binoculars but in the thick eastern woods I hunt I have never used mine while bowhunting here and they are very low on my list.

18. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say treestand. First a safety harness then treestand. Good Luck!

19. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Asking this forum advice though is bound to be less than perfectly helpful. My list for this year includes: new boots, sending in trail cams for repair, new sight, new stabilizer, re-fletched arrows... And of course I just found a deal on a new bow I couldn't pass up, so now I need to get stuff for that.. The moral of the story is that our average list of things we "need" (but really just want) is about as long as a grocery list for a family of 5.

20. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Summit viper SD. Retail is 289.00$ I've had my two for seven years. One of the better tree stand companies out there IMHO