How is my technique and anchor? (Photo)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DukesArcher, Aug 1, 2014.

1. DukesArcher

DukesArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey,

Would be appreciative f anyone could take a look at my anchor and draw length and give some advice. Getting ok groups out to 40 yards, but I'm 100 percent self taught and need to do what I can for better technique. How does is my anchor look.? Draw length too long?

I'm not gripping the bow tightly btw, my finger tips are just resting on the grip with my hand at the natural angle.

DA

Attached Files:

2. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is solely my opinion....everything looks good including your anchor and draw length...however your positioning seems a bit low....the string should generally be closer, if not touching your nose...it gives a more consistant achoring and allows for less tweak. a good way, at least for me, is the intorduction of a kisser button...they arent for everyone but it significantly produced tighter groups at the longer distances. from where your current anchor point is....you would definately need to make sight adjustments if you were to introduce a kisser at this point..it would also change your peep height...and just in reference to the peep...youre currently using the rubber tubing one which are great...just make sure you use some kind of product to keep it lubricated or it may dry rot through the offseason. I would reccomend the tubeless version but thats again personal preference...hope that helps...cheers

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like said above, your anchor looks a bit low. I put the tip of my nose on the string, helps to get a consistent anchor every time. Also remember to keep a loose grip on your bow hand!

4. DukesArcher

Dislikes Received:
    My boss hand is loose with just my finger tips resting gently on the grip. So I just move my anchor higher?

5. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anchor needs to be higher, which will mean you will need to move your peep up or your nock point up.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everything looks good just raise your anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DukesArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I personally think the bow is too small of me. I'm six for two and he bow is 30 axle to axle.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your nose will not always touch the string. Long draw length and short axle to axle chances are it won't and there is nothing wrong if it doesn't.

Nuts&Bolts on AT posted these once and I saved them because the guy knows his stuff about coaching and shooting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DukesArcher

Dislikes Received:
    That's actually really helpful. In my photo my knuckle is just about right under my ear opening. However that gives me a 28 and a half inch draw. Surely that can't be right for a guy of 6, 2?

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look at your arrow. It's not level. I would raise the bow arm and drop your drawing arm elbow. It also appears that your leaning back a touch. Your draw length looks fine to me. With all that said if you are happy with the way you shoot then go with it!

11. headhunter15

headhunter15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Drop back arm and raise front

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The front end is the problem, not so much the height of the anchor. The release could be higher if you allow things to be more in line with your draw elbow.

http://youtu.be/rNGJo77OAs8

http://youtu.be/rV2SP7PkpME

You have a short bow so anchoring will probably require you to drop your chin slightly to get your nose on the string.

DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD FORWARD.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like this

[​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

14. enemyofsilence

enemyofsilence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say the draw length is about 1-1/2" to 2" too short. Peep is also too low. When at full draw the string should be close to the corner of your mouth. My 2 cents.

15. fakto30

fakto30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like your heads tilted back a touch looks tough trying to see through your peep. Shorten your release up a little which is going to make you bend your bow arm a little more bringing the string closer to your nose and a kisser def helps with consistent anchor. The closer the peep is to you the better you'll be able to see through it also. ;).

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your draw length set at?

17. Camosolo

Camosolo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To start with you need have proper hand placement of your bow hand on the bow. Your left elbow should be pointed outward. To accomplish this you must position the grip area of the bow more into the meat of your lower thumb area so your knuckles on your left hand are at a 40-45 degree angle.

A longer ATA bow would benefit you tremendously. The string angle would be not as severe and you would have a better site window through your peep. Give these a try and you should see improvements in your grouping.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  18. Camosolo

Camosolo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To start with you need have proper hand placement of your bow hand on the bow. Your left elbow should be pointed outward. To accomplish this you must position the grip area of the bow more into the meat of your lower thumb area so your knuckles on your left hand are at a 40-45 degree angle.

Next I would shorten the release and put a kisser button on the string so it touches the corner of your mouth. Your anchor might be just a tad to low in order to get the kisser button position correct. Install and adjust anchor accordingly.

A longer ATA bow would benefit you tremendously. The string angle would be not as severe and you would have a better site window through your peep. Give these a try and you should see improvements in your grouping.

19. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    as ememyofsilence stated, and when I say this dont think that I'm a bow guru or anything but it really appears to me that your draw length is not enough to, did you get this bow from someone? or did you buy it new....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  20. younggun

younggun Newb

Dislikes Received:
    if youre shooting good now, I wouldn't make any major tweaks before hunting season. this winter/spring when the snow comes go and practice in your local range and try to d fix any major problems with stance and adjustments on your bow, just like the game of golf it takes lots of practice to get good. I always try to focus on something different every time at the archery range, that way when the moment of truth comes I am have everything checked off my mental list and my arrow will fly true!