Food Plots legal in California?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a ton of videos with everyone hunting food plots, typically in the mid-west or mid-east part of the states. But I live and hunt in California. Based on the information I've found, and listed below, on our DFG web-site, would you consider a "food plot" legal in CA?

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
    Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal.

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are you growing in your food plot?

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Safest bet is to call and ask them directly. Sounds like you cannot put out a pile of the items listed above but my guess would be that a plot is allowed.

Side Note: Good luck trying to grow a food plot in CA, aren't you guys having a terrible drought this year?

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It didn't say anything about planting food did it? If there is no mention of planting anything to attract wildlife then a food plot should not be a problem.....but as previously suggested, Call and ask to be sure

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I would probably plant alfalfa or soy beans. Yes we are having some trouble with water but I'd probably tap into a nearby spring or pond for water. The big debate here would be the intent of the food plot. I could plant anything and the deer would be all over it, but with it being in the middle of nowhere, I don't think DFG would ever believe it wasn't to "attract" deer. With their definition of baiting: "or other feed whatsoever capable of luring" I believe is the catch all for planting anything and again this goes back to intent and proving intent.

If I were a backwoods guy that didn't work for a local law enforcement agency, it would be an easier decision. I don't mind finding loopholes or being creative but I don't want to end up on the wrong side of what I do for as a profession so I'm being a little extra cautious. However there is the 400 yards rule they throw out there too. Deer would come from MILES to get soy beans out here.

6. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's definitely a kill plot. Plant something else you can eat, unless you do eat that and can process soy beans and alfalfa.

Don't deer eat apples and other things? Grow one. If say soybeans and alfalfa is a dead giveaway

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I had considered fruit trees of some sort. I'm glad you brought that up. Pear or apple or something like that. There does happen to be one pear tree on the property we hunt. However a bear did some pretty good damage to it last year and I don't think it lasted. It would be fairly easy to keep the cows away from the trees, bear not so sure about. I think it would be much easier to defend a few fruit trees here and there rather than a 200 yard plot of soy beans. Heck if the huntin' is slow, you can just grab a snack right! And I guess either way, bear or deer, sounds like fun huntin' to me! :tu: