Buying my first bow!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TSM Havoc, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TSM Havoc

TSM Havoc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 19 years old and I'm looking to buy my first bow. I've looked at a couple bows already, and I want some opinions on which bow I should buy. I tried shooting the PSE stinger, Diamond Core, and Diamond Outlaw bows so far, and I really like the Diamond bows. What other bows should I look at? What is the best bow I could get for under $500 dollars? Please help me out!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at Mission bows. They are great bows for the money.

3. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a pse and love it and my buddy bought a diamond core last year and loves it. It's all about what you shoot the best

4. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Attitude and Authority I hear are pretty good beginner bows. Other thing you may want to look at is what other people say about the companies warranties and customer service are like.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was on a bit of a tight budget when I bought my first bow in March of this year. I shot the Hoyt Charger ($499) and the Bowtech Carbon Knight ($549). Both nice bows but the Carbon Knight was faster, lighter and had no vibration. I noticed the Charger had some vibration but not much. Both are really nice bows and will kill just about anything you come across. Both of those are in your price range and will perform very well on your budget. I think most shops will have some sort of a package deal for a little more money with each of those as well. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with checking out the mission line. I ended up with the mission balistic out of the dozen or more bows I shot.

7. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, same..check out the Mission line. Or look into a Carbon Knight RAK package. Bass Pro has some good package deals, but personally I would take it elsewhere for setup though. Most of those guys in the big box stores aren't that great when it comes to setup and knowledge, they just sell the item!

8. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Attitude ready to hunt package from hunters friend is the way to go!

9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a PSE Brute X for $389 bare bow, I think they renamed them Surge this year. I really like it. I used my sight and whisker biscuit from my PSE Rally I had before. Dropped a turkey with it this past spring season. Can't wait to put a deer down with it.

10. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out some of the big box stores if they take used bows. Especially once October comes around and the new Mathews line rolls out, a lot of people are going to trade in their 2-3 year old Mathews to get the latest and greatest. I picked up my Mathews Helim from Scheels for 500 bucks last year. Otherwise Mission, hoyt, and bowtech have some pretty solid entry level bows at a good price. Lastly, you are better off spending a few extra bucks and getting the bow from an actual pro shop unless you get a really great deal somewhere else. In general the people at a pro shop are better trained and are able to customize the bow to you much better than someone at a big store.

11. NebraskaBowhunter

NebraskaBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a package setup from Bass Pro. It was a Bear bow, and was a good starter bow. I took a few deer with it, and it was reliable. Bear makes quality bows especially as a first bow. Check into them. If I recall correctly I think it was between 5 and 6 hundred total.

12. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was checking out the Diamond Black Ice several years back (when the Black Ice was the latest/greatest thing). The shop I walked into asked if I had shot it and other bows. Being stubborn me, I said no, but that is what I want. The guy ended up talking me into shooting several makers.. Diamond, PSE, Matthews, Bowtech, ect. Ended up shooting the Black Ice and Bowtech Tribute as my favorite two and ended up settling with the Bowtech Tribute as it was just a better fit for me. I loved that bow and killed many deer and a few hogs with it. Since then I did the same, shot many bows and now have a Bowtech Invasion.

Any good bow shop will have you shooting several different bows. They can help a little, but it is more about what "fits" you and how you like it. Shop around, shoot as many makers and models of bow as you can and pick what you are most comfortable. Most hunters I know will swear by 1 maker.. "I like Bowtech only" or "Matthews is the only way to go.." I personally have had Bear bows, PSE bows, Matthews bows, Bowtech.. ect.

Good luck, happy shooting and safe hunting.

13. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the diamond core and love it. I bought the rth package and immediately changed out the rest on it. It has been solid. Since it goes from 40 lb to 70 lb, I was able to start out low and work my way up as a new archer. Harvested my first deer with it last season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. Gremlinsrus

Gremlinsrus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which ever bow you do choose, there are a few things to keep in mind as a new shooter. #1.. a 50-60 lb bow will do the job and probably be more enjoyable for you to shoot as you develop your form. #2 Consider the differences in ATA and BH (axle to axle and brace height) and other features that are "more forgiving". Getting a 28" ATA with a 5" BH as a 1st bow would probably not be the best idea. #3 Your arrows are as important as what you are shooting them out of. With that said, top o line aren't necessary and you will lose a few as you start out. The real importance here is the correct length, spine rating, and weight to produce a consistent grouping and enough KE (kinetic energy) to get the job done. For example.. A bow shooting a 28" draw at max 60 lbs will most likely shoot a 400 spine arrow. Proper arrow length should be around 29" (not including broad head - and there are other applications here that some will argue the length but its a place to start for hunting). The weight, or grains, of your arrow need to be a minimum of 300 grains (5 grains per lb) but 360-420 is recommended (6-7 grains per lb. A 380-400 grain arrow would be best in this example. As far as IBO or speed is concerned, any bow with an IBO 315 or over is plenty.

So.. a 29" 390 grain arrow shot at 28" draw out of a 320 IBO bow at 60# will shoot about 260 fps and produce about 59 ft lbs of energy... more than enough to pass a fixed blade broad head through a deer.

Good luck and enjoy!

15. TSM Havoc

TSM Havoc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone!

16. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a lot of bows and pick the one you like best in your price range. See post above yours for good advice.

17. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the PSE Stinger 3G last year and loved it, but you gotta see whats best for you, try as many bows as you can best of luck!

18. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out parker bow to. Thers a few in your price range if you like them

19. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot an APA Archery Mamba M7. Check them out at apaarchery.com.

20. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of options for you. Let us know what you decide. Be sure to practice and be ready to hunt with it! Good luck