Wicked hand saw

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by donut757, Aug 5, 2014.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, never read a bad thing about them. They are a bit pricey compared to other hand saws from lawn and garden places, but we all know they only last so long.

Have been looking and all the hand saws are huge. I dont need 10 inch blade while climbing, and the Wicked saw is very close to the size of saw ive been using for the last 2 years. That particular saw was a $15 saw from home depot and has done a fantastic job, but i cant find that same one anywhere. It cut good, lock never fail, and took a good beating especially since it was plastic handle. This summer it has gotten to the point where the blade is starting to stick and not open and close great do to continously being muddy and dirty from riding on the atv.

I know the Wicked are tough and cut good but my concerns are how they perform overtime.

How long do blades last?

How would they handle being in drop box on fourwheeler and being muddy (since that is what got to my last saw)?

I dont have a problem spending the money on good stuff, but if it needs a new blade every year then that wud kind of suck.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are wicked tough! Just buy one! I've been using mine two years and it still cuts like the day I bought it. I pretty much always have it with me when I am in the field.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Extremely tough. I do exactly what you said about the ATV, thats actually where mine is right now. I have had mine for two years or so, and its been put through hell. I trim branches, cut small trees down, use it to rip out vines and weeds, I have even used it to cut the leg bones of a doe my buddy shot. I will probably finally buy a new blade after this upcoming season, just to get it back to original sharpness. It has no problem cutting trees, but I figure I'm about due for a replacement either way.

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't buy a Gerber. They're junk.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fan of mine, haven't had it too long so can't comment on longevity.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And same can be said for the Hooyman's.... I also was a earlier adopter on Wicked tree saw. It's every bit as good as the hand saw!

7. HUNTNFISHIA

HUNTNFISHIA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wicked is great! Love mine!

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had mine for 3 years now.... used it today to cut a willow tree up in the front yard. Still as sharp as the day I bought it! Yea its pricey but I don't even touch my hooyman anymore unless I cant reach it with my wicked.

9. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have their hand saw and pole saw, no regrets and worth every penny.

10. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gerber is all China made now so their blades suck.

11. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't mean to hijack your thread but what are the pros of a good hand saw compared to a hand axe?

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Lighter, quitter, less work and faster?

13. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys typically carry the hand saw or the pole version?

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have one of the first saws that Wicked ever made and it's going on it's 4th season of duty with the same blade. I've used it to saw branches, saw wood 2x4's, saw bone, used it as a hammer and also "may" have used it to pry open some fencing which bent the tip a bit. By and large it works as well today as the first day I got it.

I think that all depends on how much you use it and what you're cutting. Mine's lasted a few years with no issues.

Absolutely. I dropped mine out of the tree on accident in November and forgot about it until the following spring when I picked it up during shed season. With the exception of a few chew marks in the handle from mice it was good as new.

Unless you're cutting concrete blocks with it, you shouldn't need a new blade every year. Make the investment, it's well worth it. :tu:

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spending money on a saw isn't nearly as fun as a bow, arrows or trail cameras.

... still might be the best money I've spent on a hunting product (though I use it year round).

16. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok awesome. Thanks for the responses guys.

I use a saw all year, and every hunt during season just about with my climber and LW set up. Hopefully i will have the good experience most have had.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch some of the videos of Todd the owner of the company using it, I have seen him use it like a axe to chop thru vegitation. When my crappy saw dies, I will be buying one of them.

18. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Im like Jusin and was fortunate enough to get one of the first experimental runs that Todd had made. Frank and I have beat the hell out of it plus used it to cut the pelvic bone on every deer we have shot since having it. We got a new one last year and since then I have been carrying the old one around in the tool box on my work truck. WE use it to cut Pvc conduit all of the time at work. If you have it on you there is always a use for it. They are worth the money and are as tough as a product that you can buy in my opinion.

19. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some great responses. I've wondered the same thing, just hard for me to cough up the $$ at this point. I guess when the handle breaks on my latest cheapie I'll be looking at them a bit more.

20. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys for all the kind words! In the world of saws, they are put through hell! If you ever do break a Wicked saw, regardless of what you do to it - I'll replace it for free - for life....